Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Tripadvisor Beta - sorting of data.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Arg. Just discovered this. Once you've looked at one hotel Tripadvisor immediately rearranges the list and places 'your' hotel in the first place. No, no, no. I want to know what other people chose and I'll go down THAT list till I find what I want.

The only way I found to rearrange the list was to clear cookies. But it goes all personal again after your first click. This is SUPER irritating.

It's similar to Netflix showing me their guess of my rating as THE rating, as opposed to Amazon showing me what other people rated it, which is what I want to see. You can't read my mind so don't try!!

Anyone have thoughts about this? Suggestions?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
And TA has now begun to organize hotels based on other properties I've looked at, and not only in that city. As in " this hotel in Kathmandu is first since you looked at the Motel 6 in Hamtramak. Almost impossible to break into the old 1-xxx list. I HATE it!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm still seeing the sort function at the top right, where I can change it from "Just for you" to Availability, Ranking, Price (L-H and H-L), and Distance. Are you no longer seeing that option?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'm still seeing the sort function at the top right, where I can change it from "Just for you" to Availability, Ranking, Price (L-H and H-L), and Distance. Are you no longer seeing that option?
Ah. I see it now. Thank you!

It's a workaround for this hindrance. It forces you to do an additional step to fight the site to get what you want.

Note that when you go back to the list it defaults to 'Just F You' again.

Whoever thought this was a good idea?!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by littlesheep
Ah. I see it now. Thank you!

It's a workaround for this hindrance. It forces you to do an additional step to fight the site to get what you want.

Note that when you go back to the list it defaults to 'Just F You' again.

Whoever thought this was a good idea?!
You're right it is annoying that it keeps forcing that! At the very least, it should allow you to select the default sorting order. I also prefer to just see the 1-xxx as the default.

I know websites these days are enamored with "personalizing" your preferences but I have never found one that seemed to really work. What does work, and what I like, is to have a decent sorting/searching functionality that allows me to find things by easily changing multiple variables.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:27 pm

Tripadvisor Beta

Fully agree - this is a poor decision made by TA. It doesn't have enough data to give me anything valuable with this new update.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:11 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the Online Booking and Bidding forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I do not like this change either. I much prefer the ranking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.