Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Agoda's hotel cancellation policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:31 am
Original Poster

It was my first time to book a hotel in Taiwan (4 star hotel) through Agoda. When I clicked My Booking it showed "book now & pay nothing until July 4," on the top of my reservation, so what I thought was that I can cancel the reservation without any charges until that time.

However, I clicked Manage Booking today and I found the statement that the hotel will charge a fee worth of first night if it is cancelled after 7 days from check-in (so after doing the calculation for myself it was until July 01 23:59). I was surprised with this simple condition because with other travel angencies such as Orbitz, on the reservation page they clearly showed me the exact date and time that I can cancel the reservation free of charges.

Actually, when I found out this and called Agoda, it was July 02 07:00 AM in the local time and still July 01 in the Central time where I have made a booking. I kept calling Agoda and explained the situation (such as the lack of the word "local time" in the booking condition), but the agents simply said neither their supervisor or the hotel will accept my cancellation request.

I know that I was not careful enough to look over the booking condition, but I was quite surpirsed that Agoda and the hotel was so strict about this policy and say just NO to my request. I was just wordering if this is some normal thing to happen. Anyone had any similiar experiences with Agoda or other booking agencies?

Hope someone would not make the same stupid mistake like me and lose $200 in the air

Last edited by hpc11; Jul 2, 2015 at 1:36 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: HH Silver
You learned a good lesson, just unfortunate it cost you so much. ALWAYS read the cancellation policy and all small print.

Another booking agency I wont name has a $25 cancellation/change fee hidden away in their small print for all hotel booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.