Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

BUYER BEWARE: Expedia will not honour their "Best Price Guarantee"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Expedia's "Best Price Guarantee" isn't so much of a guarantee. I recently searched for a cruise on Expedia.com and was able to find a better price on several competing web sites, including the cruise line's, itself. So, I thought I would book on Expedia and take advantage of their "Best Price Guarantee", which offers a refund of the difference in price, plus a $50 coupon good towards a future Expedia booking. During the booking process, Expedia displays a highlighted box under the price that says: "Congratulations! You're getting the lowest possible rate. We guarantee it." Once the booking was made, Expedia was able to have the difference in price refunded to my credit card, but refused to honour the rest of their guarantee and issue the $50 coupon, citing that they asked the cruise line to issue the refund directly, as opposed to issuing it themselves. Whilst I appreciate Expedia finding a way to match the lower price at no cost to them, the fact that they are skirting their own "Best Price Guarantee" and not making good on the $50 coupon (in spite of the "guarantee" that I was "getting the lowest possible rate" at the time of booking), demonstrates that they will take any opportunity to act in bad faith towards their customers. Buyer beware!!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:41 pm

Just my personal preference, but I would rather book direct
and avoid the middle-man even if I pay more.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paul56
^^^^^^
Don't have to waste time with BS, if there is a problem I just deal directly with the airline/hotel/cruise line. I like having that convenience even if I do have to pay a little more.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Yeah, normally best to avoid 3rd parties when booking travel. The only time I use a 3rd party is for hotels(quite easy to contact hotel to confirm booking) but even then I never use expedia.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the Online Travel Booking Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:39 am
B1

Expedia has a specific process for the best price guarantee and I followed it last summer. They want a screen shot of the lower priced page and a submission through the route that is linked from the Expedia page. In my case they lowered the price and said they would issue a voucher for $50 by email. As in the OP's case, they lowered the price to match the other site but they didn't send the email with the voucher. I called up and was given quite a runaround. First, they said that the voucher is only to be used where there is an "Expedia Special Rate", which is not stated in their guarantee. And then I pointed out that they never sent the email (surprise?). They then did send an email with a voucher number. I have not yet used it. So, for my next trip I used the Hilton site and booked directly for one of their hotels. They have a similar $50 and price match deal. I found the same hotel on Priceline's open site and submitted the claim to Hilton. They matched the price and promised to send an Amex payment card after I completed the trip. I have yet to receive it. I will check back in a month.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Paul56
That is a good personal preference, but what does it have to do with the OP's BRG issue?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I booked a RT Hartford to Vancouver Air Canada flight 2 days ago on Expedia for $540. I found the same exact flight with the same times on Tripsta for $510 and filed a claim. It got denied because Expedia did not check the price for 5 hours and by that time the price had risen. While I understand that the guarantee states that Expedia must verify the price themselves, it seems that very few people will be able to get the money for a BPG for a flight claim with the volatility of flight prices. Why even bother to list flights? You may have a shot with a hotel, but flights? Really, Expedia, this has left a very bad taste in my mouth. We are talking an amount of $80, but you have managed to lose my goodwill, and I won't be rushing back to use your agency again. You've lost a lot more than $80!!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:57 pm

Every best price guarantee is specially designed to be difficult to obtain. That's why it's only advisable to use it for refundable bookings.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:19 pm

I got to the final manager after waiting in total for 7 hours (3 hours on this call alone). I called from a landline so that I could make it to the end. At this point my two tickets were and still are $100 less than what I paid and it was a matter of principle. The manager said to screen shot and send the new price. It was denied. The new price screen shot apparently needed today's date. Of course their system will not allow you to show today's date with the screenshot making it impossible for them to guarantee my price. I took a picture from my computer as well. I would like to begin a class action suit for whomever wants to join. Please add your input as it's very frustrating to be promised something and you spend hours showing its a lower price and then the reps never pick up my call. Please get a hold of me if you're interested in pursuing this. It's ridiculous. And people like this should not be in business. Think about the people affected with no voice. I'm a huge traveler and am platinum on several airlines. im sure they deal with people doing this one time in their lives. But I am not that person and I'm ready to do something about it.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You do not have enough details for anybody here to help you.
1. Where is the property?
2. What were the terms of the booking? Did it permit cancellations with a refund due to family emergencies?
3. How did you pay for the room? Credit card? If so, on a US bank or what country?
4. How much money do you think ought to be refunded?
5. Is this a claim which is better made to your travel insurance?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat
Expedia and Nairobi Safari Club are Thieves !!!

I booked a reservation at this location from September 25 to October 1. I PAID EXPEDIA IN FULL AND IN ADVANCE.

On September 26, I learned of a family emergency back in the US. I checked out early on September 27.

I was told by the hotel manager (Daniel) that they could not refund my remaining four days since I had made the original reservation through Expedia. I was cautious so I asked for a letter from the hotel stating my actual length of stay and that only Expedia could refund my balance. THEY GAVE ME A LETTER SAYING SO.

On September 30, I contacted Expedia. The agent promised to get me the refund once he called the hotel to confirm. Daniel was not available so I called back on October 1.

On October 1, "Mark" from Expedia (a supervisor) told me that Expedia refused to refund my amounts because THE HOTEL could only do so.

I am outraged. These two businesses have defrauded me of SEVERAL hundred dollars and refuse to assist me.

I STRONGLY recommend that you all: (1) avoid NAIROBI SAFARI CLUB at all costs; and (2) take your travel business anywhere EXCEPT Expedia. They are thieves and accomplices.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hossra
I booked a reservation at this location from September 25 to October 1. I PAID EXPEDIA IN FULL AND IN ADVANCE.

On September 26, I learned of a family emergency back in the US. I checked out early on September 27.

I was told by the hotel manager (Daniel) that they could not refund my remaining four days since I had made the original reservation through Expedia. I was cautious so I asked for a letter from the hotel stating my actual length of stay and that only Expedia could refund my balance. THEY GAVE ME A LETTER SAYING SO.

On September 30, I contacted Expedia. The agent promised to get me the refund once he called the hotel to confirm. Daniel was not available so I called back on October 1.

On October 1, "Mark" from Expedia (a supervisor) told me that Expedia refused to refund my amounts because THE HOTEL could only do so.

I am outraged. These two businesses have defrauded me of SEVERAL hundred dollars and refuse to assist me.

I STRONGLY recommend that you all: (1) avoid NAIROBI SAFARI CLUB at all costs; and (2) take your travel business anywhere EXCEPT Expedia. They are thieves and accomplices.
Reported again.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:36 am

Expedia may be a decent aggregator for hotels--lots of small hotels that are difficult to find directly but for major brands--go direct.

Never use Expedia for the consolidated travel types like air or cruise AND DEFINITELY not for insurance. Expedia's insurance is the worst--expensive and bad coverages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.