Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Purcahsed airline ticket from OTA that didn't include taxes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

I got in on this "mistake" fare from Miami to Manaus, BR, with an airline I had previously never heard of: Avior. Anyways, they are a Venezuelan carrier, and both directions have a layover in Barcelona, VE. I bought 2 tickets through Vayama for a grand total of $235.40

The itinerary gets ticketed and all looks good until I read this in the fare rules:

IMPORTANT UPON CHECK-IN FOR YOUR FLIGHT AT MIAMI
YOU WILL BE ASKED TO PAY AN AMOUNT FOR TAX
AIRPORT FACILITY CHARGES AND SERVICE FEES
TOTALING 80 USD IN MIAMI THIS AMOUNT IS NOT
INCLUDED IN YOUR TICKET
IMPORTANT TO MAKE YOUR CHECK-IN FLIGHT
MIAMI is requested payment of an amount
A TAX RATES FOR AIRPORT
And service charges amounting to 80 USD
THAT AMOUNT IS NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR TICKET.
Is this even legal? No mention of it when I bought the ticket, no real mention of it on the Avior website with the exception of a small box of fare rules which 99.9% of people do not read. I'm also guessing I will have to pay the $40 fee to leave Brazil also. Normally I could care less about an extra $120 for a ticket but I am going to have to take a positioning flight to Miami and is starting to get to the point that this is barely a deal. I was going to dispute this with my CC company but wanted to get input here first to be sure there isn't some loophole that allows them to do this that I wasn't aware of!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
US law requires the carrier and thus Vayama to have quoted and collected the full price, including taxes (except the Brazil departure tax). You may have a valid DOT complaint here, but the taxes are owed and I doubt that a CC dispute will be sustained. You are certainly entitled to cancel for a full refund and if Vayama won't make that happen, a CC dispute over a refund is more likely.

But, I suspect that you have a bigger problem and that 9V simply won't honor the self-evident mistake fare. With some luck, you will be notified prior to departure from CID. With not such great luck, 9V will tell you at MIA check-in.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:42 am

I believe that this is the relevant DOT regulation (14 CFR 399.84)
§ 399.84 Price advertising. The Board considers any advertising or solicitation by a direct air carrier, indirect air carrier, or an agent of either, for passenger air transportation, a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground accommodations), or a tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that states a price for such air transportation, tour, or tour component to be an unfair or deceptive practice, unless the price stated is the entire price to be paid by the customer to the air carrier, or agent, for such air transportation, tour, or tour component. [PS–113, 49 FR 49440, Dec. 20, 1984]
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...-sec399-84.pdf
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
"I got in on this "mistake" fare from Miami to Manaus..."
You knowingly bought a 'mistake' fare and now you've got your fingers burnt. That's the risk you took.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
OP, Venezuelan carriers often do this though unsure if it's legal. Avior, Santa Barbara and Conviasa all make you pay taxes at the check-in counter.

OP, I doubt this is a mistake fare, but simply a very good deal.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:40 pm
Suspended

All this means for OP is that he can get a refund if he wants one. But, it doesn't mean that he can beat paying the taxes.

For the carrier, it may mean a DOT fine, but so what?

As to whether it's a mistake fare, at this price, I sure as heck would be confirming with 9V that it will honor the tickets before spending a heck of a lot more on domestic tickets to get to MIA. Even then...
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
OP, I doubt this is a mistake fare, but simply a very good deal.
I don't know about you, but 23h+ in both directions in Barcelona, Venezuela doesn't sound very fun to me.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by acmys
I don't know about you, but 23h+ in both directions in Barcelona, Venezuela doesn't sound very fun to me.
Excellent point haha
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
"I got in on this "mistake" fare from Miami to Manaus..."
You knowingly bought a 'mistake' fare and now you've got your fingers burnt. That's the risk you took.
No, the risk of a mistake fare is that your ticket might not be honored. Luckily there are laws in place to mitigate risk when buying an airline ticket.

Originally Posted by Often1
All this means for OP is that he can get a refund if he wants one. But, it doesn't mean that he can beat paying the taxes.

For the carrier, it may mean a DOT fine, but so what?

As to whether it's a mistake fare, at this price, I sure as heck would be confirming with 9V that it will honor the tickets before spending a heck of a lot more on domestic tickets to get to MIA. Even then...

Correct, for the record I'm not outraged and insisting that they honor the price without taxes; I would rather just get a full refund and make the whole thing null and void. I would never file a DOT complaint with a mistake fare. I tried getting a refund from Vayama but unexpectedly their support is terrible.
I'm going to try the cc dispute route.

Originally Posted by acmys
I told my friend that they would some day make a movie about our 5 hour layover in Barcelona

Last edited by beckoa; May 29, 2016 at 2:37 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nsummy
Correct, for the record I'm not outraged and insisting that they honor the price without taxes; I would rather just get a full refund and make the whole thing null and void. I would never file a DOT complaint with a mistake fare. I tried getting a refund from Vayama but unexpectedly their support is terrible.
I'm going to try the cc dispute route.
You should not have a problem with a CC dispute if you point to the sale in violation of US law (cite to the rule) and your attempt to contact Vayama.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by nsummy
I told my friend that they would some day make a movie about our 5 hour layover in Barcelona
LOL - I'd definitely be the first in line to buy a ticket.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:54 am

I've paid taxes in airports before- far more common for south american airlines than the US.
I wouldn't complain, because you snagged a mistake fare.

But it's not them being shady necessarily. It's just different!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Evenstar22
I've paid taxes in airports before- far more common for south american airlines than the US.
I wouldn't complain, because you snagged a mistake fare.

But it's not them being shady necessarily. It's just different!
It is definitionally shady. It is expressly a violation of US law for a ticket originating in the US. The total price includes taxes and may not be increased post purchase.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:25 pm

Scenario: Ticket bought in Vzla in local currency. Flying CCS-MIA. On return segment, MIA-CCS, airport tax is asked to be paid for. Is this allowed?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:17 am
Suspended

There is only one potential airport tax for departures from the US. It is the Passenger Facilities Charge (PFC) which is levied by some airport authorities to pay for airport improvements and is collected as part of the ticket price. It could be up to $4.50. I am fairly certain that MIA does have such a fee.

It would be a violation to collect that fee at the airport as, under US law, it should have been included in the ticket price and it is unlawful to increase the ticket price post purchase. But, it's only $4.50, so if it's anything else you are asking about, I think that you are just getting ripped off entirely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.