Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I have any case?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Do I have any case?

I booked a return flight to Bangkok with lastminute.com on the basis (I believed) that changes were allowed any time for a fee of euro 150.00. The exact fare rules are below:

Fare rules

16 PENALTIES - ANY TIME

TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.

NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.

WHERE THIS FARE IS COMBINED WITH ANOTHER FARE ON A

HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS THE MOST RESTRICTIVE

PENALTY CONDITIONS APPLY TO THE ENTIRE JOUNEY.

CHANGES ANY TIME

CHARGE EUR 150.00.

NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.

NONREROUTEABLE

SAME AS CANCELLATION SO NO REFUND TICKET NO LONGER

VALID

19 CHILDREN DISCOUNTS - CNN/ACCOMPANIED CHILD PSGR 2-11 - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF

THE FARE.

TICKETING CODE - BASE FARE CODE PLUS CH.

MUST BE ACCOMPANIED

When I have attempted to change the date of the flight I am being told that there are no longer any more flights available in that fare class and unfortunately they cannot help me. I was willing to pay the difference in fare price for fares available at this minute but I've been told the "system" will not allow the change.

Can they really just take my money and offer me no alternative date to fly even if the fare rules state a change is allowed?

Thanks
Old May 3, 2012, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You haven't provided any details, such as where the flight is from, what carrier, the fare basis and so on.

But, as a general proposition, you may be able to pay a fee to have the air carrier take over the reservation and make the change. In that case you would pay EUR150 change fee + takeover fee + fare difference to closest available fare.

Remember, you are limited by both the the t&c of the third party site and the air carrier. It may also be cheaper to buy a new ticket than to pay the fees. But, that is all notional without more specific facts.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

The flight is from Dublin to Bangkok on a British Airways flight. BA seem unable to help me because the booking was made through an online agent although I have tried as it seems to be BA that will not make the change.

The online agent did try to process a change in date for me but they have told me the system is not allowing them due to this being a certain type of discounted flight rather than the type of flights currently available.

The change would have been a considerable price but less expensive than buying a new ticket with a different airline.
Old May 5, 2012, 8:11 pm

There is sometimes a difference between what is allowed according to the strict interpretation of the rules and what a company will do for you. I don't think it ever hurts to call them up, escalate, and see what, if anything they can do for you. Supervisors and managers have a lot of leeway to use at their discretion. I wouldn't call up and be a jerk, but call up, be nice, and see if you can sweet talk them.

BKK is so much fun. I was there about 10 years ago and can't wait to go back.

Good luck.
Old May 6, 2012, 2:21 am

The ticket is described as non-refundable. It is NOT described as non-upgradeable. They should be able to rebook you in a different fare class.

This is what I would (try to) do...:

Make a note of the booking class and fare basis. The booking class will be a single letter (like M or H or Q), the fare basis is likely to be some combination of letters and numbers such as YSX3M.

Armed with that information contact BA and ask them what their conditions are for that fare basis. If they tell you it's non-upgradeable then this would be a case of Lastminute.com having mis-sold the ticket. I don't know what the law is in Ireland, but certainly here in the UK you would have a case against them, i.e., you should be able to make them fix their mistake at their expense.

Also, do you know if Lastminute have tried to talk to BA or if they merely tried to change your booking in the system and found they couldn't? You should make them TALK to BA. Airlines do still have telephone lines, and I'm sure that the larger ones probably have dedicated telephone lines for agents.

So - Lastminute shouldn't just fob you off. Their conditions don't say that your ticket can't be upgraded to a higher fare class. You are willing to be upgraded to a higher fare class, and if their system won't let you do this then they should talk to the airline and find out why, and find a way of honoring the conditions under which you booked the flight.
Old May 6, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
WHERE THIS FARE IS COMBINED WITH ANOTHER FARE ON A

HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS THE MOST RESTRICTIVE

PENALTY CONDITIONS APPLY TO THE ENTIRE JOUNEY.
I suspect here in lies the problem - one of the sectors is most likely in a very restrictive bucket. What on Expedia made you think it was a flexible fare? Did you select an option or just assume by the fare rules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.