Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Hotels changing prices and Booking's best price gurantee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels changing prices and Booking's best price gurantee

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Hotels changing prices and Booking's best price gurantee

I've recently booked a hotel via Booking.com about 3 months in advance of the desired check-in date. I selected the Prepaid rate as it was much lower than the flexible/free cancelation rates. I usually take the prepaid rates as I'd use my travel insurance in case I need to cancel.

About a month later (still 2 months before check-in date), I noticed on booking that the same hotel dropped their price about 30% lower than what I had paid for the same exact room and the lower rate was even fully cancelable.

I contacted Booking about their 'best price guarantee' and they told me that my reservation does not qualify for the guarantee as the prepaid reservation was not fully cancelable. I checked with Expedia and their guarantee for hotels seems to apply to all reservations up to 2 days before check-in on all websites.

Nonetheless Booking.com said they would try to contact the hotel on my behalf to get the lower rates, however I'm a bit disturbed by the same experience. I've always had great prices and services from Booking and never expected this price 'switcharoo' to happen let alone them not matching a lower price on their own website!

Anyone have any advice or a similar experience?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: HH Silver
That is why you should read and understand the fine print before ever prepaying for anything. On the booking.com website:

1. You contacted us immediately after booking with all the details of the other deal including a link to the offer on the website and the exact price being quoted.
2. The other deal is bookable online and is still available when we check.
3. The other deal is subject to the same booking conditions you’ve chosen with Booking.com. This means:
◦It's the same property.
◦It's the same room type, apartment type, etc.
◦The check-in and check-out dates are the same.
◦It has identical room conditions attached (including the meal plan, cancellation policy, package offer, etc.)

4. The conditions of your booking with us still allow penalty-free cancellations and modifications.

You win some, you lose some. That is the whole idea behind the prepay-non cancellable concept. Hotel is guaranteed that income.

Last edited by tatterdema; Nov 19, 2015 at 2:47 am
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:21 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Prepaid and noncancellable/nonrefundable is just that. That is the risk you take with prepaid. You are protected from future increases but then you are locked in from benefiting from any reductions.

You would not expect the property to come back to you and increase your rate if their prices went up... it works both ways.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Switcheroo"?

It's called "dynamic pricing" and it's the status quo.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:21 am
Original Poster

I usually do not check the rate after I booked but it just so happened that I did it this time. Booking.com ended up making an offer they did not have to make to solve the situation and explained things for future bookings. Thumbs up to them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.