Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Expedia and Virgin Australia - DO NOT TRY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia and Virgin Australia - DO NOT TRY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, Emerald Club, Rapid Rewards
Angry Expedia and Virgin Australia - DO NOT TRY

Expedia's linkage to Virgin Australia is so poor that it should not be used. I booked a Virgin Australia flight via Expedia. Expedia does NOT show the fare class so there is no way to see the baggage charges. It turns out that it was a special class with no baggage allowance. I learned this when I was charged double the normal baggage fee of $A35 because I did it at the airport. When I tried to pay ahead of time for the return trip, Virgin said only Expedia can do that and Expedia says they cannot. My conclusion is that Expedia should not be selling tickets on Virgin Australia. Had I booked Qantas on the Qantas site, I would have paid a little more and saved $140 per person in baggage fees.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: Expedia CEx, Travelocity CEx, Travelocity Gnomads
Hi ncearl,

Sorry you had such a bad experience booking Virgin Australia. Can you PM me your itinerary number and email address associated with your account so that I can look into this further for you?

Happy to take a look at our site and work with our eCommerce managers to make sure that other customers don't have the same experience.

On a side note, we have some projects in the pipeline to clarify baggage inclusion. It's actually ranked 2nd in terms of importance on our current Customer Experience Top 10 List!

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Safe Travels,

MG
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
I'd like to know how to go about booking via Expedia for Virgin Australia as well. The system online/app sucks because the link to additional baggage fees is so generic. There are fare types that I will book and others I will not, to avoid these baggage fees.

Is there a way to book online and know the fare type or is calling to book the only way?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by coleworld
I'd like to know how to go about booking via Expedia for Virgin Australia as well. The system online/app sucks because the link to additional baggage fees is so generic. There are fare types that I will book and others I will not, to avoid these baggage fees.

Is there a way to book online and know the fare type or is calling to book the only way?
If you choose advanced search, you can choose Virgin Australia with baggage, or without baggage.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not direct on http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/ ^
Why use some 3rd party web site?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Why not direct on http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/ ^
Why use some 3rd party web site?
One reason might be that Virgin Australia adds a surcharge for credit card payments while Expedia does not.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, QF, BA
Originally Posted by transportprof
One reason might be that Virgin Australia adds a surcharge for credit card payments while Expedia does not.
Sales tax (GST) is also charged on tickets sold domestically...
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by ncearl
Expedia's linkage to Virgin Australia is so poor that it should not be used. I booked a Virgin Australia flight via Expedia. Expedia does NOT show the fare class so there is no way to see the baggage charges. It turns out that it was a special class with no baggage allowance. I learned this when I was charged double the normal baggage fee of $A35 because I did it at the airport. When I tried to pay ahead of time for the return trip, Virgin said only Expedia can do that and Expedia says they cannot. My conclusion is that Expedia should not be selling tickets on Virgin Australia. Had I booked Qantas on the Qantas site, I would have paid a little more and saved $140 per person in baggage fees.
Hi, I'd just like to add that I experienced the same problem with Expedia towards the end of last year!
I'm glad I called Virgin before leaving so that I was aware. As you mention, it's a small outlay for the next class directly through Virgin and when trying to pay in advance through Expedia they wouldn't do it. Even tried cancelling\changing but would've worked out more expensive.
I complained and was explicitly told that I would recieve a call back from management\complaints department. Guess what, I never did!
We've booked a lot through Expedia in the past and always been happy but no more!

Last edited by gfcflyer; Feb 28, 2015 at 12:55 pm Reason: Add to text
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Well I ended up booking via Expedia, after seeing they do show the class codes, and comparing them with Virgin Australia's codes, confirmed that they are Saver Economy (NOT lite) so they should include 1 checked bag.

Hope it all works out
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:12 am

Think they may have changed their bookings now if they have different class. Too late for us now as we travelled November\December last year!

Hope you enjoy your trip
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:39 pm

I just ran into this issue as well, and sent a PM to Expedia as suggested in this thread.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:05 am

Have done the same ^
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that some Virgin Australia operated flights can be booked through Delta.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:21 am
pfd

Did those that fell into this little hole get resolution from Expedia? Having fallen into it myself yesterday, I now have a support call with Expedia open to investigate but it would be useful to know how they have resolved in the past as VA tell me the super saver fares cannot have baggage added retrospectively. I wish I had seen this thread before booking of course as there is nowhere on the Expedia booking process that tells you they are quoting a baggage free fare. To me, "no info" does not mean "NO BAGGAGE".
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:46 pm

I never heard back from them. Fortunately for me, my return flight was operated by Air NZ, so my United Status (*A Silver) got me free checked bags.

Still, out almost $200 for the way out there between me and my wife!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.