Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

PointsHound will let you earn hotel status + points + miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PointsHound will let you earn hotel status + points + miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:58 am

Problem with Pointshound

I booked a prepaid stay almost two months ago. After a month, or so, the promised points (and a bonus!) appeared in my Pointshound account, and I received an email telling me they would be transferred to my AA account within the next seven days. That was 10 days ago. I'm not convinced Pointshound is a scam, but when your business model is targeting people who are going after frequent traveler points, you've got to deliver exactly what you promise. The generous point bonuses (in theory I'm going to get 1,900 AA miles for five nights at a Comfort Inn) don't mean much if they never go through.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Don't waste your time with Pointshound...

Originally Posted by mianyclax
I booked a prepaid stay almost two months ago. After a month, or so, the promised points (and a bonus!) appeared in my Pointshound account, and I received an email telling me they would be transferred to my AA account within the next seven days. That was 10 days ago. I'm not convinced Pointshound is a scam, but when your business model is targeting people who are going after frequent traveler points, you've got to deliver exactly what you promise. The generous point bonuses (in theory I'm going to get 1,900 AA miles for five nights at a Comfort Inn) don't mean much if they never go through.
For some of us, we might define a "scam" as not delivering on the promises you advertise so in that respect it qualifies for me. I've made 4 bookings with these guys (went crazy when they had a double miles promo) and have never received any of the promised points. Luckily for me it's under 2k total points so I'm not losing much. I did use the "double dip" feature where you can earn stay credit/points with your preferred loyalty program but luckily I was smart enough to always provide my loyalty number at check-in (or before if possible) to ensure that I got my points. The one time I forgot, I had to go through my loyalty program to get credit as you can't rely on Pointshound to "automatically" give you that credit as they say.

I'm sticking to booking myself or through cashback sites as Pointshound is useless to me.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT
Has anyone been successful in getting a price match via PH? Noticed a lower price when doing my usual post-booking comparison shopping, and submitted a request via the form on the website to "their" CS team (in reality, Expedia Affiliate Network agents), and received the following reply:

Hello linglingfool,

Thank you for contacting Customer Support regarding your low price guarantee request under itinerary number 8675309.

We regret to inform you that we are unable to process the price match because the website you have booked your reservation does not offer a low price guarantee.

We appreciate doing business with us.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by manico
For some of us, we might define a "scam" as not delivering on the promises you advertise so in that respect it qualifies for me. I've made 4 bookings with these guys (went crazy when they had a double miles promo) and have never received any of the promised points. Luckily for me it's under 2k total points so I'm not losing much. I did use the "double dip" feature where you can earn stay credit/points with your preferred loyalty program but luckily I was smart enough to always provide my loyalty number at check-in (or before if possible) to ensure that I got my points. The one time I forgot, I had to go through my loyalty program to get credit as you can't rely on Pointshound to "automatically" give you that credit as they say.

I'm sticking to booking myself or through cashback sites as Pointshound is useless to me.
I am willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt that their hearts are in the right place, and they seem to really "get" the community, i.e. "double dip," appearing at community events, having Scottrick shill for them. But that's just not enough, you also have to produce a product that works as advertised virtually every time, and be responsive when it doesn't. They haven't achieved that, which makes the product dead to me, since booking through them means not booking through another more consistent rewards channel.

It's a shame, and hopefully one of their competitors will be able to get it right eventually.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Has anyone been successful in getting a price match via PH? Noticed a lower price when doing my usual post-booking comparison shopping, and submitted a request via the form on the website to "their" CS team (in reality, Expedia Affiliate Network agents), and received the following reply:
Just a follow-up: after more than a week, PH finally replied to my request saying that I should be able to get a price match on my reservation, but that I needed to resubmit their form to get match. As the deal I wanted to match had since expired, I didn't bother and cancelled the reservation. Disappointing first try.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Has anyone successfully used these guys? I did a search for the double dip - and keep coming up empty. Can't find any hotels in SE Asia that use it. Perhaps Double Dip is US based only?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, AA GLD, Hyatt PLT, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Has anyone successfully used these guys? I did a search for the double dip - and keep coming up empty. Can't find any hotels in SE Asia that use it. Perhaps Double Dip is US based only?
I successfully double dipped for an SPG propriety in NYC. Points took 2 months to post but everything went through correctly.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Question "Double up" rates still around ?

Hi
Is PointsHound still offering such rates ?
I can't find any these days ..
Cheers
Eddy
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:24 am

Boy this site is Bad Bad Bad. I recently succumbed to the promise of a first-booking bonus of a couple thousand miles and booked a property with them that I saw much cheaper on another OTA for same room, same terms. They claim to have a low-price guarantee and it says in their terms and conditions that the hotel details page must be so noted in order for it to be eligible. But I checked literally dozens of hotels in the city I was booking and not one had it written on the details page so I assumed that it must be in effect for all and I filed a claim. One day later, a message (sounded like canned message from overseas support center) saying that they could not locate my reservation at all so the guarantee didn't apply. I verified that I had provided correct information and that it showed up confirmed in my account, and replied to the e-mail with screenshots showing the pointshound confirmed reservation and the competitor's price. No response. So I filled out the online form again (since they require it to be done within 48 hours of booking) and submitted it and two more days went by. Then I get another, identical response from their overseas center saying they cannot locate my reservation therefore my claim is denied. So finally I write to PointsHound customer service (since they have NO TELEPHONE SUPPORT!) and eventually they respond that they have located my reservation but the guarantee does not apply. So, obviously I cancelled and am done with these guys. What are you supposed to do if you arrive at a hotel and there is a problem and they have no telephone support? They have an incompetent overseas support center that can't or won't find your reservation. Plus, prices are not consistently equal or even close to competitors, and obviously this a bogus price match policy that doesn't apply to most of their hotels (I actually could not find even one so maybe NONE of their hotels). Sounds like the OP may have some affinity for this relatively new startup but man this is a bad OTA and the hassle and risk is so totally not worth the promised miles, which according to some other posters, don't post promptly or at all anyway. No thanks

Last edited by gil123; Mar 17, 2015 at 11:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.