Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Any experience buying or selling with Roomer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience buying or selling with Roomer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:38 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
why are some roomer deals two options: cancelable just before the last 24 hrs? and also offered as non cancel-able?

thanks!

Last edited by frank_10b; Apr 23, 2015 at 2:44 am
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:40 pm

I hope someone has first-hand experience and provides good answers, frank_10b. I must caution you on getting answers from Roomer themselves, as there was established a huge qualitative (I pray it doesn't turn into quantitative!) gap between what they SAY and what they DO. I found my every query on the phone and email answered in straight terms and confidently (apparently, that's their training M.O.) But no money: for already two weeks, my bank account's been out $1,212 on the $500 deal they advertised in color as Roomer Exclusive! pre-sold and pre-confirmed in the best of fashions, confidently promised to quickly deal with the rogue hotel - and nothing still but their PROMISE to be refunded "imminently, one way or another". Very worrisome.

If RoomerTravel knows that client has been for a long time out $712 thru no fault of his own, why not make client whole (out of their error account) - and then deal with the rogue hotel as long as it will take? That would be a hallmark of solid company vs. something that now takes appearance of a Ponzi scheme

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Apr 18, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:02 am

Going from bad to worse: all previous messages and phone calls from Roomer sounded to the point and straight forward (alas, checking my bank daily proved fruitless). But this one today is making less sense:

"I understand your frustration, thus I am happy to inform you that I have informed the hotel to issue a full refund to you, thus it can only be done after the weekend.

I will keep you updated as soon as the hotel confirms the refund.

Regards"

He is happy to inform me (this time) of...what?? Twilight zone
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:18 am

A happy update: Roomer did make the hotel TODAY finally refund my card the unauthorized $712 charge of April 5. I have no issue with Roomer's handling of the incident.

Whatever the hotel was thinking is entirely different issue. This is a major major chain - and to charge secretly while the printout of fully pre-paid stay is attached to guest's registration?? Alas, Roomer didn't shed any light as to how this all happened - so I'll have to talk to the hotel about it...

My concluding advice is to NOT discard RoomerTravel as unreliable. They do try, and I'll be giving them another try as they ended up treating me fairly. However, as others sounded out before me - double vigilance is in order! Before next check-in, I'll try to verify with the hotel that hotel has my name (the very day following Roomer's confirmed booking). And closely monitor hotel's actions with your CC. I was throwing this question to the forum, but we still heard no answers at all: may a U.S. hotel take advantage of your card information on file, i.e. sell your card a stay without notifying card owner?

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Apr 21, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:59 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
OK, thank goodness that is over for singlepapa2 and everybody else...

Now any thoughts on how to get elite benefits or find out more about the booking platforms of a roomer reservation?
thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:43 am

So Westgate finally deposited back to my bank the $712 their rogue property manager secretly charged my card on file at the beginning of my April 5-10 stay. My money was missing from April 5 to April 23, with no explanation yet. (I fully prepaid Roomer $500 for this stay on March 23, confirmation of which was stapled to my check-in card). What shall I write to Westgate's central now? (I'm counting on reparation in the form of certificate)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
So Westgate finally deposited back to my bank the $712 their rogue property manager secretly charged my card on file at the beginning of my April 5-10 stay. My money was missing from April 5 to April 23, with no explanation yet. (I fully prepaid Roomer $500 for this stay on March 23, confirmation of which was stapled to my check-in card). What shall I write to Westgate's central now? (I'm counting on reparation in the form of certificate)
You were out $712 from April 5th to April 23rd. That's (inclusive) 19 days. Even at a generous interest rate of 1% (most checking accounts pay much less than that), you missed out on $0.37 in interest (before taxes).

Ask them to send you a shiny quarter, and you're even.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:44 am

Anyone had a successful sale ? just wondering overall how much percentage wise you lost from the original cost ?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
You were out $712 from April 5th to April 23rd. That's (inclusive) 19 days. Even at a generous interest rate of 1% (most checking accounts pay much less than that), you missed out on $0.37 in interest (before taxes).

Not nice of you pal. You should've been in the situation every one of the 19 days, not knowing where this was heading... Do you think I received one bit of explanation of why I got double-and-a-half charged? Did I do something wrong, besides buying "Roomer Exclusive", making sure the hotel stapled my proof of payment to my folio, providing my cell# and my card "for incidentals" as required?

The only commentary I received was Westgate blame (after checkout) of how Roomer does its biz; and Roomer's concern of getting run-around by Westgate, once confronted in the aftermath. Conclusions?

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Apr 28, 2015 at 12:54 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
Not nice of you pal. You should've been in the situation every one of the 19 days, not knowing where this was heading... Do you think I received one bit of explanation of why I got double-and-a-half charged? Did I do something wrong, besides buying "Roomer Exclusive", making sure the hotel stapled my proof of payment to my folio, providing my cell# and my card "for incidentals" as required?

The only commentary I received was Westgate blame (after checkout) of how Roomer does its biz; and Roomer's concern of getting run-around by Westgate, once confronted in the aftermath. Conclusions?
You asked what you should request from Westgate - I gave you a fair assessment of your actual damages.

Conclusion 1: You wouldn't have been "out" a penny (and wouldn't have lost that $0.37 in pre-tax interest) if you hadn't used a debit card. Stop doing that right now. Never use a debit card for anything. Credit cards only.

Conclusion 2: You got massively worked up about an annoyance that got ironed out eventually, and had it not been, could have been resolved in five minutes with a call to your credit card company for a chargeback, had you followed Conclusion 1.

Conclusion 3: The fact that you're willing to accept a discount voucher from Westgate for your experience completely undermines all your claims of how horribly you feel treated by them. If you really felt that way, you'd never want to go back, so you wouldn't be interested in a certificate, since it would have no value to you.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:16 pm

You asked what you should request from Westgate - I gave you a fair assessment of your actual damages.

Conclusion 1: You wouldn't have been "out" a penny (and wouldn't have lost that $0.37 in pre-tax interest) if you hadn't used a debit card. Stop doing that right now. Never use a debit card for anything. Credit cards only.

Conclusion 2: You got massively worked up about an annoyance that got ironed out eventually, and had it not been, could have been resolved in five minutes with a call to your credit card company for a chargeback, had you followed Conclusion 1.

Conclusion 3: The fact that you're willing to accept a discount voucher from Westgate for your experience completely undermines all your claims of how horribly you feel treated by them. If you really felt that way, you'd never want to go back, so you wouldn't be interested in a certificate, since it would have no value to you.
Your advice on CC vs. DC is good, but the rest of it... I have no problem with Westgate properties, they are nice properties. I have a problem with act by one property manager of covertly charging my card $712, despite stapled evidence of pre-payment, my contact#, and my passing by registration desk at least once daily and repeated desk's wishes to enjoy my day. It appears the manager didn't only fail to contact OTA and myself, but also didn't tell other personnel anything. I found out that my account was depleted by him to the tune of 240% only accidently, after a rushed check-out. And no one knew anything. No matter how much explanation of that I might seek now, what possible excuse of this action could be offered?

Edit: looping back to TOPIC, I'm under impression that manager initially discriminated against me AS A ROOMER CLIENT. Also, Roomer themselves indicated that they were given run around trying to expeditiously get a refund for me - which was initially promised in 48 hours upon me providing my bank statement (which I forwarded instantly)

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Apr 28, 2015 at 2:37 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards

In fairness, it is more of a hassle than just 37 cents in interest. For some people, it could be a real cash flow PITA to have $700 tied up for nearly a month with a lot of uncertainty as to how it was going to be resolved and how long it would all take. I don't see what's unreasonable about his request.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
In fairness, it is more of a hassle than just 37 cents in interest. For some people, it could be a real cash flow PITA to have $700 tied up for nearly a month with a lot of uncertainty as to how it was going to be resolved and how long it would all take. I don't see what's unreasonable about his request.
Bluntly, if you're in the position where floating $700 over a couple of weeks creates a real cash flow problem for you, you probably shouldn't be spending $500 renting time shares in the first place, and you CERTAINLY shouldn't be doing it using a debit card.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:59 pm

Bluntly, if you're in the position where floating $700 over a couple of weeks creates a real cash flow problem for you, you probably shouldn't be spending $500 renting time shares in the first place, and you CERTAINLY shouldn't be doing it using a debit card.
Your motivation to contribute is hard to gauge: are you trying to point out that secretly raiding someone's bank for amount that did not exceed $1000 thus does not amount to "an A Misdemeanor"?

I have three important issues:
1. As much as I Google, Westgate doesn't seem to list WHO to email (in my situation).
2. How can hotels go from card required for "incidentals" (95% of which result in absolutely no charges) to huge unauthorized charges.
3. And on current topic: it strongly appears that Roomer buyer may be subject to discrimination. At least in the hands of unscrupulous timeshare manager, where both unused reservations and name substitutions have always been mainstay of his own profit-centric operation

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Apr 28, 2015 at 9:01 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:58 am

I'd love for someone to point out, where my thought process is flawed. To hotels, discounted Roomer reservation is nothing more than a headache. The hotel got originally paid by non-cancelable customer. Hotel's revenue will not increase any more. But here comes Roomer reservation, which will now fill the pre-sold room!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.