Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Need advice on dealing with Expedia: Better to leave well enough alone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

From perusing previous threads about people's experiences dealing with Expedia, I'm not optimistic about even the collective wisdom and helpfulness of FTers being of much use here. But I'll give it a try.

I have a confirmed Finnair (AY) business class ticket purchased through Expedia for just over a week from now: YYZ (BA) - LHR (BA) - HEL(AY) -SIN(AY) -HEL(AY) - JFK(AA) - YYZ. All of the flights have AY flight numbers.

I received an email from Expedia yesterday asking that I please call immediately about my flight due to changes Finnair has made in the itinerary. After repeated waits and disconnected calls, I reached a supervisor who explained that the last flight of the itinerary (the AA JFK_YYZ) had been canceled. As I we were talking, the call was yet again disconnected. She had confirmed that she had my number and would call back if we were disconnected, but she did not do so.

For what it's worth, coincidentally I'd called BA and AY just two days ago to make sure that everything was in order, and they confirmed this. Both did point out to me that AA had canceled my last leg. Both also confirmed that my bookings with them were fine regardless of what happened with that last leg. (I had not yet gotten around to calling Expedia about this when I received the aforementioned email from Expedia.)

Now, at this point I could not care less about that last JFK-YYZ leg. I just don't want Expedia to mess up the rest of the ticket. So my questions:

1. Most important: Should I just leave well enough alone, not even trying to reach Expedia to try to drop or rebook the last leg? My fear here is the more contact with them, the more likely they will mess this up. Plus, I don't want to waste even more time on this. If I go this route, I'll reconfirm yet again with AY and BA directly to make sure everything is ok.
2. Is there any way of getting through to Expedia to deal with this more easily than their usual phone numbers?
3. The contact email I was given for Expedia by a phone rep was [email protected]. From other posts here, I realize that it's highly unlikely that I'll get any satisfaction from contacting them that way. But does it at least make sense to compile a written record by emailing them?
4. If in fact Expedia does cancel or otherwise screw up my trip, any redress I can seek or at least complaint I can register through such agencies as the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the California state consumer affairs bureau or attorney general's office, etc?

Thanks for any advice!

PS: For what it's worth, I've learned my lesson about not booking with Expedia again. The only reason I did so to begin with was because there had been a fare sale that seemed to disappear from Finnair's site but that Expeida was still offering.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Apr 7, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd start by checking online for the PNRs (IIRC there should be one for each operating carrier) and ticket receipt (try the Saudia airlines website--it works surprisingly well for finding any airline ticket). Check also the AA schedule for NYC to YYZ.

It sounds like you're happy to skip the last leg if your ticket is otherwise untouched, perhaps using a positioning flight in only the SFO-YYZ direction. At first I was going to point out that USA CBP (or airline GAs) could cause trouble in terms for visas and entry if you have no flight out of the USA, but you seem to be a USA resident/citizen.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much, MSP. I've felt somewhat reassured by the checking I did before my posting, but will definitely try what you suggested. (Actually, I've already checked the PNRs, but will check the ticket receipt as well.)

You're right, by the way. Whether the final leg to Toronto is included is not important to me at this point. I just want to make sure that Expedia does not mess up the bulk of the trip.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't know that anyone will face a similar situation as I did, but just in case...

It all worked out, without my having to again try to get through to Expedia. As both AY and BA assured me beforehand, my flights on them were fine.

I do stand by my vow to never book with Expedia again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.