Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Calling hotel with express deal price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I know sometimes it works to call the hotel directly with a lower price found on Priceline, and have them match/beat it.
Does anyone know if it would work for a non-advertised price like that on Express Deals? I know for *certain* which hotel I am looking at although it does not tell me which hotel specifically. Could I call the hotel and have them match/beat it, or just avoid the Priceline fee?

Thanks a lot!

Paul
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:09 am
B1

Originally Posted by param0unt
Could I call the hotel and have them match/beat it
First, you need a telephone. If you don't have one, walk up to the desk.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
As Nike would say - "JUST DO IT."

One of those things where you won't know until you try.

Romelle
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:33 am

I spend a lot of time on Priceline Express Deals, and I haven't had that luck. Even when I want to extend hotels, they almost always want the full rate. The best I had, was a Best Western in Amarillo, offered me the 'Managers Special' price, and it was about $20 off their published room rate, but still more than the Express Deal.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:50 pm

I run the website www.HotelDealsRevealed.com, where we help people reveal their Priceline hotels.

You never know *for sure* what hotel you'll get until you book. I've seen and heard lots of people get Hotel X when they thought for certain they would get Hotel Y. Although small, there's a chance you might get something else.

Anyway, here's my account of something similar. I was driving through the town of Jackpot, Nevada. Pulled up to a hotel with no hotel reservation. Asked the front desk what their walk-in rate was, and they gave me a price. Checked Hotwire (Express Deals didn't exist back then) on my phone. I was able to figure out that the same hotel was available on Hotwire for much cheaper. I asked front desk if they would match the price. They said no.

I spoke to the manager / supervisor who was on duty, and asked him. He said no. I tried to reason. I told him that they would be avoiding the large cut that Hotwire takes and he would be doing his hotel a favor. Nope.

So... get this, I booked the hotel on Hotwire from the lobby and got that same hotel. Then proceeded to check in.

I don't think that is the norm, but funny and peculiar that they wouldn't match the price.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by ranman1973
I run the website www.HotelDealsRevealed.com, where we help people reveal their Priceline hotels.

Anyway, here's my account of something similar. I was driving through the town of Jackpot, Nevada. Pulled up to a hotel with no hotel reservation. Asked the front desk what their walk-in rate was, and they gave me a price. Checked Hotwire (Express Deals didn't exist back then) on my phone. I was able to figure out that the same hotel was available on Hotwire for much cheaper. I asked front desk if they would match the price. They said no.

I spoke to the manager / supervisor who was on duty, and asked him. He said no. I tried to reason. I told him that they would be avoiding the large cut that Hotwire takes and he would be doing his hotel a favor. Nope.
I've had no luck trying to beat a Priceline price either. You would think they would to cut out the middle man and pass some of that savings on, but they don't.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HGP Diamond
Originally Posted by tommy2tone
I've had no luck trying to beat a Priceline price either. You would think they would to cut out the middle man and pass some of that savings on, but they don't.
Yes, but unless they are the sales manager of GM of the hotel, they don't really know or care about the OTA commissions, they are more worried about being caught out doing something outside the manual.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:55 pm

Personally, I spend waaay too much time saving way too little money.

For the OP: A quick phone call would probably take less time than it takes to post the question here on FT. This is more fun though.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:24 am

I tried several times but only success once. I reach their sales department directly and they honor Priceline's price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.