Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Travel Agency Didn't Pay...Hotel Stuck Me with the Bill

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Agency Didn't Pay...Hotel Stuck Me with the Bill

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, DL Plat AMEX, HHonors Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Question Travel Agency Didn't Pay...Hotel Stuck Me with the Bill

My wife along with her family booked a Groupon stay for a trip to Copenhagen.

Everything was moving along okay, however after returning from the stay I noticed there was a charge on my AMEX for the hotel stay....which should have been paid for by the travel agent.

I reached out to the hotel for clarification, and they stated the Travel Agency had not paid for any of their rooms, so the guests were charged.

Received a copy of the folio via email, and forwarded it along to the Travel Agency (Based in Colorado) for clarification.

No response after repeated emails, so I tried via the phone, still no response or return call.

After 2 weeks, I did receive an email stating they were aware of the issue, however didn't know how they were going to correct it. They continue to be non-responsive.

I also emailed Groupon...no response.

So now I am stuck with double paying for the hotel stay. Since the Groupon was purchased some time ago, and I can no longer dispute the charge with the credit card company.

I am thinking of taking small claims action, however don't know the process as I am in Florida, it was bought on Groupon, the Travel Agency is in Colorado, and the trip was in Denmark.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:57 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I would reach out to Groupon again. I have never had problems getting Groupon to respond to my email messages.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did you pay for everything with the same credit card?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:57 pm

Find groupon's ceo's phone number and phone the ceo's office directly. You tried to go through the front door nicely already.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by EOppie
So now I am stuck with double paying for the hotel stay. Since the Groupon was purchased some time ago, and I can no longer dispute the charge with the credit card company.
Even if it's too late to dispute the charge from Groupon, you can certainly dispute the charge from the hotel. To preserve your rights under the law, make sure that you file the dispute in writing within 60 days. This prevents you from having to pay again while you pursue a resolution from both parties.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:26 pm

This happened to me in Copenhagen with Priceline. Just get in touch with Groupon. Make a chargeback if that fails, but I doubt it will.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by wharvey
I would reach out to Groupon again. I have never had problems getting Groupon to respond to my email messages.
+1 to this. You say you emailed Groupon. Call them instead. I have always found Groupon's customer service to be stellar when something goes wrong. Give them the chance to make it right before you go the court route. I've always called rather than emailed and never had a problem getting issues resolved.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by maniac78
Find groupon's ceo's phone number and phone the ceo's office directly. You tried to go through the front door nicely already.
I agree. Or you can contact Chris Elliott. He'll help you out. elliott.org

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.