Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 27, 12, 12:55 am   #1

Programs: AA Explat, UA Silver, DL bupkus
Priceline for room for three?

Has anyone ever used Priceline for a room for three? I understand that a Priceline room is guaranteed to house two comfortably, but is it explicitly prohibited anywhere to have a third guest?

I assume it would not be too difficult to get away with in larger hotels , but am interested to hear if anyone has experience with this. Primary interest at the moment is Spain.
fanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 12, 6:20 am   #2
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanger View Post
Has anyone ever used Priceline for a room for three? I understand that a Priceline room is guaranteed to house two comfortably, but is it explicitly prohibited anywhere to have a third guest?

I assume it would not be too difficult to get away with in larger hotels , but am interested to hear if anyone has experience with this. Primary interest at the moment is Spain.
I've heard of some people getting three into a room, but there are certain locations (NYC for example) where three or more in a room is absolutely forbidden (due to fire codes in some cases, IIRC). I'm not sure how I would go about finding out whether a particular location in Spain would or would not allow three or more into a room.
lo2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 12, 7:03 am   #3

Programs: DL newly minted Platinum, but probably for the last time ever as I'll never make the required spend.
If you haven't already, you might consider Hotwire. You can specify the number of guests there.

You still might end up with something like a double bed and a fold-out couch, but it would beat just the double bed you could get with Priceline.

Romelle
Romelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 12, 9:03 am   #4

People do it in places like Orlando all the time. Tpical hotel rooms in Orlando have 2 double (or queen) beds. Rarely an issue.

Not a good idea in Europe. A typical hotel might have economy sized rooms. Rooms which only have one bed and which don't even have room for a cot or even an air mattress. Pl customers with 3 guests might have to pay $$$ to upgrade their room or could be completely out of luck.
lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 12, 10:29 am   #5
B1

When you make your bid on Priceline you must agree (by making a specific indication) to their legal terms in line with the offer you make. They specify that you are bidding for a room at a rate for up to two people. Bringing in a third violates the terms of the bid. If you do receive a room that could accommodate three, you are free to ask the hotel if they would allow the third person. They could say no or charge a fee or allow it. You could also see if you can get away with it without telling anyone and accept the risk. My recommendation would be to bid for two rooms at a good price.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 12, 10:50 am   #6
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Even in places that are not in busy city centers, some hotels booked via Priceline bidding are not able to give rooms with bedding for three people for any of a variety of reasons. Times like this may require comparing the price for two rooms using Priceline, one room using Hotwire or otherwise booking through obviously transparent channels, or just gambling on perhaps someone sleeping on the floor or in a chair.

Of the US hotels I have won via bidding on Priceline, most have been able to give me two double beds when I wanted them so not to have to share a bed.
Old Mar 27, 12, 2:57 pm   #7

So, I've use priceline and hotwire extensively in Europe, but always for 1 or 2. Trying to economize here; and was thinking that all the 4 And 5 star places I 'Ve booked would manage 3 ok if we're prepared to be cozy. But wanted know if it was explicitly prohibited or not. The terms I've looked at explicitly do not guarantee room for more than three, but it's.not clear to me that it's against the terms. I do know about the Hotwire option.
Old Mar 27, 12, 4:53 pm   #8

Programs: Points in Many. Elite in None.
Don't know if its against the terms, but yea there are certain hotels with room sizes that just do not fit 3+ people in it comfortably. Of note are places like New York where a lot of hotel rooms only one queen or even one double bed as their option.

Hotwire would be a safer bet.
teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 12, 8:01 pm   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanger View Post
So, I've use priceline and hotwire extensively in Europe, but always for 1 or 2. Trying to economize here; and was thinking that all the 4 And 5 star places I 'Ve booked would manage 3 ok if we're prepared to be cozy. But wanted know if it was explicitly prohibited or not. The terms I've looked at explicitly do not guarantee room for more than three, but it's.not clear to me that it's against the terms. I do know about the Hotwire option.
It's up to the hotel.

Quote:
All rooms are guaranteed for double occupancy only. Be sure to check with the hotel if you plan on having more than 2 people stay in your room -the hotel may not allow extra guests due to fire safety laws.

If your hotel does allow extra guests, there may be additional charges. These charges vary and will be payable directly to the hotel - most likely at checkout
It's not against the terms to ask the hotel if 3 guests are permitted. The hotel is explicitly allowed to tell you NO, or charge you extra, and you have no recourse.
Old Mar 29, 12, 10:00 pm   #10

Programs: Priceline Master Negotiator; Hotwire Express; Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Unless you are in SF or NYC -- ask nicely for a rollaway bed.
mbstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 12, 11:17 pm   #11
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
When you make your bid on Priceline you must agree (by making a specific indication) to their legal terms in line with the offer you make. They specify that you are bidding for a room at a rate for up to two people. Bringing in a third violates the terms of the bid.
This is absolute hogwash! See the terms posted above by another poster. The room is "guaranteed" for two but nothing says you are bidding at a "rate for up to two people."
Old Mar 30, 12, 9:59 am   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, HH, Hyatt, MR elite. Flying AS/DL/AA. Fmr UA Plat now Silver, heading for zero. BA & WN Peon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fti View Post
...nothing says you are bidding at a "rate for up to two people."
This is correct. A big x-factor with PL is you cannot specify room configuration - it can be one king, two doubles or queens, etc. All that is guaranteed is that the room will sleep two people. There is no TOS prohibition against having a third person in the room, but you might get lucky and score a room with two queens, and you might not. If the latter you have no leverage to do anything about it.

This is why PL is such a rough fit for family travel.

This also leaves aside the whole question of Spanish (and European) hotel rooms often being not configured to accommodate more than two people anyway. You get single beds a lot there which hardly ever show up in North American hotels.
United Airlines: dead last among major carriers in the 2013 Airline Quality Ratings. We're #12! We're abysmal! We're abyss-friendly!
BearX220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 12, 5:24 pm   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbstone View Post
Unless you are in SF or NYC -- ask nicely for a rollaway bed.
The OP is asking about Spain. Your comment about SF and NYC apply and then some to hotels in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fti View Post
This is absolute hogwash! See the terms posted above by another poster. The room is "guaranteed" for two but nothing says you are bidding at a "rate for up to two people."
Almost the same thing. The room is guaranteed for two. The hotel is allowed to accommodate extra guests at no charge, accommodate extra guests with an extra charge (even if the room has bedding for more then two guests or can limit you to 2 guests.

See the terms I cut and pasted from PLs site. PL is clear the hotel can charge extra for more then 2 guests.
Old Apr 9, 12, 10:47 pm   #14

Hey Fanger,

I have a lot of experience with this. I'm a father of 3 young girls and we travel a lot. This topic also comes up on the Hotwire / Priceline forum that I administer (www.hoteldealsrevealed.com/forum).

The rules of Priceline are that the room is guaranteed to accommodate a maximum of 2 guests. In most cases (but not all), the hotel will accommodate your request. It depends on when you arrive at the hotel, their vacancy rate, etc. and it's a risk you run. I personally have had a hotel not able to accommodate me (my kids slept on the floor but they were only 4 years old so no biggy) and have heard of others with similar experiences. But more often than not, you'll be fine.

As previously stated by others, there are fire regulations that control the maximum occupancy of a particular room. However, this risk if this is even smaller and very rare.

I'd strongly recommend you consider Hotwire if you're concerned about the risk. For me, I require the Priceline price to be A LOT cheaper before I'll take a risk. It's not worth $10 or so in savings. $25 or more per night... okay, I might take the risk.
ranman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 12, 4:08 pm   #15

In the end I decided not to risk it at all. In Italy I booked two priceline rooms (by far the most expensive per night for the three of us). In Spain I booked rooms conventionally and specifying three guests- some very low rates a mile or two away from center, but close to transportation. Minor inconvenience was worth the price differential.

All the rooms in the three cities were configured with two twin beds; my partner and I can sleep together on a twin, so it would have been ok I think. We could have saved about 1/3 of the total lodging cost by not declaring or accounting for the third person, more than $500 for the whole trip. In the past, though, I've had hotwire and priceline rooms where only single king beds were offered, that would have been more awkward.

On balance though I am a bit of a square about such things; I mainly considered it to help out our third person, for whom the trip was stretch.

Thanks for everyone's perspective.