Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

I Took Orbitz to Small Claims Court and Won - Here's How

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Took Orbitz to Small Claims Court and Won - Here's How

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: Credit Cards
impressive!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Congratulations!!! I'm suprised that Orbitz made the effort to defend the lawsuit. Over the years I've filed 4 small claims suits against different carriers, none of which were defended. One carrier offered to settle out of court if I signed a confidentiality agreement, which I did. Possibly they didn't want me posting my experience on FlyerTalk, might give other passengers ideas.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Good. I hate Orbitz.

Great job.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
excellent!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:30 am

Congrats! Orbitz customer service is just about the worst.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Congratulations! We need more people to stand up for their rights.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:38 am

yeah orbitz suck pretty bad. With their outsourced CC it sucks pretty royally.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm quite shocked that the small claims court assessed "damages" beyond actual losses. That definitely is a no-go in New York City small claims.

What jurisdiction did you file in?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:53 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This is an ideal thread for our Online Travel Booking and Bidding forum, as the experiences of the OP related so specifically to the travel provider's internet site and method of operation, so please follow it as it moves there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Good for you!!!!

The principle is what is really important in these cases, although some compensation for one's time, effort and frustration in reaching anyone who can make a decision certainly is critical as well. I'm so frustrated at the moment myself, although I cannot figure out who I would file a claim against in the instance below.

My sister and I were booked (via Bookit.com) on a trip to Mazatlan from Chicago (via Phoenix) on US Airways. When we arrived at O'Hare we were told on check-in that the flight to Phoenix had been cancelled and that there was no other airline that would get us there in time to for the flight to Mazatlan. We tried to reach Bookit to see if they could do anything with the flights and/or change the hotel reservations to arrival on the next day (since US Airways was willing to reissue the ticket on the following day). Of course, no one answered at Bookit, so we had to make a decision. We are both Star Alliance Gold but, unlike United, apparently US Airways does not automatically reroute its "valued" customers in situations like this but waits until they show up at the airport.

We went back into line, and US Airways rerouted us on American Airlines from Chicago to Dallas to Mexico City, and then on Mexicana from Mexico City to Mazatlan. After trudging over to American Airlines and waiting in line (and nearly missing the cut-off time for luggage), a very nice supervisor who indicated she didn't usually work out front checked our luggage in all the way to Mazatlan and gave us two boarding passes on American and a third on Mexico Airlines.

En route to Mexico City, I noticed that the boarding passes, even though they had seat numbers, indicated "ticket required." We asked 3 different Mexicana agents in the airport what that meant and they assured us there was no problem. After going through immigration and customs and coming back through security in the Mexico City airport, I thought all was fine. It was until we got to the gate and went to change our seats and the girl indicated we needed a ticket. She was very rude and insulting and kept insisting that "we go with American." We offered to pay for a ticket, figuring we would resolve this later, but she couldn't do that either. All this, 15 minutes prior to departure. After two stops at other Mexicana desks, a very kind man picked up the phone, talked to somebody somewhere and reissued boarding passes with a ticket # on them. We were able to make the 8:00 flight, arriving in Mazatlan nearly 9 hours late, missing our scheduled ride and prepaid lunch and dinner.

Fast forward.....on return, I contacted each of the airlines. Mexicana via its web chat feature indicated our tickets were fine and there shouldn't be a problem, but via e-mail notes that the problem was with American Airlines and that what we were in possession of shouldn't have even allowed us through security. American Airlines says US Air only endorsed our tickets as far as Mexico City, and that besides it wasn't their job to print either the Mexicana ticket or boarding pass. US Air pulls the weather card, and claims no liability. Bookit indicates it has no responsibility..."it merely passes the information along to the airline."

Any advice?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: United Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Check with the credit card

Originally Posted by janicerobertson
The principle is what is really important in these cases, although some compensation for one's time, effort and frustration in reaching anyone who can make a decision certainly is critical as well. I'm so frustrated at the moment myself, although I cannot figure out who I would file a claim against in the instance below.

My sister and I were booked (via Bookit.com) on a trip to Mazatlan from Chicago (via Phoenix) on US Airways. When we arrived at O'Hare we were told on check-in that the flight to Phoenix had been cancelled and that there was no other airline that would get us there in time to for the flight to Mazatlan. We tried to reach Bookit to see if they could do anything with the flights and/or change the hotel reservations to arrival on the next day (since US Airways was willing to reissue the ticket on the following day). Of course, no one answered at Bookit, so we had to make a decision. We are both Star Alliance Gold but, unlike United, apparently US Airways does not automatically reroute its "valued" customers in situations like this but waits until they show up at the airport.

We went back into line, and US Airways rerouted us on American Airlines from Chicago to Dallas to Mexico City, and then on Mexicana from Mexico City to Mazatlan. After trudging over to American Airlines and waiting in line (and nearly missing the cut-off time for luggage), a very nice supervisor who indicated she didn't usually work out front checked our luggage in all the way to Mazatlan and gave us two boarding passes on American and a third on Mexico Airlines.

En route to Mexico City, I noticed that the boarding passes, even though they had seat numbers, indicated "ticket required." We asked 3 different Mexicana agents in the airport what that meant and they assured us there was no problem. After going through immigration and customs and coming back through security in the Mexico City airport, I thought all was fine. It was until we got to the gate and went to change our seats and the girl indicated we needed a ticket. She was very rude and insulting and kept insisting that "we go with American." We offered to pay for a ticket, figuring we would resolve this later, but she couldn't do that either. All this, 15 minutes prior to departure. After two stops at other Mexicana desks, a very kind man picked up the phone, talked to somebody somewhere and reissued boarding passes with a ticket # on them. We were able to make the 8:00 flight, arriving in Mazatlan nearly 9 hours late, missing our scheduled ride and prepaid lunch and dinner.

Fast forward.....on return, I contacted each of the airlines. Mexicana via its web chat feature indicated our tickets were fine and there shouldn't be a problem, but via e-mail notes that the problem was with American Airlines and that what we were in possession of shouldn't have even allowed us through security. American Airlines says US Air only endorsed our tickets as far as Mexico City, and that besides it wasn't their job to print either the Mexicana ticket or boarding pass. US Air pulls the weather card, and claims no liability. Bookit indicates it has no responsibility..."it merely passes the information along to the airline."

Any advice?

Most credit cards do have Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption Insurance. My American express has it. Check if you card has it, you can claim insurance if you charged the entire amount to your card.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:48 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by monkey99
Most credit cards do have Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption Insurance. My American express has it. Check if you card has it, you can claim insurance if you charged the entire amount to your card.
which US AMEX or other cc has this?
not green AMEX, open CB or optima
or many chase
or even NFCU visa

does schwab FIA have it?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: United Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by frank_10b
which US AMEX or other cc has this?
not green AMEX, open CB or optima
or many chase
or even NFCU visa

does schwab FIA have it?
My Citi® Platinum American Express® Card has it.
https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/c...ituency_detail
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm quite shocked that the small claims court assessed "damages" beyond actual losses. That definitely is a no-go in New York City small claims.

What jurisdiction did you file in?
+1 on the question?

Plus do you have any background in the law field?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:02 pm

Congrats!

Let us know if orbitz pays out or if you have to hound them, and if that works out.

Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.