Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of “Date/Time/Carrier” changes. Phrase now used is “changes to ticketed points”
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QR’s Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Given "simpler and fairer" nature of QFF rules have you considered
LHR-CAI-DOH-CAI-LHR

The DOH-CAI segment books into A and is (theoretically) worth 150SC each way...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
Update

Well I've just finished my 4th conversation with the rtw desk. I must say they have been very helpful. They agree that there are two conflicting versions of the rules about the number of return trips to the ME from LHR. They have sent in a query to their one world liaison person at OW headquarters to clarify this situation. So when they have the official clarification we will know more. In the meantime I'm just sitting and waiting...
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:00 am

...and have just been told that the answer is 'NO'. You cannot have two return trips to the ME from LHR, despite what the current version of the rules say on the OW website (and EF for that matter).

So there you go! At least I tried.

Thx for all the suggestions and feedback.

Medicus
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by medicus
...and have just been told that the answer is 'NO'. You cannot have two return trips to the ME from LHR, despite what the current version of the rules say on the OW website (and EF for that matter).

So there you go! At least I tried.

Thx for all the suggestions and feedback.

Medicus
Why did they say no? I mean, which rule informed their decision?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:42 am

When I made the last call the agent just looked at my record locator and said 'they're not going to let you do what you wanted to. They said no to two trips.' I didn't argue. I think that they believe that the omission of that rule in the published fares was a mistake, as in their version of the rules it still stands.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I have now closely read the new version of the rule sheet [Feb 2017].........
To download the latest OW rules I used to choose Terms and Conditions at the bottom of
https://www.oneworld.com/flights/rou...world-explorer
and open the Explorer rule sheet.

But this only shows the Dec 2016 rules.

PandaPerth: Could you kindly post the URL for the latest rules. Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Full Score
To download the latest OW rules I used to choose Terms and Conditions at the bottom of
https://www.oneworld.com/flights/rou...world-explorer
and open the Explorer rule sheet.

But this only shows the Dec 2016 rules.

PandaPerth: Could you kindly post the URL for the latest rules. Thanks.
That's where I always go to get the latest rule sheet.

While the web page states "All information is up-to-date as of 1 December 2016", if you open the rule sheet in Acrobat Reader and view its properties, its Modification Date is 1-February-17 (right-click in the document and then select Document Properties). (so, sloppy web page maintenance IMHO.)

And this version is different from the 1-December-2016 version, as documented in this thread.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
....open the rule sheet in Acrobat Reader and view its properties, its Modification Date is 1-February-17 (right-click in the document and then select Document Properties)....
Thank you panda perth. Most helpful.

On a Mac using Acrobat Reader that would be File/Properties.../Description, and for anyone using PDFPen Pro: Window/Document Info.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific
Looks like I did a sloppy job of checking the changes in the latest (2016-April-22) rule sheet, and I missed two items (at least!)

This post discusses what I think is the more significant item, and my next post will discuss the other item.

ajnaro has pointed out in another thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post26914209) that the wording of the "Sales Restrictions" section has changed

The pre April 22nd wording was (my bolding):

And the new wording is:

So, as ajnaro said in his post^

So now I'm thinking of purchasing my next ex-Africa xONEx in Australia to avoid the FX fees my Australian CC provider charges.

Hi Pandaperth (and all)

Please excuse another simple question from on old newbie to this place. I had some posting more than a year ago about my buying a RTW ticket in to begin and end in NRT (I live in HKG) and found a friendly travel. agent who would work with me on this and take my Hong Kong credit card and sell the ticket.

I had to to do this because when I booked the ticket on line on the oneworld website for a ticket with a JPY everything worked until the end, when I got an indeterminate message that said "call AA RTW, you have a problem with your booking". AA RTW told me that I needed a credit card issued to a Japanese resident to make a booking for ticket with a JPY price, and that absent this credit card to use the online tool I needed to start my trip in HKG (and pay the HKG price).

Are you saying, or given these are rule changes and the real world may be different, both for on-line and agent purchases, that this is no longer the case? That if I work through the oneworld site and use my HKG credit card the RTW originating in NRT can be purchased? I could try it myself but perhaps someone has done it or not done it.Alternatively, does the rule mean that oneworld will now officially permit the practice my Japan travel agent has been doing to date.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Compliance Brain
Hi Pandaperth (and all)

Please excuse another simple question from on old newbie to this place. I had some posting more than a year ago about my buying a RTW ticket in to begin and end in NRT (I live in HKG) and found a friendly travel. agent who would work with me on this and take my Hong Kong credit card and sell the ticket.

I had to to do this because when I booked the ticket on line on the oneworld website for a ticket with a JPY everything worked until the end, when I got an indeterminate message that said "call AA RTW, you have a problem with your booking". AA RTW told me that I needed a credit card issued to a Japanese resident to make a booking for ticket with a JPY price, and that absent this credit card to use the online tool I needed to start my trip in HKG (and pay the HKG price).
There was a rule in place that required that the price of the country of departure be converted to the currency of the country of sale and if the resulting pricing was less then the equivalent RTW ticket departing the country of sale, the higher price would be charged.

eg I'm based in AU. I've been getting DONE3's from JP for the past several years. At the time, DONE3's were not possible from AU (and still aren't for the trips I take) so DONE4 prices here...
An ex JP DONE4 is 780400JPY (before tax), around 9500AUD.
An ex AU DONE is 11999AUD.
Before the rule change around a year ago, I would have been charged the higher AU price for the ex JP ticket. (I have no idea what they would have tried to charge for a ticket not available from AU)

After the rule change, I would now just pay the 9500.

After a large amount of people booked cheap ex Egypt tickets from outside Egypt, AA started requiring that the card used for payment was issued in the country of departure. This is extra to the rules. I'm not sure if they are still requiring that.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:30 am

I don't believe that Himeno is correct, as it relates to Egypt. It was never a question of higher point of sale, country of residence for the card, etc. It was an unexpected devaluation of the Egyptian currency that caused the AA and OW to suspend or not file fares for trips originating in Egypt.
I had booked a DONE4 online that originated in JNB. Since LATAM issued the ticket, they had no problem converting the lower ZAR price to US $ and charging my US credit card. So, I would say to have your Japanese travel agent try again. There should be no issues with credit card residency. Forget the online booking tool. It was 'enhanced' as the BA FT'ers say.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was never a question of residency, although some airlines inferred that. It was a question of where the ticketing agent was based.

Oneworld certainly could have put in a residency restriction but for whatever reason they did not. (Maybe it would be totally impractical to require all oneworld airlines to enforce a local proof of residency at check in; and plenty of airlines still accept cash/cheque/vouchers/etc so making a credit card verification would be difficult.)

However that rule has now been removed.

The new wording about converting the resultant fare is redundant; it simply restates how buying air tickets in a different sales city to the origin city normally works. The fare is converted to the local currency at the rate specified in the daily IATA Consolidated Exchange Rate file.

Last edited by Calchas; Apr 18, 2017 at 10:19 am
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Compliance Brain
Hi Pandaperth (and all)

snip

Are you saying, or given these are rule changes and the real world may be different, both for on-line and agent purchases, that this is no longer the case? That if I work through the oneworld site and use my HKG credit card the RTW originating in NRT can be purchased? I could try it myself but perhaps someone has done it or not done it.Alternatively, does the rule mean that oneworld will now officially permit the practice my Japan travel agent has been doing to date.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.
Yes.

Since the rule change last April, I do not recall anyone reporting that AA was still requiring the credit used for payment have a country of origin billing address. (IIRC it was only AA that did this, and it was only for ex-South Africa and ex-Japan itineraries.)

So, you should be able to use the on-line tool to book an ex-Japan itinerary and pay for it with your Hong Kong credit card - even when the ticketing carrier is AA. However I don't think anyone has reported successfully doing that.

I personally have purchased direct from AA an ex-Mozambique ticket, paying for it in Australia. The all-in price was converted from the country of origin currency to AUD. The telephone agents I worked with made no mention at all of credit card billing address or the like.
(I flew in to JNB yesterday, to spend a few weeks in Africa before I start this journey in early June )
Old May 4, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Just read through a bunch of this thread and the AA issue for Europe / Middle East where itinerary includes South Africa.

I'm in the middle of DONE4 booked BEFORE on BA in Sept 2016 but taken over by AA RTW after first flight (Jan 2017):

JNB-xDOH-NorthAmerica-Asia-HEL-MAD-JNB

And I'm considering a change to:

JNB-xDOH-NorthAmerica-Asia-AMM-FCO-LHR-JNB

The tool won't price a new itinerary like that, with error 2622: Your itinerary cannot include any flow or surface sector between Europe and Middle East.

My read of the old rules is this would be 3.2.2 (Middle East twice but one less than 24 hour) - so no restriction on Europe-Middle East flights?

My read on the NEW rules is that it should simply be allowed without issue.

BUT... I'm ticketed with AA, so who knows. Has anyone actually been able to get AA to allow Europe - Middle East segments with leaving via ME (<24hr) and returning via ME - under old rules 3.2.2 OR under the new rules?
Old May 4, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

The online booking tool is out of date with regard to the backtracking rules - don't trust what it says.

What matters for you is what the rules in place when you purchased back in Sept 2016 had to say regarding backtracking. And by that time the restrictions on flights between the Europe Zone and the Middle East Zone had been removed (they were removed in April 2016).

So AA should therefore allow your AMM-FCO flight without any issues.

However, I do not recall anyone on FT reporting success doing this.

(I will be trying to do it with my next DONE, which I start in a few weeks and will want to make the changes after I take the first couple of flights.)

Originally Posted by cphurley
Just read through a bunch of this thread and the AA issue for Europe / Middle East where itinerary includes South Africa.

I'm in the middle of DONE4 booked BEFORE on BA in Sept 2016 but taken over by AA RTW after first flight (Jan 2017):

JNB-xDOH-NorthAmerica-Asia-HEL-MAD-JNB

And I'm considering a change to:

JNB-xDOH-NorthAmerica-Asia-AMM-FCO-LHR-JNB

The tool won't price a new itinerary like that, with error 2622: Your itinerary cannot include any flow or surface sector between Europe and Middle East.

My read of the old rules is this would be 3.2.2 (Middle East twice but one less than 24 hour) - so no restriction on Europe-Middle East flights?

My read on the NEW rules is that it should simply be allowed without issue.

BUT... I'm ticketed with AA, so who knows. Has anyone actually been able to get AA to allow Europe - Middle East segments with leaving via ME (<24hr) and returning via ME - under old rules 3.2.2 OR under the new rules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.