Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

[Priceline Bidding] New site for Priceline hotel bidding help

[Priceline Bidding] New site for Priceline hotel bidding help

Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I've also used the site a number of times for suggested prices only.
Then have also actually bid with it 4 times, but always higher than the low ball and lower than the max price.
Have never gotten a booking with it yet.

Priceline today says congrats they've upgraded me to a 3.5 star hilton instead of nearby 3 star doubletree for the same price.
What they don't say is doubltree is free parking, whereas hilton charges $17/day. Considering cancelling it.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by euromannn
Can anyone explain why BiddingTraveler(BT) web site has "low bid" prices higher than many winning bids on biddingfortravel web site?

I posted a winning bid of $70(tax/fee/bid==$88.40) for Vancouver, CA for downtown 4* on Jan 22, 2011. BiddingTraveler said start low bid was $108. Not even close.

Seems like BT has insufficient data to determine winning bids and you still must use other web sites to find the best bids?

I have posted above on this blog and written to BiddingTraveler but has not responded.
You hit the nail on the head. Biddingtraveler doesn't have comprehensive data and hotel prices fluctuate wildly. I personally don't think it's possible to predict what the hotel will go for because there are so many factors at play. Weekend, season, occupancy, capacity, vacancy, economy, etc.

My approach has always been to check Hotwire, and check how many rebids you have on Priceline, then subtract $5-$10 for each rebid. E.g., if Hotwire is going for $100 and you have 6 rebids, start at $70 and work your way up to $100 in $5 increments. Of course, this will depend on your budget, the number of rebids you have, etc. but this is a general rule... plan to max out on Hotwire's price, start low, and work your way up.

Did you get the new Marriott Pinnacle? I stayed there during the Olympics. Great new hotel. I got this hotel on my first bid for $81, and always wondered... how low could I have gone? LOL.

By the way, I am the creator of (edited by moderator) , a similar site to the ones mentioned above, and I have a bunch of great ideas, some of which I (admittedly) haven't been able to execute yet because I just don't have the traffic quite. I need about 50% more traffic before I can really get some cool Priceline features working. Stay tuned.

Last edited by jabez; Jan 25, 2011 at 11:31 am Reason: Did not follow rules in my sticky about new website intros
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by ranman1973
By the way, I am the creator of (edited by moderator), a similar site to the ones mentioned above, and I have a bunch of great ideas, some of which I (admittedly) haven't been able to execute yet because I just don't have the traffic quite. I need about 50% more traffic before I can really get some cool Priceline features working. Stay tuned.
Threadjacking someone else's "ask for feedback" thread to promote your own site.. classy.

Last edited by jabez; Jan 25, 2011 at 11:31 am
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
I got the newly remodel Vancouver Pinnacle Marriott and I got a free view upgrade since I was a platinum member. A great hotel and staff and I made sure I let them know with "3 thank you cards" for the good experience. lol

Regarding your rate guess on PL. It depends on the seasonal time you bid the rate. I knew the bidding range due a very RUDE web site run by a very RUDE woman who bans people who post winning bids. CalItalian used to work for this RUDE web site but quit for unknown reasons.

$66-$70 bid was achievable in January on Saturdays. Less on weekdays.

Maybe we can exchange ideas on bidding levels?
what price did you pay for Van Pinnacle Marriott during Olympics?

Originally Posted by ranman1973
You hit the nail on the head. Biddingtraveler doesn't have comprehensive data and hotel prices fluctuate wildly. I personally don't think it's possible to predict what the hotel will go for because there are so many factors at play. Weekend, season, occupancy, capacity, vacancy, economy, etc.

My approach has always been to check Hotwire, and check how many rebids you have on Priceline, then subtract $5-$10 for each rebid. E.g., if Hotwire is going for $100 and you have 6 rebids, start at $70 and work your way up to $100 in $5 increments. Of course, this will depend on your budget, the number of rebids you have, etc. but this is a general rule... plan to max out on Hotwire's price, start low, and work your way up.

Did you get the new Marriott Pinnacle? I stayed there during the Olympics. Great new hotel. I got this hotel on my first bid for $81, and always wondered... how low could I have gone? LOL.

By the way, I am the creator of (edited by moderator) , a similar site to the ones mentioned above, and I have a bunch of great ideas, some of which I (admittedly) haven't been able to execute yet because I just don't have the traffic quite. I need about 50% more traffic before I can really get some cool Priceline features working. Stay tuned.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:19 pm

IS BiddingTravel a company already up and running or is this just prototype software still in research?

hard to keep focused on the product when the OP disappears for a week while the software bugs are being discussed.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:51 am

Smile

Newbie here:

I used your site/program today. It was the first time I ever used PL, so I was a little nervous. It was easy with your help and I'm really happy with my hotel deal.

Details: New Orleans, 3 star hotel, Holiday Inn French Quarter Saturday and Sunday night stay in March: $91/night ----normally $142. (please don't tell me I could have done better, I'll worry about it for months!)

I did veer from the suggested bid on the very last one: at $90, I got a counter offer for 104. The suggested bid was 100, but thought that was too close to the counter, so I tried $1 more (91) and won.

one suggestion: When I wanted to print my PL receipt, I couldn't remove the helping header, so I had to open in a new tab to print all on one page. A little X to close at the end would be nice.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Welcome to FT, gentryart!

If you bid $90 and were rejected and then $91 and were accepted, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say you didn't spend one dollar more than you needed to. Nice job!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:55 pm

gentryart,
Congrats especially for first try. The OP's web site does not have an up to date tracking of PL bids which compromises the efficiency of the OP's web site.

It's been 1.5 weeks and theOP has not responded to feedback on many issues so in the future cross reference lowest bids with other tracking web sites as none seem to be up to date with latest bid data.

Originally Posted by gentryart
Newbie here:

I used your site/program today. It was the first time I ever used PL, so I was a little nervous. It was easy with your help and I'm really happy with my hotel deal.

Details: New Orleans, 3 star hotel, Holiday Inn French Quarter Saturday and Sunday night stay in March: $91/night ----normally $142. (please don't tell me I could have done better, I'll worry about it for months!)

I did veer from the suggested bid on the very last one: at $90, I got a counter offer for 104. The suggested bid was 100, but thought that was too close to the counter, so I tried $1 more (91) and won.

one suggestion: When I wanted to print my PL receipt, I couldn't remove the helping header, so I had to open in a new tab to print all on one page. A little X to close at the end would be nice.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the tips!
I used the same/similar strategy for Priceline NYOP for our flight down there, ended up with Ind-MSY for $200 RT. (one stop in Dallas)
I just put in different nearby towns for each new bid, but used the same desired airport. When I couldn't get low enough to justify an additional hotel night for a saturday return, I tried for a friday return and won the $200 ticket.
I'm pretty happy with that, as the lowest I could get before I found FT was $320 RT.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msimons
I've also used the site a number of times for suggested prices only.
Then have also actually bid with it 4 times, but always higher than the low ball and lower than the max price.
Originally Posted by msimons
Have never gotten a booking with it yet.
Hmm, maybe the latter is the result of the former?

In all seriousness, we just finished tweaking the bid range recommendation slightly to weight more heavily towards winning bids. (It does not make sense to tell someone to start his 4* NYC bidding at $30.. that just wastes everyone's time). We've also been somewhat busy as a result of steady site users and some recent great press. Analyzing the site logs and bugs takes up quite a fair bit of time and prevents me from being able to peruse and respond on this thread 24 hours a day.

If I could address the point about choosing bid increments: this is totally available in the manual bidding path. Just override all the edit boxes to contain your own increments. We just don't do this in the automatic bidding path because we don't want the tool to become exploitative (I'd mentioned this earlier in the thread).

There was also a comment or two about the site data and experimentation. The site collects data as people use it, so yes, it does get better the more users come and play. We do curate the data as well, both algorithmically and manually. The algorithms which recommend bid ranges and choose what data to display are also sensitive to different factors (like when you're going, weekend/weekday status), so that might explain why certain numbers are the way they are.

Lastly, I wanted to mention that we've been busy and just released a few minor improvements. I'd rather not crosspost here and pollute the thread with more screenshots so I'll just redirect interested readers to the blog.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:29 am

I'd like the option to stop auto bidding when a counter offer is received. Tell us how many rebids are available. Let us set a new maximum and minimum (next) bid.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:34 pm

ORD - Westin

Hi,
used the tool first time today and got Westin O'Hare @ 59USD ex tax (75USD gross) for one night mon/tue. 192USD is the lowest I found on other sites, so a 117USD discount. I guess OK?? I am happy

Tip for non-US users: I do not have US credit card nor address so need to use priceline.co.uk. I used two IE windows: one with bidder steps on a US PL site and the other with UK PL where I made the real bid. When bidder tells you to restart by clicking "Hotels" you will notice that UK site has a different setup, you just need to go back to UK PL home page and start all over.

M.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:43 pm

Did you address the "long delay" of over 5-7 minutes plus to respond when a bid is submitted? No response

Where are you pulling in your new bid data from and how to verify it's accuracy as I doubt priceline is sharing winning bid information with you?

Unfortunately, the OP has elected to release a product that is in beta testing but doesn't respond to emails or takes almost 2 weeks via the blog.

Not the most efficient method to address concerns.

Originally Posted by biddingtraveler
Hmm, maybe the latter is the result of the former?

In all seriousness, we just finished tweaking the bid range recommendation slightly to weight more heavily towards winning bids. (It does not make sense to tell someone to start his 4* NYC bidding at $30.. that just wastes everyone's time). We've also been somewhat busy as a result of steady site users and some recent great press. Analyzing the site logs and bugs takes up quite a fair bit of time and prevents me from being able to peruse and respond on this thread 24 hours a day.

If I could address the point about choosing bid increments: this is totally available in the manual bidding path. Just override all the edit boxes to contain your own increments. We just don't do this in the automatic bidding path because we don't want the tool to become exploitative (I'd mentioned this earlier in the thread).

There was also a comment or two about the site data and experimentation. The site collects data as people use it, so yes, it does get better the more users come and play. We do curate the data as well, both algorithmically and manually. The algorithms which recommend bid ranges and choose what data to display are also sensitive to different factors (like when you're going, weekend/weekday status), so that might explain why certain numbers are the way they are.

Lastly, I wanted to mention that we've been busy and just released a few minor improvements. I'd rather not crosspost here and pollute the thread with more screenshots so I'll just redirect interested readers to the blog.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by euromannn
Did you address the "long delay" of over 5-7 minutes plus to respond when a bid is submitted? No response

Where are you pulling in your new bid data from and how to verify it's accuracy as I doubt priceline is sharing winning bid information with you?

Unfortunately, the OP has elected to release a product that is in beta testing but doesn't respond to emails or takes almost 2 weeks via the blog.

Not the most efficient method to address concerns.
I am guessing he's getting a lot (all or most?) of the data from people using the site for bidding.

I got a response to a message sent via the contact link through the site within a day addressing an issue I had when Priceline responds with the "We're Still Working On Your Request" page instead of either acceptance or rejection. I did notice in the autobidding session I tried that you can sort of see what Priceline's site is doing in the background behind the autobidding screen. Any delays I've seen, other than the one I reported, are a result of the speed of Priceline's responding to all the data.

I've seen quite a few comments on this thread more related to Priceline bidding than how/if biddingtravel.com works which I'm not sure the OP has any control over.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:45 pm

DAIFlyer,
Although the OP seems to be working bugs he doesn't address specific feedback thus confusing the tool's progress. I again ran the tool and it hung over 10 minutes when you make multiple bids(5).

I also noticed that now the BT web site as some newer data points a accepted bids but starts the lowest bid well above many winning bids which is inconsistent with bidding strategy.

I also checked the BT blog for details for bug fixes but found nothing in detail.

Thus continue to see issues with long delays in processing and bid data.
Originally Posted by DIAFlyer
I am guessing he's getting a lot (all or most?) of the data from people using the site for bidding.

I got a response to a message sent via the contact link through the site within a day addressing an issue I had when Priceline responds with the "We're Still Working On Your Request" page instead of either acceptance or rejection. I did notice in the autobidding session I tried that you can sort of see what Priceline's site is doing in the background behind the autobidding screen. Any delays I've seen, other than the one I reported, are a result of the speed of Priceline's responding to all the data.

I've seen quite a few comments on this thread more related to Priceline bidding than how/if biddingtravel.com works which I'm not sure the OP has any control over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.