Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Devaluation in Expedia Rewards Points

Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G

Dear *** *****,

Thank you for being a valued Expedia Rewards member. With the Expedia Rewards program, you earn points on all the hotel stays, flights, packages, and activities you book on Expedia.com and can redeem points for travel with no blackout dates instead of being locked into a single brand or airline.

Since the program launched earlier this year, we've been working to fine-tune Expedia Rewards, and we want to let you know about some important program changes that are going into effect today.

What has changed?
  • All vacation package bookings will now earn double points (2 points per $1), so you can maximize your point earnings when you book your flight and hotel with Expedia.
  • Flight bookings will now earn 1 Expedia® Point per $2 spent.
  • Earn double points (2 points per $1) on all hotel bookings starting with your 2nd hotel booking between now and June 30, 2012. You must register here to receive the bonus points.
  • As an Elite Plus® member, you'll earn 25% bonus Expedia Points on any hotels or vacation packages that include a hotel.
  • Our reward chart will also be changing effective November 22, 2011. To redeem your accumulated Expedia Points at the current conversion rates, please be sure to do so before this date.
  • For a limited time, redeem your points for a donation to St. Jude Children's Hospital to support childhood cancer research.
What has stayed the same?
  • You'll continue to earn points on 70,000+ hotels, 140+ airlines, and 3,500 activities booked on Expedia.com.
  • As always, earn miles with your frequent flyer programs and earn Expedia Points on the same booking.
  • Redeem points for eligible hotels and flights with no blackout dates.
  • Plus, you'll continue to receive exclusive bonus offers.
  • You'll continue to enjoy all other benefits exclusive to Elite Plus members, such as free room upgrades at VIP Access hotels, priority customer care, hotel price guarantee, and more!
What's the best way to maximize the number of points you can earn?
  • Add a hotel to your flight booking to earn double Expedia Points. For example, you will earn 250 points on a $500 roundtrip flight (1 point per $2); but if you add a 2-night hotel stay for $250 in the same booking, you will earn 1,500 points on this Flight + Hotel package (2 points per $1). Plus, as an Elite Plus member, you earn an additional 375 points (25% bonus points).
  • Take advantage of our bonus offers available only to members; check your Rewards Summary page often for special offers exclusive for you. For example, when you pay with your MasterCard® card for an eligible hotel or package booking, you can earn double Expedia Points to accelerate your earnings
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:39 pm

they took it from almost worthless to worthless with this change.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Such total *BS* by Expedia. They dont even tell you what the new ratio of points to hotel rewards is - even the lamest of airlines do this. SOunds like maybe the program worked a little too well? Lame. Lame. Lame.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Well, that didn't take long.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:26 pm

The best thing is travel already booked under the old rules will earn according to the new chart. That seems like a bad joke!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by nycvisitor
The best thing is travel already booked under the old rules will earn according to the new chart. That seems like a bad joke!
Wow, I missed this...where did you see that?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: US Plat; AA; DL
Originally Posted by johndeere19
Wow, I missed this...where did you see that?
Pull up any existing itineraries. They mention how many points will be earned and the numbers are all half what they were a couple of days ago.

Not thrilled with this change. Less thrilled with this aspect of the implementation.

-B
Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G
Originally Posted by oiuyt
Pull up any existing itineraries. They mention how many points will be earned and the numbers are all half what they were a couple of days ago.

Not thrilled with this change. Less thrilled with this aspect of the implementation.

-B
Looks like Itineraries booked before Nov.08 will still qualify for the 100% points check your Expedia Rewards Summary
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by yul7075
Looks like Itineraries booked before Nov.08 will still qualify for the 100% points check your Expedia Rewards Summary
All of my future bookings (booked BEFORE Nov 8) are displaying 'ENHANCED' earning, when I pull up the reservation(s).
Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Such total *BS* by Expedia. They dont even tell you what the new ratio of points to hotel rewards is - even the lamest of airlines do this. SOunds like maybe the program worked a little too well? Lame. Lame. Lame.
Exactly. Don't like the part

Our reward chart will also be changing effective November 22, 2011. To redeem your accumulated Expedia Points at the current conversion rates, please be sure to do so before this date.
They have fat margins on hotel bookings. Not so on airline ones.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I wrote back to Expedia to find out what the new redemption rates are going to be. Took them 7 days to get back to me.

Thank you for contacting us about new conversion rates on Expedia Rewards Program.

We apologize for the delay in answering your e-mail. We are currently experiencing an extremely high volume of e-mail requests, preventing us from responding within our normal standards.

Expedia Rewards is a free rewards program available exclusively to Expedia.com customers. Customers will earn rewards points when booking eligible travel on Expedia.com, including hotels, flights, vacation packages, and itineraries that include hotel and flight. Customers may also earn additional points through promotions and special offers.

Customers must be logged into their Expedia.com account to earn points, and the pending points will be available for redemption 30 days after the completion of travel.

Meanwhile, customers will now earn one (1) rewards point per USD2.00 they spent on flight bookings effective November 8, 2011. We have considered the feedback from our customers and partners and have taken a close look at how the economy has impacted travel today before deciding to make changes to our rewards program.

For redemptions before November 22, 2011, we will base the flight redeem rate approximately 100 points per dollar while for redemptions starting November 22, 2011, flight redeem rate will no longer be for a dollar for dollar ratio. We will base the flight costs upon the price of the flight at the time of booking. For every USD1.00 in flight cost, customers will need approximately 125 points.

Hotel redeem rate is variable and we base the rate on coupon values that start at 7,000 points for a USD50.00 hotel coupon. Your rewards points will not expire as long as you book and complete qualifying travel on Expedia.com or redeem points for a travel reward at least once every 18 months.

While we are making some small changes to Expedia Rewards today, the core program remains the same. Customers will continue to earn points on 70,000 plus hotels, 140 plus airlines, and 3,500 activities they booked on Expedia.com. Moreover, customers will earn miles with their frequent flyer programs and earn points on the same booking. We assure you that we are committed to make Expedia Rewards an attractive and unique rewards program.

If this does not answer your question or solve your problem, feel free to reply to this message or call us at 1-800-EXPEDIA (1-800-397-3342) or 1-404-728-8787 (for callers outside the U.S. and Canada) and reference case ID: M-xxxxxxx.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:39 pm

If my math is accurate....

You will have to spend $125,000 with Expedia to have enough points for a $500 dollar flight. Points expire...

Can someone explain to me how this Expedia points system is not a complete joke and worthless to 99% of everyone? With points that expire it will be nearly impossible for anyone to ever make use of them. I travel for business 2-3 times a month and I won't come close to spending $125,000 with Expedia before the points expire.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:27 am

see below
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Christopher Vaughn Gordy
If my math is accurate....

You will have to spend $125,000 with Expedia to have enough points for a $500 dollar flight. Points expire...

Can someone explain to me how this Expedia points system is not a complete joke and worthless to 99% of everyone? With points that expire it will be nearly impossible for anyone to ever make use of them. I travel for business 2-3 times a month and I won't come close to spending $125,000 with Expedia before the points expire.
Originally Posted by johnnie198x
AFAIK, you don't get Expedia points for purchasing airline tickets only. Flights must be bundled with hotel to get points.
Simply not true. The points are scant, but not that bad. Here is an external analysis of the value of the points. Also, consider that you can book travel for multiple people, such as a family or business, under the same expedia account, and all will qualify for points under one account. Most loyalty programs don't allow merging such as that.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...yalty-program/

The big problem I am having with expedia points is that they are stuck in "pending" status for over 90 days since I started traveling. When will they be released so that I can finally start to use them? Also, $3,500 spending threshold, if points expire, is going to be very difficult for me to reach, however the one good thing is if you book travel for other people, you can get their points as well. Drawback: the confirmation emails get sent to the booking agent, not in the traveler's name, which defeats the purpose of being a travel organizer. It's a dumb interface.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by launcher
Simply not true. The points are scant, but not that bad. Here is an external analysis of the value of the points. Also, consider that you can book travel for multiple people, such as a family or business, under the same expedia account, and all will qualify for points under one account. Most loyalty programs don't allow merging such as that.
You book $50K in hotels or $100K in air fare and get $1K coupon to use for hotel bookings? Sorry, but this is horrendous.

Likely 99% of Expedia's customers won't see any benefit of this "loyalty" program.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.