Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 10, 12, 7:54 pm   #1

Priceline flight mistake, any chance them fixing?

I have used priceline several times and totally understand how it works. Tonight, in trying to get a flight for a family member for a funeral something got totally screwed up. I was on about my 3rd rebid (using suburbs trick) and the flights were accepted. the problem is the totally wrong airport. Flight was supposed to leave out of Gunnison, Co and its out of Denver. This is a huge difference (and of course big difference in price) and something that doesn't work. The flight I got with nyop is almost double the cost of a regular ticket for purchase (from Denver, not Gunnison)...of course it was accepted! They don't seem very willing to help even though they can look at my previous bid history and see I was bidding the same airport every time, even though they offered me tickets from what was accepted for about $250 less (on the rejection screen) than the bid I put in. Why would I turn down tickets for $300 to put in a nyop bid for $550 from the same airport? I'm not convinced I checked Denver instead of Gunnison anyway (can't see how that's even possible) but this is a clear mistake that I would think is easily rectified...except priceline just says "thats what you selected".

Is there any way to get someone who speaks good English and has a willingness to fix an obvious mistake? As I said, I understand their rules but this is a case of a clear screw up (they say me and maybe its possible its me but I don't think so).

I'm sure they CAN fix it if I find the right person but anyone know how to do that?
ttlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 12, 8:17 pm   #2
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You believed they made a mistake, they believe you checked the box for Denver when making the bid instead of the one for Gunnison.

I think there's little chance of them refunding the money, they believe they delivered what you asked for.
Old Apr 11, 12, 11:14 am   #3

PL does have a price guarantee with NYOP. You may have waited too long but that's your best bet.

PL doesn't let you immediately rebid without changing something. PL does not promote "free rebids" That's a kind of loophole. I don't think you can expect PL to make an exception just because you screwed up using rebids.
lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 12, 11:42 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's an automated system, not one where a real person looked at the history and determined that you must have meant something other than the actual keys you entered or boxes you checked.

While you didn't do anything wrong by "rebidding" the system isn't intended for that gimmick and you certainly won't find PL showing sympathy to its use.

You can always ask because it's free to do so, but my bet is that you are now the proud owner of the ticket you purchased.
Often1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 12, 4:16 pm   #5

Thanks for your replies.

First off, dealing with them is a nightmare. Its almost impossible to talk to a human and when you do, English isn't the first language.

I was only able to get them to refund with a $150 penalty. It doesn't make any sense to me why they refuse to use any common sense...they can see in my account the offers I made and I sincerely question the accuracy of their system on the selection of Denver.

Their guarantee is ridiculous...it has to be the same airline, flight, etc...a real guarantee would apply to the same crap you have to agree to with up to 1 stop, the time windows, etc. Like I mentioned I could have purchased a regular ticket and picked the times for about half of the bid. Ridiculous.
Old Apr 11, 12, 5:02 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlax View Post
It doesn't make any sense to me why they refuse to use any common sense...they can see in my account the offers I made and I sincerely question the accuracy of their system on the selection of Denver.

Their guarantee is ridiculous...it has to be the same airline, flight, etc...a real guarantee would apply to the same crap you have to agree to with up to 1 stop, the time windows, etc. Like I mentioned I could have purchased a regular ticket and picked the times for about half of the bid. Ridiculous.
Common-sense would negate the entire free rebid process. You were using the "suburbs trick". Common sense suggests PL not allow "tricks".

It certainly isn't reasonable to expect any consideration when you don't do the "tricks" properly and get caught.

You failed to properly handle a rebid and you bid too much. That's not PLs fault.
lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 10:28 pm   #7
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Are you saying that there is some glitch in their system that automatically increased your bid and changed the airport?

I'm really not buying that. If you think it is the case, try to reproduce it. But it's very highly doubtful.
cbn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 4:49 am   #8

Quote:
I was on about my 3rd rebid (using suburbs trick) and the flights were accepted.
Would someone mind explaining this? I searched and this was the only reference I found to "suburbs trick".
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 5:45 am   #9
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, SPG
Wirelessly posted (lo2e's Blackberry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The "suburbs trick" is a trick that is used after you've bid once and been rejected. You go back to PL's home screen and instead of typing in the actual city location of the airport, you type in a nearby town/suburb. You are still able to select your desired airport(s) on the next screen and it isn't kicked back as a duplicate bid.
lo2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 12, 10:21 am   #10

Programs: UA Silver
Quote:
I was only able to get them to refund with a $150 penalty. It doesn't make any sense to me why they refuse to use any common sense... Ridiculous.
I would agree with ridiculous. Maybe you should just purchase directly from the airlines in the future?
6rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 12, 4:38 pm   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
Are you saying that there is some glitch in their system that automatically increased your bid and changed the airport?

I'm really not buying that. If you think it is the case, try to reproduce it. But it's very highly doubtful.
I didn't say that about the price but I definitely question the airport part. I've never had a problem with them before but I will definitely be way more careful in the future and taking screen shots.
Old Apr 16, 12, 4:44 pm   #12

[quote=lewisc;18373773]PL does have a price guarantee with NYOP. You may have waited too long but that's your best bet.

Its near impossible to talk to them. It was impossible after I called once I could never get a human again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisc View Post
Common-sense would negate the entire free rebid process. You were using the "suburbs trick". Common sense suggests PL not allow "tricks".
If they didn't like the free rebid process if they didn't allow "tricks" why in the world wouldn't they close that "loophole"?

they are very aware of it and it would be easy as pie to fix and close it. They like it and I'm sure they get tons more business because of it.
Old Apr 16, 12, 7:01 pm   #13
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Quote:

If they didn't like the free rebid process if they didn't allow "tricks" why in the world wouldn't they close that "loophole"?

they are very aware of it and it would be easy as pie to fix and close it. They like it and I'm sure they get tons more business because of it.
See the first post in this thread.

Because people who think they know better will "work" the rebid process and end up paying hundreds of dollars more for the fare than they should have. They made a quick $150 without even having to provide tickets.
Old Apr 17, 12, 12:14 am   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
Wirelessly posted (lo2e's Blackberry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The "suburbs trick" is a trick that is used after you've bid once and been rejected. You go back to PL's home screen and instead of typing in the actual city location of the airport, you type in a nearby town/suburb. You are still able to select your desired airport(s) on the next screen and it isn't kicked back as a duplicate bid.
Ah, interesting. Thanks.
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 12, 9:21 am   #15

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
What was the difference in fares between your eventual Gunnison departure and the Priceline reservation?

Gunnison is a 4 1/2 hr drive from DEN. For the 150 cancellation, plus the fare difference you discussed, honestly, while less than ideal, it sounds like the Denver Priceline departure may have made some better financial sense. Unless of course you already had a long drive to get to the airport in Gunnison.