Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Expedia price lower than Hotel Price

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Hi all!
This is my first post on FT and as an amateur, I am hoping this is the best place to put it. I've been a lurker for a while and finally decided that I want to get the most out of my traveling experience!

I have a flight booked to Houston in May, and I am looking at staying at the Houstonian. By all accounts, looks like a fabulous hotel and I don't want to miss my weekend morning run + tennis rituals. I booked my flight on Expedia and happened to click the option to add a hotel and save, and the Expedia price is lower than the price for direct booking through the hotel. I called the reservations line and politely asked them if they would match the rate that Expedia was advertising, since it is a price even lower than their direct reservations website [even the Advanced Purchase PrePaid Rate] and she gave me a quick no. The difference is only $23 with taxes.

Is this normal? And if so, is there any disadvantage to me booking on Expedia rather than directly through the hotel in this situation?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: AA
From experience this is fairly common when booking through third party agents. One downside I can see is that you don't earn points on the respective hotels loyalty scheme. Also check if there is a free cancellation policy, many will offer 24 free cancellation. Some third party agents offer cheaper accommodation for non cancellation rates.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
I don't think so provided that all other terms are the same...

Any chains that offer hotel points should already have best rate guarantee - so those are much easier to get the rates matched.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 5:18 pm

The Houstonian seems to be affiliated with the Preferred Hotels group, which does offer a best rate guarantee.

Typically, hotels won't price match a flight+hotel package. So if I were you, I would check Expedia for those dates (independent of the package) and see if that rate is available. If it is, book a refundable rate through Preferred Hotels (which includes a bunch of amenities) and do a price match. If they approve it, you win. If not, cancel the refundable room and book the Expedia one.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
I am told that hotels are actively discouraging third-party bookings. You could be assigned the least-desirable room; in a booked-full situation, you could be walked to another property. Neither of these things, or those mentioned above may happen, but it's possible.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's not uncommon to get a better price on one of the OTAs. Check also for coupons that will bring it down even more.

The downside is you often don't get loyalty points, if that matters to you. I've never had any issues with rooms, I think it's luck of the draw.

There's a lengthy thread on OTA discount codes, look it over.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...elzoo-etc.html

I'd recommend checking Cheaptickets, as its owned by Expedia/Travelocity, has the same hotels, and the best coupon codes. Today, the 18% discount code is "Hightide" . There will be a new one starting tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.