Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Booking 2 consecutive reservations (mine and wife's) to take advantage of promo code

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking 2 consecutive reservations (mine and wife's) to take advantage of promo code

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

I'm looking to book 4 nights at a riad in Marrakech, each night being a little over $200. Currently, Travelocity has a $100 off $400 promo code that expires today. I want to book 2 nights under my name, use the $100 coupon, then do another 2 nights under my wife's name, using the coupon again. Total would be $200 discounted. Again, this is an riad in Morocco. Do independent properties typically frown on this type of reservation?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I don't see why they should. However, you might have to change room after the first two nights.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Which riad? If one of the smaller ones where you book specific rooms, just be sure to book the same room back to back. Often you can reach the riad manager directly and I've found them to be extremely accommodating.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
It's unclear if the money will come out of Travelocity's pocket or the riad owner's, but understand that you'll almost certainly meet the riad owner and will have to explain why you have two reservations for consecutive nights. What does your gut tell you?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:04 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving over to the Online Travel Booking forum, which houses queries about Travelocity. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: HH Silver
I work at a very small independent property, and I would say for certain that if you prepaid (almost all promo's require this), the hotel will have no idea the price you paid. The money came directly from Travelocity, not the hotel. At my hotel, it is very simple to check the person out, then just check them back into the same room without them even coming to the desk. Occasionally it does cause an issue with housekeeping.

There are lots and lots of reasons for you booking this way. I do it all the time, if my dates are not firm, and I may have to change them. Not to mention, you are both entitled to use the promo code if you both have accounts. No rules that I am aware of who you share your room with.

Last year when Expedia ran a similar promo, I had a guy that had booked 7 nights all individually. Because of FT, I was well aware of why he did it. Did not matter to the hotel at all, because the money came out of Expedia's pocket. I sincerely congratulated him when he checked in, and let him know that he would not need to come to the desk each day.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema
I work at a very small independent property, and I would say for certain that if you prepaid (almost all promo's require this), the hotel will have no idea the price you paid. The money came directly from Travelocity, not the hotel. At my hotel, it is very simple to check the person out, then just check them back into the same room without them even coming to the desk. Occasionally it does cause an issue with housekeeping.

There are lots and lots of reasons for you booking this way. I do it all the time, if my dates are not firm, and I may have to change them. Not to mention, you are both entitled to use the promo code if you both have accounts. No rules that I am aware of who you share your room with.

Last year when Expedia ran a similar promo, I had a guy that had booked 7 nights all individually. Because of FT, I was well aware of why he did it. Did not matter to the hotel at all, because the money came out of Expedia's pocket. I sincerely congratulated him when he checked in, and let him know that he would not need to come to the desk each day.
^

Thanks for sharing your experience from the other side of the check-in desk. So it's safe to say that the money saved by using these promos comes from the online travel booking site's budget and not the hotel's?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
^

Thanks for sharing your experience from the other side of the check-in desk. So it's safe to say that the money saved by using these promos comes from the online travel booking site's budget and not the hotel's?
Short answer, yes. The hotel has no idea what you paid, or that you used a promo code. I have people ask me all the time for even a written receipt, and I have to tell them I cannot even guess what they paid.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Short answer, yes. The hotel has no idea what you paid, or that you used a promo code. I have people ask me all the time for even a written receipt, and I have to tell them I cannot even guess what they paid.
Thank you!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.