vrbo.com/701911 double booked

Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Angry vrbo.com/701911 double booked

In early May 2015, when we first contacted Abbey Lane Cottages through VRBO, we inquired about two accommodations, The Captain's Quarters and Cozy Cottage. After consideration and numerous emails with the manager, we booked the Cozy Cottage. We sent our $300.00 deposit and signed a very detailed contract. We received the formal rental confirmation VRBO 701911 on May 27th 2015 for Thursday August 27th to Sunday August 30th.

When we arrived in Picton on August 27th, Abbey Lane's manager told us the Cozy Cottage was not available. Later, he made a passing reference to the fact that we were only renting for 3 nights. He also said he felt entitled to switch us to the Captain's Quarters because of our initial inquiry. When we objected, the manager reacted with disrespect and belligerence. In a underhanded attempt to mollify us, he displayed his handicap and listed his numerous ailments. It was with reluctance that he showed us the Captain's Quarters, and it was clear we were imposing. The situation was extremely uncomfortable, and the Captain's Quarters did not meet with our expectations.

We took the refund of our deposit and went to the local Chamber of Commerce for redress. Their representatives told us Abbey Lane Cottages were no longer members of their organization because too many complaints had been lodged against them. These Chamber representatives were very courteous and kind enough to help us find suitable accommodations on a very busy weekend.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Welcome to FT! This is exactly the kind of thing for which you should write a review on the VRBO website.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:05 pm

Also on Trip Advisor!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As a VRBO owner, I simply don't understand how this can happen, unless it's deliberate. When payment is made through the VRBO system, the dates are marked out automatically on the calendar. This means that it then shows as unavailable to any other enquirer and you simply don't get enquiries about unavailable dates. Occasionally you have to alter the calendar (if, for example, renters want to change their dates), but you have to do that manually and you can't do it by mistake - so this must have been deliberate.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Vrbo 701911

Responding to lhrsfo.

My guess is they double booked it from under us by another means, not VRBO. Also, VRBO is refusing to post our complaint because we didn't actually stay there. Ridiculous since that is in effect, the essence of our complaint.

Last edited by Lise M; Sep 2, 2015 at 1:26 pm Reason: additional info.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:34 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Lise M, welcome to FlyerTalk!

For more discussion, I'll move the thread to the Online Booking and Bidding forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.