FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies-204/)
-   -   Expedia - Foreign Transaction Fees? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies/1238516-expedia-foreign-transaction-fees.html)

Smidget Jul 19, 2011 5:37 am

Expedia - Foreign Transaction Fees?

Sorry for the simple question, but I've been trying to search to no avail, my google skills are failing me today!

My wife and I are going to travel in May to Edinburgh, London, and then Paris. We wanted to use Expedia to book the hotels way in advance, then maybe cancel if we can get reward stays. Right now Chase Freedom has 5% cashback (or 5x points) for hotel, airfare, and gas, so we wanted to use that card, but it has a 3% foreign transaction fee.

When booking a foreign hotel on Expedia, do I get charged those fees or am I only dealing with Expedia and they deal with the foreign side of the transaction on their end?

Does this apply to other travel booking sites i.e. Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.? Or is each one different?

Thank you for the help in advance!

dls25 Jul 19, 2011 12:29 pm

Expedia will charge you in US dollars from a US location as long as you use their US website. There will be no foreign transaction fees. If you use a foreign Expedia website, there will be foreign transaction fees.

Smidget Jul 19, 2011 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by dls25 (Post 16757426)
Expedia will charge you in US dollars from a US location as long as you use their US website. There will be no foreign transaction fees. If you use a foreign Expedia website, there will be foreign transaction fees.

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to hear/read :)

Roger Jul 20, 2011 3:29 am

Originally Posted by dls25 (Post 16757426)
If you use a foreign Expedia website, there will be foreign transaction fees.

The international Expedia sites I'm familiar with (in Europe, the US and Canada) don't charge foreign transaction fees. Depending on your credit card, a currency conversion fee may be added but that would be applied by the credit card company. As it happens, I use fee-free credit cards, so no fee.

swy Sep 1, 2011 12:15 am

(replying to this thread to save starting a new one...) does the no-foreign-transaction-fees practice apply to other online hotel booking sites too? e.g. hotels.com, priceline, orbits, etc. Thanks!

B1 Sep 1, 2011 12:17 pm

I booked hotels in Italy on Expedia and was charged by some hotels in Euros. The Expedia agent explained that in some cases you are buying from Expedia in your own currency and sometimes you are buying from the hotel in theirs. In general, if you pay in advance and your credit card is charged, it is in the currency of the Expedia agency you use (.com = US, .ca = Canada). If you pay on arrival, it will be to the hotel in theirs.

vincewy Jan 28, 2018 6:22 pm

How about airlines' booking on Expedia.com? Will this be considered foreign?

MikeFromTokyo Feb 3, 2018 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy (Post 29351009)
How about airlines' booking on Expedia.com? Will this be considered foreign?

Could be, as in my experience the airline often charges directly and then expedia charges booking fee separately.

If the airline in question has a website in your home country, you could try booking that way.

There are many forex free free credit cards these days. Make sure to get one!