Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of “Date/Time/Carrier” changes. Phrase now used is “changes to ticketed points”
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QR’s Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Is that your ticket? Recent? I don't see an issue date (year). Is it still possible to get paper tickets?? I've always preferred them; find them much easier to use.
No. Just an image I found online.

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Now I wonder - just what did Himeno get up to when had his mid-winter break from Novosibirsk in Bangkok back in '06?
her.

The last paper ticket I had was in 2008 when I'd booked a 16 sector LONE4 prior to QF canning NRT-MEL. I was rerouted via SYD creating a 17 sector trip and the e-ticket was reissued on paper. (of course that was later again reissued as a e-ticket midway through the trip due to the issues in BKK and being rerouted around it and the travel agent had said to keep the remaining paper coupons to return at the end. Of course, try explain that to BA at FCO and LHR...)

The only other paper ticket I've had since I started traveling on my own was a Oneworld Global Explorer ticket in 2006. I used JL for KIX-LHR when JL was on the xGLOBnn but before they joined oneworld and the xONEx. As JL had not completed ticketing links with all the carriers I was using, it was issued on paper.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I preferred paper tix, particularly on xONEx tix because it made changing carriers easier. You didn't have to go back to the issuing carrier to have anything "sent" electronically to the new carrier if you changed flights on the go, as you might (and I did from time to time) if the original carrier suffered an equipment delay or similar.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I booked a 20 segment DONE4 ex CMB with in 2005 and received 5 coupon books filled out by hand and stapled together.

When I made some date changes in 2006 I had to mail the remain coupons books back - in return I received a stapled wad on computer printed ATB2 stock for the remaining flights.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:33 am

I'm currently planning a DONE3 (ex-TYO). It would have been planned months ago, but the changes QF has been making (QF9/10 retiming, program adjustments, etc...) has caused some delays.

Last night, I was trying to change a date for the LHR-DXB-LHR part only to find that QF9/10 wasn't operating that day (which made a slight problem with having a QF10>QF1 connection )
Today, the oneworld downloaded timetable updated and I went back to the RTW planner.
It's now showing QF coded EK flights. (eg, QF8002)
Haven't checked if it's on more then the LHR-DXB flights.

bug, or upcoming rule change to allow QF coded EK like QF coded JQ?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
I booked a 20 segment DONE4 ex CMB with in 2005 and received 5 coupon books filled out by hand and stapled together.

When I made some date changes in 2006 I had to mail the remain coupons books back - in return I received a stapled wad on computer printed ATB2 stock for the remaining flights.
What happens now if you have a 16-segment RTW and one of the airlines stops flying one of the segments and you need 2 (or more) flights where it was previously 1?

Does someone give you a separate e-ticket? Do you get a paper ticket with 17 or 18 segments?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by creampuff
What happens now if you have a 16-segment RTW and one of the airlines stops flying one of the segments and you need 2 (or more) flights where it was previously 1?

Does someone give you a separate e-ticket? Do you get a paper ticket with 17 or 18 segments?
They will replace the segment with what is needed. For example I had SAN-JFK-BGI-JFK-HKG ticketed for travel this year but AA cancelled the JFK-BGI direct flights and automatically rebooked me to SAN-MIA-BGI-MIA-JFK-HKG. My 16 segment ticket became 17 segments. The problem is I didn't want those flights, but they couldn't change it since it was 17 segments. I needed to fly at least one segment to get it back to 16 before they could change it.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by creampuff

I'm on a DONE3 at the moment that was impacted by the withdrawal of a service. My booking was split into two separate itineraries with two separate ticket numbers.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
In good old days, there was ONE big difference.
XONEWCn didn't have the upper limit of the number of segments.
So, I planned 30+ segments DONEWC3 ex-Japan.
Wow - that's incredible - I can't stop thinking of all the possibilities had I known about this!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I have noticed that all the cities that are being added to the 1 transcon list within the USA are always more than 2000 miles. BA conspiracy? It does seem a bit silly, since one can only fly 1 round trip between city pairs. I could understand AA limiting travel on its 3-class service to 1.
I can understand why they did this - I had a DONE5 that succeeded in making 5 of the 6 intercontinental USA flights into flights > 2000 miles by pivoting around PHX and CLT. Unfortunately won't be able to book that again.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
New Version 1-Aug-2014

Nothing significant that I can spot.

The changes I have spotted are:
  • Under the heading "FARES" it now states "Refer GDS"; it used to state "Refer end of sheet" (and it had been some years since the fares were listed at the end of the sheet)
  • Some changes in Section 5 to the ticketing deadlines
  • Also in Section 5 a new sentence "OSI YY OW RTW to be inserted into PNR to avoid reservation cancellation." (anyone understand this?)
  • In 16(b)(1) there's now a 1000RUB cancellation fee on sales in Russia
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:26 am

I understand base fares have remained rather unchanged over the years? With some regions providing a better value than others?

Working on a post and wondering if anybody remember specific increases in their go-to XONEX?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
I understand base fares have remained rather unchanged over the years? With some regions providing a better value than others?

Working on a post and wondering if anybody remember specific increases in their go-to XONEX?
South Korea (ICN) used to be really cheap, but got rerated upwards. As did Sudan (KTM).
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by beardoc
South Korea (ICN) used to be really cheap, but got rerated upwards. As did Sudan (KTM).
KRT. KTM is Kathmandu, Nepal.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:37 pm

South Korea (ICN) used to be really cheap, but got rerated upwards.
When did that happen? South Korea was similar to Japan prices last time I looked.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Himeno
When did that happen? South Korea was similar to Japan prices last time I looked.
Current base fares from Sth Korea are unchanged from the fare list I have dated March-2012

Sudan, sadly, is a different matter. For example the DONE4 used to be SDG14700 (approx USD3300 at the then exchange rate) and now it is published in USD and is much, much higher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.