Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Tax info from AA Australia

Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all the advice on this forum I have finally booked a LONE4. It was all set up via the ATW Desk in Dallas and sent to AA in Brisbane for ticketing. It was a bit of a struggle trying to get them to actually ticket it and accept payment and they said it all had to be processed manually....

Itinery is syd-jnb-lvi-jnb-mad-amm-dxb-lhr-yvr-mex-mia-bgi-jfk-lax-syd

Taxes for this one worked out at $852AUD but doing a dummy booking online with mel-syd on AA codeshare as the first flight spits out taxes around $150 less even with the extra mel-syd flight.

I called AA in Brisbane to email me through details of the tax breakdown to verify but they couldn't do it.

Anyone had issues getting a breakdown of taxes from AA in Australia and if so should I just go back through the ATW desk for this info?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:41 am

Location: SYD, YYZ, Southwest UK, a beach somewhere in the world
Programs: AC Prestige, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
I've been able to get the detailed tax breakdown when you use the OW planner once you get to the payment page. Try putting your itinerary through the booking tool and see what the breakdown is.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:58 am
Original Poster

I have already put my booking through the OWplanner and the taxes were approx $150 lower than I have been charged by AA.

My booking was priced by AA (in Dublin AFAIK) last week and currency fluctuations for various non AUD charges will vary slightly but not by $150.

What I'm looking for advice on is if AA usually give a full breakdown of taxes when they confirm your ticketing and issue your receipt. The office in Brisbane can't seem to do it.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:08 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I have never gotten a detailed tax breakdown from AA in the past. Having said this, in my experience taxes are always an issue with any airline. When I don't like the taxes I often just call again and the figure I get then might be very different to the one I had 5 minutes ago.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:27 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I have never gotten a detailed tax breakdown from AA in the past. Having said this, in my experience taxes are always an issue with any airline. When I don't like the taxes I often just call again and the figure I get then might be very different to the one I had 5 minutes ago.
Not too long ago I did a paper-to-e-ticket reissue, which necessitated that AA "migrate" the tax info (for all 20 segs, even those used) into the e-ticket. The person at the Rates desk (who conferenced me into the call with the ticket agent at the SEA ATO - don't ask) said that the computer field(s) on the AA screens used to load the tax/surcharge data into the ticket were not big enough to hold all the notations, hence it was necessary in some cases to "collapse" some tax/surcharge fees into subtotals, which makes reconstruction later much more difficult. When they printed out the PNR (which was by this time 300 lines long or something equally idiotic) the "new" tax tables contained abbreviations that neither I nor the agent could decipher. We both wrote it off to the vagaries of life. Insha'Allah.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
When I bought my LONE4 last year, AA Brisbane offered to send me the tax breakdown - I received it as a fax (!) about 10 minutes later
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Put you info in http://www.lan.com/cgi-bin/recibo_et...bo_eticket.cgi
Sometimes it will show the tax breakdown
Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:17 pm

I used to use this site to work out taxes.

Alas it won't work any more.

Does anyone have a site that will help with taxes (both airport and airline)?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Our paper LHONE4 tickets last year were issued by AA in Oz and came with a copy of the tax breakdown pasted (!) to the back of each coupon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.