Wiki Posts
Search

New Airfare Meta Search Site

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium

(note, jabez has read and approved this message - I am not a new Fter and have been here participating for over a decade now)

Hi Fellow FTers,
Last week I soft launched my new airfare search site and I am looking for some feedback. The goal of the site is to let you search for flights and get back the true cost and value for the trip rather than just the ticket cost (taking into account bag fees, value of miles, your time cost, what statuses you have, branded credit cards, etc.). We launched with domestic US airlines this week and I could really use some feedback on the user experience and what you think of the idea. Any criticism would be much appreciated to help refine the site.

The site can be found at www.faremechanic.com.

Note - its a soft launch - I have not put tons of servers behind it yet - just 2 - so performance may lag if a bunch of you all hit it simultaneously (although I would enjoy seeing the load numbers for testing).

Thanks,

Gary
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by gldwebs
(note, jabez has read and approved this message - I am not a new Fter and have been here participating for over a decade now)

Hi Fellow FTers,
Last week I soft launched my new airfare search site and I am looking for some feedback. The goal of the site is to let you search for flights and get back the true cost and value for the trip rather than just the ticket cost (taking into account bag fees, value of miles, your time cost, what statuses you have, branded credit cards, etc.). We launched with domestic US airlines this week and I could really use some feedback on the user experience and what you think of the idea. Any criticism would be much appreciated to help refine the site.

The site can be found at www.faremechanic.com.

Note - its a soft launch - I have not put tons of servers behind it yet - just 2 - so performance may lag if a bunch of you all hit it simultaneously (although I would enjoy seeing the load numbers for testing).

Thanks,

Gary
Apparently you don't include TALT or TPAC trips?

The questions regarding which credit card, ff program, airlines and such seem intrusive. Don't understand the need unless you want to gather this data and sell it.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

We are starting with domestic us to test the logic and interface. Getting into intl flights brings in far more bag rules for marketing carrier.

As for ff prog and cc, it's not for marketing, it's for calculating bag fees and mileage bonuses. Different cards and statuses get free bags or extra miles and we include that in the calculations.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
My Feedback

I fly from Washington/Northern VA area and prefer to search for flights using WAS rather than having to conduct searches for each of IAD, DCA and BWI.

It is not clear to me if the miles earned purchasing the ticket with a co-branded credit card is included in the calculations.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Thabks for the feedback, I can easily add in Was and the other city codes like that. As for the miles, I should probably make the cc miles more obvious.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:47 am
Original Poster

I should have also mentioned that you could type in was and it would have worked - I just need to add it back to the file of airport locations for the pick list.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.