Hotwire for rental car?

Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Hotwire for rental car?

Finding rental cars at LAX in November to be ridiculously expensive. Checked on Hotwire and they come in at half the price for some companies. I know you have to pay in advance with Hotwire, but anything I should be aware of? All the car rental agencies at LAX are off-site, so that really shouldn't factor in to over price/convenience. Some companies advertised I never heard of, either. Any to stay away from?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I'm sure you are trying to save money by going via Hotwire, but we have a dedicated forum for Bidding / onLine travel agencies, so I'm moving the question there from Budget Travel.

~moderator
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just be sure that the companies Hotwire could give you are acceptable to you, and know that the money is non-refundable.

I've found similar price differentials at LAX using Hotwire and Priceline, and it all worked out well. Check Priceline, too, as I've had refundable cars through them, i.e., pay at the agency not prepaid.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
EmailKid, it may be better in the rental car forum. The Bidding/Online is more for hotels.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
EmailKid, it may be better in the rental car forum. The Bidding/Online is more for hotels.
Too late now, it's out of my hands, and in the capable hands of Bidding forum moderator.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:00 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
When using something like Hotwire, make sure your price comparison is apples to apples, in other words take the total cost with taxes and all fees of booking through Hotwire vs. booking directly with the rental company. I've heard of occasions where people have paid too much through Hotwire (or others like Priceline) when the taxes and fees were more than the rental company.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Update: Found a reasonable price on Hotwire with Alamo. Went to the Alamo website, signed up for their rewards program and saved 5% over the Hotwire price by booking direct.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by blondietink
Update: Found a reasonable price on Hotwire with Alamo. Went to the Alamo website, signed up for their rewards program and saved 5% over the Hotwire price by booking direct.
^
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Submit your reservation to Autoslash, while you're at it, and they might find you a better deal over time. Doesn't cost anything. Autoslash.com. Thread on it over in the Rental Car Forum, I've used them multiple times with success.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Submit your reservation to Autoslash, while you're at it, and they might find you a better deal over time. Doesn't cost anything. Autoslash.com. Thread on it over in the Rental Car Forum, I've used them multiple times with success.
They have saved me money as well ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.