Transit Asia Rule

Old May 18, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold
Originally Posted by JayPee
I think you may fall foul of the continuous forward direction rule when you come to HKG-SYD-HKG-ICN.

I tried a year ago to get JFK-LHR-JNB-LHR before getting back to HKG and it was bombed on the grounds that I was re-entering an intermediate continent, notwithstanding the fact that at least one of the LHR transits was less than 24hrs.
Forgot to add that I sympathise with you as it is unbelievablably irritating when you have a planned trip validated by the Oneworld tool only to find it may not meet the "hidden" rules that the member airlines tend to hide behind.

I had a similar experience when I was told that the QF SYD-JFK flight via LAX while still only one coupon was regarded as a flight from LAX-JFK for the purposes of "Only 1 transcontinental flight in US" rule, which then meant I could not do JFK-YVR.

This was validated by the booking tool but when I asked agent to book, CX refused to issue.

Yet another example of Oneworld having one set of rules for public consumption and another set that the airlines, apply contradictory to what we read.

Last edited by JayPee; May 18, 2009 at 7:09 am Reason: Crap spelling
Old May 18, 2009, 8:16 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by JayPee
I think you may fall foul of the continuous forward direction rule when you come to HKG-SYD-HKG-ICN.

I tried a year ago to get JFK-LHR-JNB-LHR before getting back to HKG and it was bombed on the grounds that I was re-entering an intermediate continent, notwithstanding the fact that at least one of the LHR transits was less than 24hrs.
No, it was bombed because JNB is not included on the list of African cul-de-sac cities to/from which a second entry to Europe is permitted. It's been in the rules for a long time.
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except
as follows:...3. For travel to/from or via Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania two permitted in Europe when one is a transfer without stopover between Ghana/Nigeria/Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania and
another continent.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA DL
transit w/o stopover between NA and SWP

Just to bump this thread- has anyone successfully ticketed an xONEx with a "transit w/o stopover" between NA and SWP.

I am trying to book a DONE4 that is (bare bones)"

NRT-LHR-BOS-xHKG-SYD-NRT

The tool will not let me get to the "choose flights" page. I run afoul of the rule 4(e):

4(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
1. Two permitted in North America when one is a transfer without stopover.
2. Two permitted in Asia when one is a transfer without stopover or on direct single plane service between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
3. Special provisions for travel which includes Africa....

Yet if I try to book the following (suggested by pandaperth earlier in this thread):
ICN-HKG-LHR-JFK-xHKG-AKL-HKG-ICN

then the on-line tool let's me choose flights and proceed to the booking page.

I understand why my itin violates rule 4(e), but not why the latter itin is accepted by the on-line tool. Are they different in some important way that I do not understand?

One possibility is that it won't allow me to ticket the second itinerary even though it prices it.\\Any insight into the puzzle is appreciated.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had a this route in 2012-2013:

HEL-LHR-AUH-LHR-SIN-HKG-HND-HKG-SYD-AKL-SYD-HKG-JFK-MCO-DFW-LHR-HEL

HKG between SYD and JFK was obviously a transit. It was AONE4 booked 2012 and flew 2013. If I remember correctly I got this booked with online tool.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Wingzing I just plugged your barebones itinerary into the tool and was able to select all flights and price it up (came to just under 900,00JPY)

After I had put all the cities in, the tool was warning me that the second visit to Asia had to be under 24hrs. Once I selected the flights into and out of HKG, that warning went away.

So perhaps there is something else in your full itinerary that is causing the problem?

Ps Your itinerary does NOT violate rule 4(e)
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: AA PPro
Last year I had JNB-LHR-LAX-xNRT-SYD-SIN-DOH-JNB priced up via the AA RTW desk (there were more segments but those are the relevant ones). IIRC it took insisting it go to for pricing.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA DL
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Wingzing I just plugged your barebones itinerary into the tool and was able to select all flights and price it up (came to just under 900,00JPY)

After I had put all the cities in, the tool was warning me that the second visit to Asia had to be under 24hrs. Once I selected the flights into and out of HKG, that warning went away.

So perhaps there is something else in your full itinerary that is causing the problem?

Ps Your itinerary does NOT violate rule 4(e)
Many thanks! I also plugged the itinerary into the tool and, as you found, it now works! Perhaps the tool was having a bad day when I tried earlier.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by wingzing
Many thanks! I also plugged the itinerary into the tool and, as you found, it now works! Perhaps the tool was having a bad day when I tried earlier.
The tool does have its bad hair days from time to time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.