Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Priceline/Hotwire biding/secret hotel results

Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

I am looking at hotels in Downtown DC from March 1-3 for a conference. I am considering Priceline name your price and Hotwire secret hotels. I am just worried that i will end up in a dump or not in close walking distance to the Washington Convention Center.
I did a Hotwire secret hotel once when going to Paris several years ago. I paid $170 and ended up at a Best Western. It was fine though by no means particularly great. Review here if anyones interested: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19030126-post6.html

So I am curious, can people who have done this for DC specifically but anywhere else would help, post about where they ended up and if the hotel actually met the advertised criteria.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:39 pm

Go to HotelDealsRevealed.com and see a list of known Priceline hotels in DC. This may help ease some of your concerns as it will give you a general idea of the hotels you're very likely to get.

The hotel they give you will meet the specified criteria, including the geographic area. However, just remember that sometimes people do get hotels in the very edge of the area / neighbourhood.

Just do a google search for "Priceline Hotel complaints". You will get lots of people griping about the hotel they got. So if you aren't prepared to take a risk, pay the extra money.

Personally, I only book Priceline when the savings are significant enough to compensate for the risk. This means 25% or more usually. I never book when traveling with my wife as she's not typically as flexible or easy going with respect to hotels. I also never book Priceline when traveling with my kids, as they like a swimming pool, which is not guaranteed on NYOP.

http://www.hoteldealsrevealed.com/ho.../dc/washington
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Another source of seeing hotels people have received via Priceline bidding is www.betterbidding.com. The link on the site is in the header - "Hotel Lists".

The site also has its own hotel reviews. Scroll clear to the end of the site for these, and then look them up alphabetically by state - "D" for DC in this case. Sometimes the perspective of people receiving a bargain rate is different from those who paid retail.

And like ranman1973, I've received hotels at the VERY outer edge of the bidding zone maps. If you do pursue this, scroll in on those maps until you can determine if you'd still be happy with the furthest possible location in the zone you bid.

I've bid Washington, DC and been very happy with the results. I've also bid many other cities with similar results. It is necessary to really research first. The very few times I have been less than satisfied, it has been "operator error".

Romelle
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks everyone for your advice. I bid close to 20 times ranging from $70-204 for 3.5-5 stars. I finally won at $204. I got the Fairmont Georgetown. A 4 star property which is actually in Foggy Bottom across the street from the Park Hyatt. I'm coming to DC for an event at the Convention Center so not the closest, but I guess I am happy. Especially because I was seriously considering paying the $221 Kayak rate for the hotel.

Last edited by BA_Jfan; Jan 30, 2015 at 6:39 am
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:47 pm

Were you also bidding the Georgetown-Foggy Bottom Priceline zone? Because if you were only bidding the Downtown zone, getting a hotel actually in a different zone is grounds for a refund.

Romelle
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

I was indeed bidding Georgetown - Foggy Bottom
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It is a nice property for sure but you were bidding way too high and too early IMO. A discount of only USD 20/nt on a >USD 200 property is an insignificant saving when using PL. But if you are happy with the win I guess all is fine
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Too far out I definitely agree with you on and I am a little upset about it. But I'm not sure I bid too high. Started with about $85 and worked my way up to $180 and they all got rejected. And Priceline emailed me saying their most recent NYOP booking was a 3 star for $199 which seemed high especially as the Holiday Inn downtown was $208 cash.
I'm new to NYOP bidding. What should I know for next time?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Try Orbitz and Cheaptickets using coupon codes and you can often come up with at least that much savings or more, and you know your hotel before buying.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...elzoo-etc.html

Safe Travels,

Doc
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
What should I know for next time?
Research so you always know your next best alternative.

Sometimes one can make a cancelable reservation and then go on bidding until the very last moment.

And like the song - "No regrets". Look forward to your next booking, rather than spend bad time re-examining something already done.

Romelle

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.