Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotwire 2 Guests vs 3 Guests

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Hotwire 2 Guests vs 3 Guests

Looking for a hotel in Boston for 2 adults and a child (16).

Getting so much better results (different hotels/lower prices) for 2 adults vs 2 adults and a child.

If I book for 2 people, what's going to happen when I get to the hotel?

I suppose I ask for 2 double beds or tell them my daughter decided to come and ask for our options?

Worst possible outcome is she sleeps in a sleeping bag for 2 nights?

Probably not worth the risk?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. I very much doubt that any property considers a 16YOA as a child. She may be your child, but for travel purposes?

2. Best possible outcome is that the property doesn't care.

3. Worst possible outcome is that the property requires you to pay the full rack rate for the room (typically 3-4x the advertised prices and that much more + from Hotwire). # of beds + sleeping bags is not the issue. They may assign you a room with a maximum fire code occupancy of 2 guests. If they do, that doesn't mean 3 guests.

Which outcome? You won't know until you show up and find out.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
1. I very much doubt that any property considers a 16YOA as a child. She may be your child, but for travel purposes?

2. Best possible outcome is that the property doesn't care.

3. Worst possible outcome is that the property requires you to pay the full rack rate for the room (typically 3-4x the advertised prices and that much more + from Hotwire). # of beds + sleeping bags is not the issue. They may assign you a room with a maximum fire code occupancy of 2 guests. If they do, that doesn't mean 3 guests.

Which outcome? You won't know until you show up and find out.
Hotwire box for children says 2-17, so, in this particular instance, I'd definitely consider her a child. Looks like rates go up quite a bit more too if I select 3 adults rather than 2 adults and 1 child.

I don't think hotel websites listing children as up to 17 is uncommon here in the US.

Fair point on the fire code. Will give this some more thought. Would appreciate any other opinions as well.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by lexluthor

Getting so much better results (different hotels/lower prices) for 2 adults vs 2 adults and a child.

I suppose I ask for 2 double beds or tell them my daughter decided to come and ask for our options?

I always leave the number of guests as the default (so one or two adults depending upon the site). When I have traveled with my family, four in total, we have never had an issue. I don't think you should worry about it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:07 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Hotwire is good at passing on your requirements to hotels.... and ensuring that hotels you get can honor your bedding requests. I would not worry as long as you are honest in your initial submission
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
Hotwire is good at passing on your requirements to hotels.... and ensuring that hotels you get can honor your bedding requests. I would not worry as long as you are honest in your initial submission
But I'm suggesting not being totally honest.

I suppose 2 people asking for separate beds has to be a fairly common request.

But, even with a 2 adult request on hotwire, I'd assume they are not obligated to provide 2 beds.

So much better room options for 2 adults.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:41 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If you are looking to lie when you book, all bets are off.

How much of a difference are we talking here?

I personally would not want to arrive at a hotel not knowing if we would have acceptable lodging.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:25 pm

Are you ok with your daughter possibly sleeping on the floor or in a chair, if yes, go ahead and book with just 2 adults. When traveling with our 3 year old I always do this and just ask for two beds when I check in. Most often they have one available. I've never run into any issue at all.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
More importantly, are you OK with the message a 16 YOA learns about her parents when they get called out in front of her at the FD?

Cost of extra bed? $10
Cost of life lesson? Priceless
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

More importantly, are you OK with the message a 16 YOA learns about her parents when they get called out in front of her at the FD?

Cost of extra bed? $10
But aren't you the same guy who thinks it ok to bribe "tip" front desk personnel in order to get an upgraded room?

OP, you can usually get away with doing this in the US. The extra layer of the Hotwire reservation likely makes it less clear to the hotel exactly what the reservation was meant to be. And of course if you have outside doors to your room, versus having to walk through a lobby, things are different, too.

In Europe, they tend to be much more strict about occupancy.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jun 29, 2015 at 4:40 pm
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:47 pm
B1

You should choose a hotel that allows "bed choice" - see Priceline Express Deals or Hotwire. But my best deal in Boston is the guest house by Mass General. It's a very nice place - the John Jeffries House with excellent rates in a great location by the river and Beacon Hill. You can walk to the concerts at Hatch Shell too. There are very large rooms in the basement for families and breakfast is included.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Is it worth the risk? It depends on the neighborhood and which properties are likely to show up.

I think we've done enough Hotwire bookings for Boston under such conditions to have a sense of how this goes. From what we've gotten back in terms of hotels and assigned rooms, I would suggest doing the "2 adults+1 child" selection when searching there and making bookings -- more so for some neighborhoods than other neighborhoods -- rather than selecting rooms for just "2 adults".

Some of the rooms assigned when booking for just "2" wouldn't easily fit a sleeping bag for even a ten year old without being a potential stumbling block or making the rooms feel even more claustrophobic than they may be. But it comes down to the neighborhood, specific property and how busy the property is.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Worst case, I'd sleep on the floor for 2 nights in a sleeping bag. Probably unlikely to come to that anyhow.

Wound up getting Westin Copley place for 2 nights at $240 total savings over pre-paid price on their website.

Selecting 3 people, for the same price I probably would have had to stay in Cambridge and a hotel not nearly as nice.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:41 pm

Cost of extra bed? $10
Dad checks in alone= problem solved.

OP, congrats on getting the Westin, you should be able to get two beds without much of a problem there.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:32 am

Worst case, I'd sleep on the floor for 2 nights in a sleeping bag. Probably unlikely to come to that anyhow.

Wound up getting Westin Copley place for 2 nights at $240 total savings over pre-paid price on their website.

Selecting 3 people, for the same price I probably would have had to stay in Cambridge and a hotel not nearly as nice.
this was a long topic. Kindly mention the rate, and all fees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.