Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

"Hotel Fee" Line Item on Priceline Confirmation Screen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

I was just making a bid on hotels. On the confirmation screen, there was a line item reading 'Hotel Fee......$66."

I am guessing this might have something to do with a resort fee - but, how could they have an amount for a resort fee when the hotel has not yet been determined? Also, I know that much to the chagrin of many Priceline does not include resort fees, but perhaps they are changing?

This is in addition to the line for taxes.

Anyone know what this is?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It sounds like a good reason to book somewhere else.

Priceline hides a number of fees, but I've not seen one this large.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

The interesting thing is that the $66 for 3 nights fee corresponds exactly to the amount of the resort fee for the hotel that I think I would be most likely to get.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It sounds like a good reason to book somewhere else.

Priceline hides a number of fees, but I've not seen one this large.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Well, if you are ok with the fee, go for it.

I hate the damn "resort fees" because they make price comparisons very difficult. There oughta be a law!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

I'm more interested in finding out what is going on.

Is Priceline now charging for the resort fees upfront? I suppose that's a good thing.

Can you figure out what hotel is available because they disclose the amount of the resort fee when you make the bid?

I hate the damn "resort fees" because they make price comparisons very difficult.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:25 pm
Suspended

I'd guess you need to call or chat with PL to make sure.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:28 pm
B1

I'd guess you need to call or chat with PL to make sure.
I just did a successful bid on a hotel that has a resort fee. Priceline lists it as a cost (hotel fee) but does not charge it. The statement I had from Priceline is confusing. It has the total amount without the hotel fee listed as "charges" but it also lists the total with the hotel fee as "paid in full". So I called Priceline and was told that the "paid in full" is not correct. I still owe the hotel $100 for four nights at $25. Now, to complicate things further, the hotel lists the fee as $29 per night. The hotel's site also has a rate that has the hotel fee included for less than the rate they list without the hotel fee. So I see the hotel is having a phony higher rate and hotel fee that no one would book and then they charge the fee if you don't book through their own site (Marriott.com). The same hotel charges a large fee for in-room wifi but if you book through their site (and are any level of Marriott Rewards), they waive the fee. This is another way they try to use Priceline to get customers and then make them want to regret that they did. Priceline needs to get some of their power working.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:27 am

There oughta be a law!
in europe there is
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards

I hate the damn "resort fees" because they make price comparisons very difficult. There oughta be a law!
I generally do my best to avoid resort fees and have never paid them. It's one thing to pay ridiculous airline fees because quite often you don't have any viable alternatives. With hotels there are almost always alternatives.

I leave the places with resort fees for the less savvy travellers.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:27 pm
B1

Update - No resort fee when using Priceline bidding

I have now completed the trip I reported a few posts above. I received a resort on a 4.5* bid with no indication at the time of bidding that there would be a fee. When I received the statement of costs, it listed the amount I paid on my credit card for the hotel room with taxes and Priceline's service charge combined. In addition there was a $100 hotel fee ($25 per night), followed by "paid in full" but the total charges were $100 more than they charged to my credit card. When I checked into the hotel, they told me there was a resort fee of $29 per night. They gave me Wi-Fi at no charge and had free parking although they say they charge for both on the Marriott site. When I checked out the statement said I owed nothing as it was all prepaid, including the resort fee.I wonder if you use Priceline bidding they can't charge a fee because they can't mention it until after you agree to pay but they can with Express Deals because they list it before. Or someone made a mistake. The next night I stayed at a low end La Quinta where they tack a $1.50 fee for rental of the room safe, whether you want it or not. That would be the resort fee equivalent for the flea-bag hotels.

Last edited by B1; Mar 19, 2015 at 12:18 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:51 am

I was noticing the same "hotel fee" - the rate fluctuates, (the highest I've seen is $27.50) but I only noticed this hotel fee line when bidding. When trying to book an "Express Deal", I noticed there was no hotel fee line.

Not sure what this is about, but it's deterring me from using their bidding process.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:34 pm

I've noticed the hotel fee, but never had to pay it. YMMV.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
I haven't bid in a while for kind of a lot of reasons - also because I've found some good value on their own express deals - but I wanted to bid 5 * in Seoul and not a whole lot shows up in their express deals for some reason.

So I went to begin bidding and noticed this Hotel Fee line item at over $40 for a 2-night stay. To me, this adds (or potentially adds) a significant amount to the upfront cost, particularly for savvy bidders. I got to the final stage and didn't end up placing a bid because of it.

And I don't think that 5 star hotels in Seoul charge resort fees, or at least I haven't read about that happening.

Don't know what to make of the whole thing but I don't like it...
Old May 16, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some resort fees (mainly in US) are fixed rather than %

interesting re identifying 'mystery' property by fees
Old May 16, 2015, 6:30 pm
B1

Originally Posted by DAV2355711
I haven't bid in a while for kind of a lot of reasons - also because I've found some good value on their own express deals - but I wanted to bid 5 * in Seoul and not a whole lot shows up in their express deals for some reason.

So I went to begin bidding and noticed this Hotel Fee line item at over $40 for a 2-night stay. To me, this adds (or potentially adds) a significant amount to the upfront cost, particularly for savvy bidders. I got to the final stage and didn't end up placing a bid because of it.

And I don't think that 5 star hotels in Seoul charge resort fees, or at least I haven't read about that happening.

Don't know what to make of the whole thing but I don't like it...
The obvious answer is to take the hotel fee into account when you bid. Make an offer where you deduct the amount that will be added for the hotel fee. If the bid is accepted, the fee is really included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.