Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of “Date/Time/Carrier” changes. Phrase now used is “changes to ticketed points”
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QR’s Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth

KVS still doesn't show the OWE fares - xONEx
but I guess that is fair enough, because QR is not yet in OW

Still, we should now be able to book Global Explorer fares that start from/include SEZ
And since SEZ is in Africa, an ex-SEZ ticket can end anywhere in Africa
Yes, but the Global Explorer fares are nothing special (having recently gone up a lot -- ie actually been issued afresh)... and given the Explorer fares are normally close to xONEx fares from other starting points I would expect something to change (and not for the better) when QR joins.
Thus SEZ in my mind is moot.

Last edited by moa999; Mar 7, 2013 at 3:35 pm
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by correctioncx
I can't seem to get the SEZ fares to pop up? How did you do it?

the fares look really good!!!! It might still be bookable as the first sector maybe able to be a land segment? can't it be???
I typed "FQSEZSEZ-BA/USD" in Abacus (Sabre). As others have said, it might not be bookable. I don't know.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:03 am
Suspended

Actually if the Global Explorer fare is still Valid then it is NOT bad at all. because take the 34K miles, only 3.5K USD!

And u can take QR to escape SEZ first and then can end up in other parts of Africa Oneworld airline flies to..

Can be considered.......
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by correctioncx
I can't seem to get the SEZ fares to pop up? How did you do it?

the fares look really good!!!! It might still be bookable as the first sector maybe able to be a land segment? can't it be???
No.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No.
Well then global explorer seems ok? U can now use QR?

However how do we ticket this?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
New Version of the Rule Sheet - dated 1 July 2013

Now showing on the OW web site - link here

As far as I can see, the only change is in Rule 10 "Sales Restrictions"

Previous Wording:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within the European Common Aviation Area (ECAA)/Switzerland.
New wording:
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:50 am

Now showing on the OW web site - link here

Previous Wording:
New wording:
Sounds like Europeans can now take advantage of cheap(er) ex-CAI fares without leaving home.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Sounds like Europeans can now take advantage of cheap(er) ex-CAI fares without leaving home.
Please explain. ex-CAI would be ex-Middle East rather than ex-Europe I would think. No?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
Please explain. ex-CAI would be ex-Middle East rather than ex-Europe I would think. No?
For xONEx trip-routing purposes, North Africa and the Middle East are in "Europe". That doesn't mean that OW is using the same definition for the purposes of the rule being discussed, of course.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by JohnAx
For xONEx trip-routing purposes, North Africa and the Middle East are in "Europe". That doesn't mean that OW is using the same definition for the purposes of the rule being discussed, of course.
Even though Middle East is part of "Europe" for continent routing rules, it is separate for other rules. ie, you can finish "within the middle east", not "within europe".
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
How can I find out the latest LONEx and DONEx fares for different countries?

I have KVS but the RTW option is no longer there under fares. Also haven't seen a list on here anywhere recently, apologies if I have missed this somehow!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by justin1123

I have KVS but the RTW option is no longer there under fares. Also haven't seen a list on here anywhere recently, apologies if I have missed this somehow!
Expert Flyer, or pricing out basic trips on the tool.

No way at the moment to see current prices from more then one country at a time.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:51 am
Original Poster

The RTW option in KVS has been gone for some time
but there is a (messy) way to get at them (but only one at a time, as Himeno said)
See http://www.kvstool.com/FAQ.php?Source=SD-HELP#RTW
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
It no longer permits the purchase of additional segments above the four (six in N.A.) per continent. Or maybe this happened even earlier but I missed it then?

I use ExpertFlyer. Enter the same airport code for origination, destination, and purchasing location. If desired, can also enter A, D, or L as booking code.

Still have to do a separate query origin by origin. There was some discussion a few years back about making the comparison spreadsheet available to EF subscribers, which would both make things easier for people to compare fares, continents, classes, and origins, and also reduce EF's costs since subscribers would access the spreadsheet rather than making multiple queries. But nothing came of it.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
It no longer permits the purchase of additional segments above the four (six in N.A.) per continent. Or maybe this happened even earlier but I missed it then?
Well spotted

Checking on earlier versions - and the ability to purchase additional segments was still there in the March-2013 version.
So yes, rules have been further enhanced

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.