Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Priceline "Express Deals" Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

For any one considering Priceline's new Hotwire-like offering for hotels called "Express Deals" (where the star level, zone and price are shown but the hotel name is not revealed until you buy), here is my experience today: "Express Deals" offered a 4 star hotel in the DFW North Zone for tomorrow night for $73 (total including taxes and fees: $89.54). I used the Name Your Own Price method and got a 4 star for the same date in the same zone for $50 (total including taxes and fees: $64.40).
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
I used this new service recently in Portland, Ore when booking 2 nights for friends traveling on a road trip. I was able to figure out the identity of the hotel by the description and amenities listed. While it's possible I could have landed the same hotel cheaper through NYOP, booking via Priceline Express offered a bedding choice, which was a very necessary factor in this case (needed two beds). The hotel's rack rate was $95 and I purchased via Priceline Express for $55.

In another case, I won a 4 star hotel for $110 via NYOP when Priceline Express had it for $130 and the hotel's rack rate was $229 for my travel date.

If you're wanting to target a specific hotel, or avoid a certain hotel in the same zone, and you can figure out which property Priceline Express is selling, it can be a good option over NYOP while still saving over booking direct at rack rates.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:10 pm

General concensus from people who have used it is that it's not quite as cheap as Priceline NYOP but still cheaper than non-opaque room reservations. I tend to think of it (and Hotwire) as a premium for knowing the amenities. This is great for people like families who want to have breakfast included in their stay or a swimming pool.

I did a comparison of Express Deals to Hotwire and found a few differences (e.g., Express Deals shows pet-friendly hotels whereas Hotwire does not). A few other subtle differences like that are noted in my blog post on Priceline Express Deals.

One of the things I'm trying to do is build up a collection of Express Deal Winning Bids so I can create hotel lists with amenities so that people can ID their hotel (like Hotwire). If anyone uses PL Express Deals and wants to contribute to the list, you can share your winning bid info on my site. No signup required.)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ranman1973
One of the things I'm trying to do is build up a collection of Express Deal Winning Bids so I can create hotel lists with amenities so that people can ID their hotel (like Hotwire). If anyone uses PL Express Deals and wants to contribute to the list, you can share your winning bid info on my site. No signup required.)
Are you going to have a whole bunch of rules and ban people who don't follow them?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:25 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Now, that was just so wrong... but so funny!

Originally Posted by zachary
Are you going to have a whole bunch of rules and ban people who don't follow them?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
Absolutely not. I have a much different style. If you take the time to post a win, I'm appreciative of your contribution.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Express Experience

So, I took an Express option today (a 3 star for $55). Retail was $119 to $140 depending on which site was listing the hotel. I think had I bid, the lowest would have been $45. The risk was that there were a few other 3 star hotels in the region including a Courtyard and a Holiday Inn that I felt were not as good as this property (Hyatt Place) while guaranteeing free hot breakfast and limited 'rebid' options.

If Express differential to NYOP goes down, it will lead to more instant opaque purchases from my perspective (time has a value too).

I would have still preferred to bid though...

Rasheed
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:43 am

I use express deals as the upper limit for NYOP bidding. Works great. I simply plan my rebids to I'm maxing out about $10 less than they Express Deals amount.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I used the "Express Deal" earlier today. I haven't tried it before and it was offering $103 for a 4* Midtown West. Amenities were Free Internet, Pet Friendly, 8.0+ Guess Rating, Restaurant and Business Center. The similar hotel "price" was $239, but after booking it through Priceline, the actual rate for the Mansfield was only $152.

Come to think of it, I should have bid instead of the Express Deal. I could have got the same hotel for a slightly lower price or I could have gotten a 4* in Chelsea for about the same price (looks like Hotel Indigo - which gets better reviews than the Mansfield).

Oh well, lesson learned and at least it's only for 1 night.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:09 pm

How do you get to Express Deals. I don't see this on their site.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:17 pm

My Recent Experience

I was going to an area where parking could be expensive. The hotel I chose stated as amenities free parking and free internet. I figured that was worth potentially $30 or more, so I didn't bother doing NYOP. Even if it was cheaper, I might not get the amenities.

I got to the hotel, they looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I was promised free parking and free internet. They charged me for both, I have a complaint going with Priceline. It will be interesting to see what Priceline does (if they don't pay me back what I had to pay for parking and internet I will try a chargeback with the credit card company.)

Last edited by BigFlyer; Sep 18, 2012 at 2:12 pm
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by sandra_lemieux
How do you get to Express Deals. I don't see this on their site.
http://travela.priceline.com/promo/e...efid=CO3605350

What are Express Deals!

When you're in a hurry, choose one of our new last minute
Express Dealssm and book it in seconds.

Choose from a huge collection of top hotels at incredible prices
- up to 50% Off for a limited time - with no bidding required. We'll show you the neighborhood, amenities and price of each hotel before you book. You'll find out the exact name of the hotel immediately after purchase.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:36 pm
B1

Why you should check Express Deals before bidding

I was planning a weekend trip for November. I saw the best Hotwire was offering was $97 per night (3*, which is the highest in the zone). I went to Priceline and bid $85 and got an excellent 3* with a normal rate of $169. But then I saw Express Deals was having a 50% off sale. I entered the same information and the result was $86 per night (stated as normally $166). I should have bid $76 and if that didn't work I would then have taken the Express Deal. Remind me: Always check on Priceline Express Deals as well as Hotwire before bidding.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:24 am

Got a question about priceline express deal in St Thomas.

I tried bidding a 2 1/2 * hotel for $90 but got rejected. In the Express Deals tab, I see that a 2 1/2* is available for $97.

I only see two hotels listed as 2 1/2* in St Thomas.
My question is, are those the only two hotel that I can get or is it possible that priceline will give me a hotel that's not mentioned?? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, the dates that I selected, I'm seeing:
1* - $158
2* - $154
2 1/2* - $97
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by mllk12
I only see two hotels listed as 2 1/2* in St Thomas.
Where are you seeing only two 2.5* hotels?

On the retail side of Priceline I see three - Point Pleasant, Bluebeards Castle and Club St. Croix. And it is entirely possible the Express Deal could be a hotel different from those.

You might check out this if you'd like more bidding help.

Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.