Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

search feature --> easy choice of alternate airports

Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

On comparing Kayak, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz et al:

I like it when a search allows me to quickly choose airports, e.g. showing a map and then letting me pick up to 4 or 5 airports is the ultimate. Simply miles and choice is similar. Some would let you put in the number of miles, which is helpful.

Seems I remember seeing that on some of the larger search sites.

However I just went down a few and the only smooth one was Google Flight Search, up to 5 and easy shmeasy. Others had various degrees of difficulty. Travelocity (which I thought was a goodie) and Expedia seem to want one city check at a time, unless I am missing something.

Are there others with that feature? Since I often leave from airports that truly have a many possible good airports (e.g. SWF HPN, LGA, JFK, and EWR are often important checks .. or AVL, CLT, GSP) this is the key special ingredient in my searching comparison.

Who is good on this other than Google Flight Search. Feel free to mention other features that you feel are super-important.

Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
ITA matrix has a very functional alternate airport feature.

Romelle
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Kayak has a generic "include nearby", but if you know the area, it also lets you specify a comma separated list of airport codes. So you can search for HPN,JFK,EWR but omit LGA, if you want.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
Kayak has a generic "include nearby", but if you know the area, it also lets you specify a comma separated list of airport codes. So you can search for HPN,JFK,EWR but omit LGA, if you want.
Thanks! I really like Kayak as my #1. And this will make for good use, I usually have the codes in mind or easy to find.

(Some of these may have changed their nearby airport mode leading to my question and frustration. I remember one had a map, maybe it was only an airline site like Southwest, anybody know?)

As for ITA Maxtrix, I may try their App, which was given a positive reference. According to one thread, they are now owned by Google, and google is not making things easy on the ITA side, instead pushing more their Google Flight Search. Google has their own quirks when they purchase a Sam or Harry company.

With the info so far, if I want ease of multi-airports it will be Kayak and Google Flight. If any of the other big boys have a good flexible multi-airport search, they will be in the mix. The reason you need flexibility is generally they will have a limit (4 or 5) and a couple are easy to omit, e.g. regional travel airports rather than long-distance.

Hmmm.. I see that Kayak does have the map I like. Maybe I missed it, or it was out for a day yesterday.

All help appreciated!

Steven Avery

Last edited by Steven Avery; Sep 25, 2015 at 10:26 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.