Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Can anyone beat these rates @ Silver Springs, MD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Trying to find a room for 4 weeks in Silver Springs, MD near AFI. My choices (rate / night):

Double Tree Hilton $109
Sheraton $99

I won't have a car and these places are just next door to AFI. Still looking at spending a nice chunk of change. Alternatively share a house with other random strangers for $1000 for the entire 4 weeks. Not much luck with airbnb/vrbo/craigslist

Dates: 2/8/15 - 3/6/2015

Last edited by ymarker; Oct 28, 2014 at 9:15 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum

Did you call those hotels to see if they would be willing to give you a discount since you are staying for a month?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

it seems shocking to me you can't find a furnished sublet studio or 1 bedroom for under $1500 a month. AFI is two blocks from the Metro. Perhaps your geographical search limit is too narrow.

(Also, no one can "beat your rates" without knowing what dates you are considering.

Last edited by Adam1222; Oct 28, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qmiro
Did you call those hotels to see if they would be willing to give you a discount since you are staying for a month?
Yeah those are the pre-negotiated rates for other folks who attend conference there for a month. Called homewood suites to negotiate a better rate but didn't get too far. They do offer b'fast and a dinner option (mon-thu), which should save me from eating out all the time. I remember staying at a hotel for a year and eating the same b'fast every day got really old.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
it seems shocking to me you can't find a furnished sublet studio or 1 bedroom for under $1500 a month. AFI is two blocks from the Metro. Perhaps your geographical search limit is too narrow.

(Also, no one can "beat your rates" without knowing what dates you are considering.
Added to OP. Dates: 2/8/15 - 3/6/2015. There is a bus stop which is closer, esp during late winter time. The shared accommodation is about a 10-15 minute bus ride away. Though you are sharing with 4 random strangers.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ymarker
Yeah those are the pre-negotiated rates for other folks who attend conference there for a month. Called homewood suites to negotiate a better rate but didn't get too far. They do offer b'fast and a dinner option (mon-thu), which should save me from eating out all the time. I remember staying at a hotel for a year and eating the same b'fast every day got really old.

Added to OP. Dates: 2/8/15 - 3/6/2015. There is a bus stop which is closer, esp during late winter time. The shared accommodation is about a 10-15 minute bus ride away. Though you are sharing with 4 random strangers.
This explains why you're having trouble finding anything on Craigslist, etc. You're looking way too far ahead for those options. You can always book a hotel now that has a cancellable rate and keep your eyes open for sublets, etc.

It's a 7 minute walk from the Silver Spring metro to AFI. If you're going to be in the area for a month, you should accept that you'll be walking that distance or more in the "cold" frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.