Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 19, 12, 10:05 pm   #1

Angry Oh, No! compete4yourseat.com & selecttravelclub.com

I used compete4yourseat.com to purchase the international air-ticket in August 2011. The travel begins in May 2012. After I made a full payment to compete4yourseat.com, I received the itinerary from selecttravelclub.com.
Since I made a payment much earlier than May 2012, I worried that I couldn't get a ticket later. So I asked for the ticket in advance, but they refused. They said their policy is issue the ticket two weeks before departure.
So I had no choice but to wait.

Today, I called air-line office to check the status of booking. Suprizingly, the reservation was canceled since they didn't receive the money by Jan. 7, 2012.
I asked compete4yourseat.com & selecttravelclub.com to resolve the problem. I will post again when I receive the feedback from them.
chrtchrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 12, 10:13 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, over entitled UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrtchrt View Post
They said their policy is issue the ticket two weeks before departure.
Is this a consolidator? That would not be unusual if that is what they are.

Quote:
Suprizingly, the reservation was canceled since they didn't receive the money by Jan. 7, 2012.
Did you pay for the tickets in August or not? If you didn't pay, did they give you a deadline for payment and did you fail to meet it?
Old Jan 19, 12, 10:28 pm   #3

[QUOTE=tom911;17849423]Is this a consolidator? That would not be unusual if that is w

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Is this a consolidator? That would not be unusual if that is what they are.

Did you pay for the tickets in August or not? If you didn't pay, did they give you a deadline for payment and did you fail to meet it?

I paid in August 2011 by credit card just after I received the bidding from compete4yourseat.com. After payment, I received the receipt/purchase confirmation email. After that, I received itinerary from selecttravelclub.com.
I think both sites are owned by one person.
Old Jan 19, 12, 10:41 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you confirmed they did in fact charge your credit card? Is it on your statement?

Hopefully you'll get this resolved. If not, you do have some consumer protection under the Fair Credit Billing Act, though you're outside the 60 day window for billing errors if you paid back in August. You might want to read the highlights of that Act if you can't resolve this:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre16.shtm
Old Jan 19, 12, 10:50 pm   #5

Credit card statment showed they charged $3,196.00. And I made a payment to credit card.
Old Jan 19, 12, 11:02 pm   #6

Quote:
Have you confirmed they did in fact charge your credit card? Is it on your statement?

Hopefully you'll get this resolved. If not, you do have some consumer protection under the Fair Credit Billing Act, though you're outside the 60 day window for billing errors if you paid back in August. You might want to read the highlights of that Act if you can't resolve this:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre16.shtm
Thanks! tom911.
Since I am a Korean living in Malaysia, I will bring the issue to local bank, if the feedbck from the sites are unsatisfied.
Old Jan 19, 12, 11:05 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may have very different rights in credit card disputes outside the U.S. Sounds like you're on top of things for now. Hopefully the company you purchased from will send you written correspondence as that would be valuable in any type of dispute with your credit card provider/bank.
Old Jan 20, 12, 11:37 am   #8

Feedback from selecttravelclub.com

They gave a new confirmation number, and asked to contact airline for confirmation. I found that the reservation is done, but payment is not completed yet. Payment due date is changed to March 5, as they made a new reservation.
Old Jan 20, 12, 1:05 pm   #9

Programs: Air Canada Prestige 25k
this is why if i'm traveling on VFR trips i get my secratery to make the bookings and instruct her to use the airine's website directly.
(my 220k miles of biz travel is booked by my emloyer)
rafi2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 12, 1:39 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Payment due date is changed to March 5, as they made a new reservation.
So what are they doing with the $3,000 you paid in August?
Old Jan 24, 12, 5:50 pm   #11

Quote:
So what are they doing with the $3,000 you paid in August?
Seems to me it's a typical way of payment, if ticket is not issued immediately.
Agents want to hold the payment until the last minutes not to pay any penalty in case of cancelation or change.
Old Dec 13, 12, 7:31 pm   #12

Thumbs down Final Results

Quote:
Seems to me it's a typical way of payment, if ticket is not issued immediately.
Agents want to hold the payment until the last minutes not to pay any penalty in case of cancelation or change.
Since I started the threads, I am obliged to tell the final results.

I had checked the air-line web site from time to time to check the status of reservation. When the due date is coming, I remined it to Compete4your seat to make a new reservation. After postponed the payment a couple of times, they sent me e-tickets. It was 2.5 weeks earlier than the departure date. I thought they lost the money from gambling by postpone the payment, since the price of ticket printed is above $5000.

Two days later, they sent me new tickets. They found that they paid too much. Price of new tickets are close to what I paid.

But the real problems started from now on.

Firstly, they changed the departure & return date without prior information. They just purchased the ticket based on the price. I called air-line whether I can changed the date. They asked for $1200. My new ticket is the cheapest economy class. To change the date, need to buy more expensive economy class.

Secondly, the new ticket is useless. Air-line said I cannot reserve the seat with the ticket since there's no seat.

I sent email to compete4yourseat. They replied that I can go to air-port since they confirmed the ticket. Air-line said I cannot reserve the seat, but compet4yourseat said I can take the flight. How can I believe compet4your seat?

After send/receive email a few times,Compete4yourseat proposed a full refund because I don't believe them. I got full refund and purchased ait-ticket directly from air-line office.

Of course the the price of ticket was much higher than $3000, since it's close to the departure date.

It was a terrible experience with Compete4yourseat.: