Community
Wiki Posts
Search

airbnb disappointment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
Originally Posted by Spiff
Booking.com should still honor any rate advertised on their website. See Hotel Deals forum for copious examples of booking.com canceling reservations.

Booking.com is very dishonest.
The problem with your premise is this implies Booking has control over the rate. They are an OTA, not a reseller, they have no say whatsoever what the rates are.

I scanned the examples in Hotel Deals and everytime there was a rate change its the property who misloaded a rate and Booking.com's customer service agent trying to find a resolution for both parties.

Its not Booking.com not honouring the rate, but rather the hotel.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:51 pm

I have looked at Airbnb and would rather book using Hotwire,Expedia,Priceline for a good hotel with breakfast. While Airbnb appeals to some I still have doubts about the way the service operates. I would not discount them in the future but I prefer hotels for the most part.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by jarpkor
I'm experienced with Airbnb.

Sadly OP, it's obvious to me what the problem is. You're one of those guests who doesn't take the time to read through the listing and doesn't note the extra charges on the listing such as Cleaning Fee, Weekend Fees, and Fee for Additional Guests. You click through, see the increase in price, then cry foul.

Also to note is that when you make your inquiry, Airbnb doesn't show you all of these charges - it simply adds them up, then divides the total by the length of your stay and spits back an average nightly price that is obviously much higher than what you originally saw.
Actually I am one of that customers that make an analysis many days before I book some hotels..after I monitor the price for many days and check which OTA has the best price.
The additional fees like cleaning fee and other fee would not get the price to be 3x higher. Simply because is NYE the owner do their price as they want...
I got much better deal directly with hotels.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:23 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Big_Dutch
The problem with your premise is this implies Booking has control over the rate. They are an OTA, not a reseller, they have no say whatsoever what the rates are.

I scanned the examples in Hotel Deals and everytime there was a rate change its the property who misloaded a rate and Booking.com's customer service agent trying to find a resolution for both parties.

Its not Booking.com not honouring the rate, but rather the hotel.
Irrelevant.

Booking.com makes a profit steering customers to hotels. If a rate is on its website, Booking.com should make sure that the hotel advertising that rate honors it, or makes suitable (re)accommodation without changing the rate. As a travel agent, Booking.com should not just get to shrug its shoulders and say "too bad, find another hotel." Doing so or even attempting to do so makes booking.com a bait-and-switch, shady, dishonest travel agent.

Last edited by Spiff; Oct 23, 2014 at 11:51 am
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:01 pm

And I wonder what recourse customers have on AirbNb. You saw the recent fiasco with the customer who overstayed, and the owner of the property had issues getting him out. What a great help AirbNb provided then
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:04 am

I also like to rent a appartment by airbnb however the listed price was cancelled by the agent.
He told me we doesn't take any reservation after six months from now.
Several properties with prices showed up after six months from today with several from this agent.
So is the calendar out of date ? or does the host/agent lie ?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by 21x2
I also like to rent a appartment by airbnb however the listed price was cancelled by the agent.
He told me we doesn't take any reservation after six months from now.
Several properties with prices showed up after six months from today with several from this agent.
So is the calendar out of date ? or does the host/agent lie ?
In most cities there are lots of airbnb listings. If one seems a little odd, just ignore it and look at the others.

If you pick one with LOTS of very positive references you most likely will be satisfied with it. It really is worth reading every one of those references, and even clicking on the host for more information about him/her.

Check the map, the street view, a Google street view, all the detail as to what is offered.

Pick one that has been in the business for a while.

And stay off the very lowest priced ones. There may be a reason for those rates.

Romelle
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:53 am

That's for the building owner's own protection. Managed buildings have their own rules and screening process for who they rent their units out to, so of course they'll want to apply those same standards to someone renting from Airbnb.

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Yes. Another one I've encountered is where when you make a booking, the owner will try to get you off the airbnb channel (or VRBO, or flipkey, or whatever) by getting you to sign a rental agreement which then turns it into a transaction between you and the owner or some property management company, and almost always on terms less favourable to the renter than what you get on one of the big mainstream websites like airbnb.

One that I dealt with recently wanted cash payment for a $2500 rental despite the fact that their flipkey ad said credit cards were OK. Not bloody likely.

My spidey senses are getting better at detecting the gamers. Not outright scammers, because you ultimately get a product in exchange for your money, just that they game the system so that it might a little more expensive, it might be a cash deal, it might be a different suite, etc.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jarpkor
I'm experienced with Airbnb.

Sadly OP, it's obvious to me what the problem is. You're one of those guests who doesn't take the time to read through the listing and doesn't note the extra charges on the listing such as Cleaning Fee, Weekend Fees, and Fee for Additional Guests. You click through, see the increase in price, then cry foul.

Also to note is that when you make your inquiry, Airbnb doesn't show you all of these charges - it simply adds them up, then divides the total by the length of your stay and spits back an average nightly price that is obviously much higher than what you originally saw.
I'm rather experienced as well w/ AirBnB, however this happened to me in Brazil as well during World Cup. Definitely a seasonal thing the Brazilians were trying to do here.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:48 pm

I've used AirBnb numerous times worldwide. They are the most professional outfit in the short term rental business. They deal with private apartments, condos, and homes. Their pricing usually is a lot lower than the pricing for hotels and you get a lot more than a single room. You also have full email and telephone access to the owner for any additional information that you need provided before you book. I have never had a problem with them. However, they are right on top of any problem that could arise. ^
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by floridastorm
I've used AirBnb numerous times worldwide. They are the most professional outfit in the short term rental business. They deal with private apartments, condos, and homes. Their pricing usually is a lot lower than the pricing for hotels and you get a lot more than a single room. You also have full email and telephone access to the owner for any additional information that you need provided before you book. I have never had a problem with them. However, they are right on top of any problem that could arise. ^
They do not, however, fully disclose that many of the apartments they list in cities with housing regulations (NYC comes to mind) are illegal rentals. At any point between your reservation and your arrival (or during your stay) said apartment could become unavailable if the city or the landlord evicts the tenant for violations of their lease.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by catwings01
They do not, however, fully disclose that many of the apartments they list in cities with housing regulations (NYC comes to mind) are illegal rentals. At any point between your reservation and your arrival (or during your stay) said apartment could become unavailable if the city or the landlord evicts the tenant for violations of their lease.
Never ran into that problem although I've heard there are restrictions in a couple of places. Don't know how diligently it's enforced. Many laws are on the books, for many things, but are never or are loosely enforced. I do know that Singapore has such a law and it's pretty draconian like all laws in Singapore. However, didn't even have a problem there either.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:04 pm

I always send a message to the host of airbnb before I "book" a room. Always ask first! I don't use airbnb much anymore. I have been disappointed in almost every place I stayed. The homeowners have gotten greedy and their prices are higher or the same as a hotel. I will stay in a hotel first given the price.

What started out as a good idea and inexpensive stays has gotten ridiculous.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by catwings01
This could happen, but there are also a bunch of other reasons the place could become unavailable too. Just an AirBnB risk in general.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by floridastorm
Never ran into that problem although I've heard there are restrictions in a couple of places. Don't know how diligently it's enforced. Many laws are on the books, for many things, but are never or are loosely enforced. I do know that Singapore has such a law and it's pretty draconian like all laws in Singapore. However, didn't even have a problem there either.
One simple rule of thumb for NYC: essentially any Airbnb rental for an entire apartment (rather than just a room) is illegal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.