Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding for Flights ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Bidding for Flights ?

I feel comfortable bidding for hotel rooms and have done it many times in the past. I know the deal, you can't cancel easily, you can't get a guaranteed hotel, just an area etc

With flights, i would be worried about getting a flight i just couldn't work with, like a ridiculous layover or something like that

how safe is it to bid on say priceline for flights ?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
My son has done it a number of times for MSP-AMS flights. He hadn't had any problems yet. Tends to get US AIR. And at decent discounts from a direct purchase. Not huge like sometimes used to occur, but worth the effort and risk to him.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but on Priceline's site is information about minimum connections for both domestic and international travel. They seemed reasonable to me. I know when I looked at them I realized I'd done worse to myself when making my own bookings.

I believe you can specify no red-eyes, but you might want to check that.

This web site has more information on flight bidding and would provide assistance if you wanted.

Romelle
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Peterpack
I feel comfortable bidding for hotel rooms and have done it many times in the past. I know the deal, you can't cancel easily, you can't get a guaranteed hotel, just an area etc

With flights, i would be worried about getting a flight i just couldn't work with, like a ridiculous layover or something like that

how safe is it to bid on say priceline for flights ?
Priceline tells you what you are agreeing to so far as layover lengths and number of stops.
The main concern for me is that I often want to leave, for example, late in the day so that I can have a full work day. In that case, Priceline just can't work.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Yesterday I emailed Priceline, asking about layover times. Their response this morning:

"If you book a reservation from the undisclosed rates for domestic flight
the maximum layover time will 3 hours. For international flights we
cannot advise about layover time; however, your flight will be
guaranteed to in the flight window provided to you."

On their web site, for domestic flights there was a message saying 80% of domestic connections are 2 hours or less. And 75% of international connections are 3 hours or less.

Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.