ITA Matrix price error

Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:44 am
Original Poster

ITA Matrix price error

Dear all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I was hoping somebody could help me with ITA Matrix.

Specifically, I'm trying to find a fare from Tokyo-Beijing in March. I selected 'See calendar of lowest fares' departing March 1, 2016 for a stay of 4 nights.

This turns up a number of Air China non-stop HND-PEK flights, between March 15-21, that are priced at 30,310 Yen. For example, one I'm seeing right now is departing Mar 15 and returns Mar 19.

But when I then go to the Air China website to look for these specific airports and dates, the fare jumps by 10,000 yen to 40,310 Yen.

So I'm just wondering why this is happening. Is the ITA Matrix just throwing out phantom fares that cannot be booked? Or am I missing something?

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this is specific to booking online travel, we'll relocate your post.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The fare VA3JC exist. For some reason the return flight is booked in G instead of V. Not sure if V booking inventory is actually available on return flight. It is available on the outbound.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
The fare VA3JC exist. For some reason the return flight is booked in G instead of V. Not sure if V booking inventory is actually available on return flight. It is available on the outbound.
Thank you for the response. Then I don't understand why Matrix was showing V booking availability on the return when Air China wasn't.

In any case, I was able to modify my itinerary slightly to get the price I wanted. The Air China website had a handy grid to show which outbound/return combos had the price that Matrix was showing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.