Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of Date/Time/Carrier changes. Phrase now used is changes to ticketed points
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QRs Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beardoc
Thanks for this - I'm trying to work out where in the rules this would be a reissue - I know the taxes that should be collected would change, but it seems to me that under the rules, nothing would change. If you just changed the date here, surely you would be due to pay APD and therefore if they didn't reissue, then you're likely to have problems exiting the UK without paying all the taxes, right?

I don't mind paying the APD in this circumstance, I'm just wanting to make sure that this wouldn't trigger a ticket reissue and therefore a possible repricing.
The ticket won't be repriced (in the sense of base fare changes) on re-issue unless you have flown 0 sectors and you are changing the first flight coupon.

However the taxes/fees part may be recalculated.

No one will stop you exiting the UK for unpaid APD. The airlines report their movements to the Exchequer who then demands the appropriate payment (credit cards not accepted) for the previous year. The airlines may be audited from time to time.

If the airline forgot to pass on the tax to the customer that is a matter between the airline and the customer. The liability rests with the airline not the passenger.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
New Version - 1-June-2015

Still comparing the new rule sheet to the previous one. Only change I've spotted so far is:

Rule 4(K) - Tampa has been added to the list of East Coast cities from/to which only one transcontinental flight is allowed
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:32 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Rule 4(K) - Tampa has been added to the list of East Coast cities from/to which only one transcontinental flight is allowed
dang.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
.....Rule 4(K) - Tampa has been added to the list of East Coast cities from/to which only one transcontinental flight is allowed
That's a real shame - LAX-TPA, then MIA-LAX is a combination I use a lot.

When are we going to see some changes that are actually positive for the consumer? It's a constant stream of nickel and diming negative changes, price increases, and withdrawals of First on some major routes, e.g. it's now impossible to fly F between Asia/Australia and South Africa.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
New Version - 1-September-2015

Only changes I've spotted so far:
  • Rule 4(K) - Atlanta has been added to the list of East Coast cities from/to which only one transcontinental flight is allowed
  • Rule 26 -some changes to the booking codes to be used for Group Bookings
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: QFF
Rule 4(K) - Atlanta has been added to the list of East Coast cities from/to which only one transcontinental flight is allowed

Are we going to end up with any flight between PT and ET is "transcon"?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
  • Rule 4(K) - Atlanta has been added to the list of East Coast cities from/to which only one transcontinental flight is allowed
  • Rule 26 -some changes to the booking codes to be used for Group Bookings
This is very bad for BAEC flyers that were using an xONEx to fly >2000 mile flights. With the addition of TPA and now ATL, there are very few options for >2000 mile flights in A class in the USA (therefore earning 210 TP each flight).

This makes the xONEx fare a little more challenging for BAEC Tier Point runners.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is very bad for BAEC flyers that were using an xONEx to fly >2000 mile flights. With the addition of TPA and now ATL, there are very few options for >2000 mile flights in A class in the USA (therefore earning 210 TP each flight).

This makes the xONEx fare a little more challenging for BAEC Tier Point runners.
But the intention was always only one trans con flight. There might have been exceptions but they were accidental

If you are a serious TP runner you can still do e.g.,
HNL-PHX-ANC-DFW-LAX-MIA

at 4 lots of 210 + 60 or 900 points in the USA (with one sector left).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Calchas
HNL-PHX-ANC-DFW-LAX-MIA
ANC/DFW only operates for part of the year.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
ANC/DFW only operates for part of the year.
ANC-PHX is also 210
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA DL
I believe AA connecting flights with a single flight number and > 2,000 miles also give 210 tier points in F. There may be a few of these.

E.g. Boise-Boston or Boise-Baltimore.

East to spot using the AA timetable pdf
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wingzing
I believe AA connecting flights with a single flight number and > 2,000 miles also give 210 tier points in F. There may be a few of these.

E.g. Boise-Boston or Boise-Baltimore.

East to spot using the AA timetable pdf
Yes direct flights with stops, with 2000 miles between the ticketed points, still give 210 points provided only one boarding pass is issued. However if there is a change of gauge it might not apply, I would have to check.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:00 pm

Yes direct flights with stops, with 2000 miles between the ticketed points, still give 210 points provided only one boarding pass is issued. However if there is a change of gauge it might not apply, I would have to check.
They do - I've been able to get six 210 TP sectors in the USA using >2000 direct but not nonstop flights in the past on a DONEx, multiple times. You didn't need it to be one boarding pass either - they would issue it as two, but if they were the same flight number it would credit as one >2000 mile flight. Now that's far more difficult. It's not possible to get all six flights >2000 miles now.

Change of aircraft doesn't matter - as long as it's one flight number, it will credit as one segment.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Change of aircraft doesn't matter - as long as it's one flight number, it will credit as one segment.
Are you sure about this? I have heard differently from c-w-s, unless I am getting mixed up. Maybe that only applies to US.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:16 am

Are you sure about this? I have heard differently from c-w-s, unless I am getting mixed up. Maybe that only applies to US.
Yes, I'm sure. I've flown these flights fairly routinely on US Airways and American over the years, domestically. There might be a situation where you're talking about a flight with an international and domestic US leg - I haven't flown one of those. But most of the flights in the US that have multiple legs and one flight number are the same plane flying around all day on the same flight number. You just get credit for the distance from your origin and your destination, not each segment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.