Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

does Expedia have a 24-hour refund policy on plane tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*

I see references to getting a refund within 24-hours on a plane ticket purchased on Expedia, but I can't find anything that looks definitive.

A friend purchased a one-way ticket on Expedia about 4 hours ago, and then I found a FF award ticket that would probably suit him much better.

Can he get a refund from Expedia (a $30 fee or similar would be fine)? I've seen lots of complaints about expedia refunds here, but those have been about refundable tickets, not a 24-hour window for a refund.

If you have some knowledge, please post asap (obviously). Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
What did the terms and conditions on the web site say when your friend purchased the ticket? Since refund terms vary from airline to airline, my guess is that if Expedia doesn't explicitly state that there is 24-hour refund policy, there isn't.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:52 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Yes, I've used Expedia's 24-hr refund on several occasions, even with nonrefundable tickets.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I've never had a problem voiding ticket purchases within 24 hours with Expedia, with the exception of certain airlines. A few years ago they told me, for instance, that they could no longer do that with Airtran. I don't know what carriers are yes/no because I've never otherwise been told no.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Possibly, if Expedia fails, if it was paid with a CC, the CC company may have a 24hr refund policy...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Interesting. I didn't think any of the OTAs had this policy (whereas many airlines do).

I actually recently bought a DL itin from DL.com at a slightly higher price rather than a mixed DL+AA itin from Travelocity strictly because I couldn't find any indication that Travelocity had a refund policy. The same AA+DL itinerary was (IIRC) available on Expedia, so had I known, I would have bought the ticket from them instead of DL.

It doesn't matter in the long run, as I ended up canceling the itinerary the next day, but I'm glad I know this for future reference.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
My friend was able to cancel his expedia flight, and they explicitly told him that they had a 24-hour refund policy.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Expedia, Orbitz, and Priceline have this policy for all flights (except I believe odd-ball carriers like Air India, Spirit, and SouthWest or something). On Orbitz you can do it online, with Expedia you have to call and speak to an agent, with Priceline you can do it automatically through their phone system without talking to an agent.

With Orbitz/Expedia it's usually 24 hours from booking. Priceline it is actually 11:59pm EST the day FOLLOWING your booking (so if you buy on day 1 at 12:01 am, you have until day 2 11:59pm - almost 48 hours). One time I booked on a Saturday morning (just after midnight), and Priceline actually gave me until 11:59pm on the MONDAY. So YMMV
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Priceline retail air tickets 24-hours guarantee

As indicated, Priceline lets you do this without talking to a person.

Here is a link which is helpful to have with the stated conditions:

http://www.priceline.com/promo/nofee...4hr_popup.html

Rasheed
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
As indicated, Priceline lets you do this without talking to a person.

Here is a link which is helpful to have with the stated conditions:

http://www.priceline.com/promo/nofee...4hr_popup.html

Rasheed
How did you find that priceline pop-up?

I know priceline USED to have the free 24-hour cancel rule, but I haven't seen it mentioned recently.

Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/300.21.012; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

While I found it via Google and it does seem to be hard to find via the website directly. If concerned, I would call to verify before booking. It used to be on the front page. It might also be on the retail page before purchase confirmation as a link or message, but I do not remember.

Rasheed
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:07 pm

I just did the "full courtesy refund" with Expedia in the 24 hour period. It took just a few minutes to do, and went smoothly. The trip used Continental and United flights.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:09 am
aeo

Is Expedia's 24 hour refund policy set out in its terms or otherwise explicitly stated on its site? I booked a ticket through them, and at every point in the booking process there was a pop up saying that the ticket was fully refundable if canceled within 24 hours. I canceled within 24 hours and the phone agent told me I would get a refund. Expedia sent me a cancellation email saying I would get a refund. But now they're refusing the refund, saying the ticket was non-refundable. My credit card issuer for some reason is siding with Expedia even though I sent them screen shots of the booking process and the email notice I got from Expedia. It would be helpful to show them a written policy, but I can't find one on Expedia's site. This is all very frustrating.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
As rules have changed since this thread has opened disregard what is above. Where are these flights to & from and were they booked via the US site?
The DOT has a 24 hour rule but it only applies to tickets sold to or from the US.

Originally Posted by aeo
Is Expedia's 24 hour refund policy set out in its terms or otherwise explicitly stated on its site? I booked a ticket through them, and at every point in the booking process there was a pop up saying that the ticket was fully refundable if canceled within 24 hours. I canceled within 24 hours and the phone agent told me I would get a refund. Expedia sent me a cancellation email saying I would get a refund. But now they're refusing the refund, saying the ticket was non-refundable. My credit card issuer for some reason is siding with Expedia even though I sent them screen shots of the booking process and the email notice I got from Expedia. It would be helpful to show them a written policy, but I can't find one on Expedia's site. This is all very frustrating.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Even though the DOT 24-hour rule only applies for flights from or to the US, Expedia seems to apply it to all the booking I make. Most of mine on Expedia are for Air China domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.