Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Otis Travel charging exorbitant cancellation fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I have booked 3 tickets with Otis Travel(online) for traveling from Chicago to Chennai in Qatar airways. Due to some personal exigencies we would not be able to travel as planned on 24th July and requested for cancellation of tickets.

Travel agent is asking $500 per ticket as cancellation fee. When I checked with Qatar airways Chicago office, they said the cancellation as $100 per ticket.
At the time of booking the travel agent didn't specify any terms and conditions on eticket or any other communication.
What options do I have in getting them to agree to Qatar airways policies?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you had booked directly with the carrier, you would pay the carrier's $100 fee. If you book through some third party, you pay the carrier's fee + any fees the third party imposes. Sounds like Otis' fee is $400, so you pay $500.

A tough lesson. For others, yet another example of why it's almost always a bad idea to book through a third party.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If you had booked directly with the carrier, you would pay the carrier's $100 fee. If you book through some third party, you pay the carrier's fee + any fees the third party imposes. Sounds like Otis' fee is $400, so you pay $500.

A tough lesson. For others, yet another example of why it's almost always a bad idea to book through a third party.
Thanks for your reply. Learning it the hard way.
Fare rules and other terms & conditions wasn't mentioned by the agent while booking the tickets. Does it hold water if I choose to raise a complaint? Any suggestions?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Ramjikn
Hi All,

I have booked 3 tickets with Otis Travel(online) for traveling from Chicago to Chennai in Qatar airways. Due to some personal exigencies we would not be able to travel as planned on 24th July and requested for cancellation of tickets.

Travel agent is asking $500 per ticket as cancellation fee. When I checked with Qatar airways Chicago office, they said the cancellation as $100 per ticket.
At the time of booking the travel agent didn't specify any terms and conditions on eticket or any other communication.
What options do I have in getting them to agree to Qatar airways policies?
Was this cancellation fee disclosed to you prior to the purchase of your tickets?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:33 pm

Check those figures - Otis passes on only airline fees

Originally Posted by Often1

The math on that $400 fee doesn't add up. 3 tickets were purchased, and it looks like you're assuming only one. So...$300 of the $500 was expected. Anyhow, $100 per ticket is not Qatar's one and only standard fee. The $100 is a Privilege Club level fee.

Qatar Airlines has a full schedule of fees. Search on Google and find the pdf of their full policy. I found it quickly with "qatar airways cancellation policy".

Otis doesn't control the cancellation fees from the airline and they should be noted on the confirmation email. However, in cases where they are variable, like Qatar, it's not possible to outline every scenario.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Alex L
The math on that $400 fee doesn't add up. 3 tickets were purchased, and it looks like you're assuming only one. So...$300 of the $500 was expected. Anyhow, $100 per ticket is not Qatar's one and only standard fee. The $100 is a Privilege Club level fee.

Qatar Airlines has a full schedule of fees. Search on Google and find the pdf of their full policy. I found it quickly with "qatar airways cancellation policy".

Otis doesn't control the cancellation fees from the airline and they should be noted on the confirmation email. However, in cases where they are variable, like Qatar, it's not possible to outline every scenario.

Hope this helps.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. You willingness to help is admirable however you are replying to a three year old thread so I suspect this has long been sorted by now.
seawolf and SK AAR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.