Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Concur Travel and Expense (CTE) Corporate Travel Site

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concur Travel and Expense (CTE) Corporate Travel Site

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL, AA, HH
Originally Posted by epicurus
For example, if I booked a United flight via Concur, and cancelled it on United.com. Will it automatically be reflected on Concur?
no. it wouldnt show up on any other commercial site either because you went outside of the booking tool.

its a one way cycle/revolving door. info goes from Concur to the GDS booking system your agency uses. and that GDS updates directly back and forth with the GDS.

concur ->GDS/Agency <->carrier

In order for Concur to update someone has to queue the information back to a concur queue for it to update. that doesnt happen automatically. even if an agent canceles it, it will not updated directly in the concur tool unless that agent queues it back to the tool.

but if you do cancel it in concur directly it will cancel in the gds with the carrier. and all three will be in sync.

thats not a concur limitation, thats how all tools work. an online booking tool is just an interface for a GDS, nothing less.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL, AA, HH
Originally Posted by megalab
I have not seen my Concur itineraries updated to accurately reflect changes I made outside of Concur. Sometimes AMEX will send me a cryptic e-mail about a change to my reservation when I get a upgrade, but that's about it.
same as my previous message.. to update in concur, someone (your agency that set the tool up for you) has to queue it back to concur to reflect the update. thats why its best to work directly in the tool or with the agency..
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
just wasted couple of hours on concur trying to get the ticket that costs $460 on ua.com and kayak, but only comes out to $800+ on concur.
And the agents cant get the same price either.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Different search parameters, different results

Originally Posted by dsauch
just wasted couple of hours on concur trying to get the ticket that costs $460 on ua.com and kayak, but only comes out to $800+ on concur.
And the agents cant get the same price either.
Odd that the agents can't find what is on UA.com. Are your agents allowed to call the airlines directly or can they only use their own system?

What I've noticed is changing the search parameters can produce different itineraries. Increasing or decreasing the time window, specifying the connection city or not, one way vs. round trip searches can all yield different results. I assume trying all those permutations is how you wasted all those hours (I've wasted a lot of time that way) but I mention it for the record.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:40 am

Odd that the agents can't find what is on UA.com. Are your agents allowed to call the airlines directly or can they only use their own system?

What I've noticed is changing the search parameters can produce different itineraries. Increasing or decreasing the time window, specifying the connection city or not, one way vs. round trip searches can all yield different results. I assume trying all those permutations is how you wasted all those hours (I've wasted a lot of time that way) but I mention it for the record.
they didnt offer to call UA directly, so I am going to assume they cant - they are usually very helpful and patient.
you are right - specifying exact time when I know the flight exists +-1h, produces drastically different pricing than doing +-12h or even +-8 - all around the same time frame, ie for the one flight I am looking for.

Its retarded that I can get T/L fares outside and only S,W,V on concur - and our company has a contract with UA as preferred carrier!!
Old May 1, 2013, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by dsauch
Its retarded that I can get T/L fares outside and only S,W,V on concur - and our company has a contract with UA as preferred carrier!!
Maybe there are contract issues? I know last year we had terrible Concur pricing on UA, our preferred carrier. (AA was often cheaper).

I heard our travel dept complained, and this year all 8 of my domestic UA segments were in K or G, and I just booked an international one way flight in W on Concur for half the price I saw on UA.com.

Are you allowed waivers to book outside Concur? While our corporate travel office doesn't like it (they're all about contracts) my boss and our division controller will take the heat if I can show a big enough savings by booking with UA. I did it a couple of times last year.
Old May 1, 2013, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many corporate deals include many other considerations. This isn't about whether one traveler can purchase one ticket for less through one channel.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Your problems are not with Concur, but with your employer. Concur can show and book almost anything. But, it is expressly designed as a corporate website and can block or allow all kinds of transactions.
For instance, some employers allow you to book anything, but a screen requiring a written justification pops up when you are booking other than the cheapest fare or perhaps within $200 of the cheapest fare or in a non-permitted cabin or fare bucket.

Concur can also handle different authorizations for different employees. A senior executive might be able to book in F, while you are in a low bucket steerage.

Concur saves large companies a ton of money because, as others note, it works seamlessly with most major A/P systems. If the software is set up to only allow "cheapest fare" and transmits directly to A/P, there's no need for an A/P person to audit the transaction to determine that it was the cheapest fare.

You also do not likely know the specifics of corporate deals which your employer may have cut. There might be cost savings on a given ticket, but overall the savings may be significant. Corporate deals may also include treating discounted fares as Y for -UP purposes, may offer discounts on F travel, GS for certain employees and the like.

The culprit in OP's situation is likely his employer and it's a decision for OP to make as to whether the issues are sufficient enough to warrant follow up with the people responsible.
Agreed! I really like it. It really is dependent on your own company's policies. For me I NEVER have to book a red flagged domestic connection. At my pay / seniority level all direct flights are bookable over connections (domestically). I can book any direct flight I choose within $200 of the lowest fare within 3 hrs. Internationally, I am allowed J-class on any itinerary over 10 hrs including connections.

My point is....it's not the software..... It's your employer.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:14 pm

I guess my other point is, do you really want to be "that guy"? My company has over 19,000 employees, of which nearly 2,300 travel regularly via air. Life is too short for me to fight our corporate travel system as I'm only 1 of 2,300 that fly every week.

Additionally, keep in mind many of the fares and prices YOU see, include anywhere from 2% to 18% rebates to the company. So you may think you saving $250 on a $1,800 flight is a big deal, your employer might be getting nearly that back in rebates and bonus monies.
Old May 1, 2013, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by EvilBlake
I guess my other point is, do you really want to be "that guy"? My company has over 19,000 employees, of which nearly 2,300 travel regularly via air. Life is too short for me to fight our corporate travel system as I'm only 1 of 2,300 that fly every week.

Additionally, keep in mind many of the fares and prices YOU see, include anywhere from 2% to 18% rebates to the company. So you may think you saving $250 on a $1,800 flight is a big deal, your employer might be getting nearly that back in rebates and bonus monies.
+1 - You may think you saved a couple of hundred bucks for your employer or its client, but in the end, you don't know what your employer's deal is and you don't know the utility costs involved with manually processing charges which Concur handles seamlessly.

Concur can show you anything which is for sale. It's a question of how your employer has chosen to configure the software. If you're not seeing a routing you want, there's a reason and it's got zippo to do with Concur.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:40 pm

Are you allowed waivers to book outside Concur? While our corporate travel office doesn't like it (they're all about contracts) my boss and our division controller will take the heat if I can show a big enough savings by booking with UA. I did it a couple of times last year.
i sent the helpdesk info and they can deal with they wish. Thats as much as I care to care ;-)
Old May 3, 2013, 9:22 am

Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade a ticket through concur (i.e. from economy to economy plus?) I have flight credit that I'd like to use to pay for the seat, rather than paying through United's web site.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thelark
Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade a ticket through concur (i.e. from economy to economy plus?) I have flight credit that I'd like to use to pay for the seat, rather than paying through United's web site.
I don't know of anyway to pay for any airfare service via concur that doesn't use our corporate credit card. Any kind of upgrades have to be paid out of pocket and reimbursed.

If you have a flight credit that can be used for E+, would your travel agency be able to apply it for you? I've never tried for E+, but most of the times I've tried to apply a flight credit to airfare our travel agent has had to manually intervene.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:24 am

found this thread and wanted to learn more about it... how would everyone here suggest me (a newbie) on how to better learn/experience this?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: AA PLT
Best advice is just to play around with it for a bit. It also helps if you use other software (such as ITA) to find the connections you want, then be as specific as possible when entering the information into Concur's search. There could be desirable options that are thrown out if you enter a +/- range that is too wide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.