Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
FireFly is not - while described as full service, it operates separately, and indeed was more LCC when running the 737s

MasWings is

Jetconnect (Qantas NZ base) and QantasLink are

JLs subs J-Air and JTA are afaik

BAs Comair is (albeit not IAG owned)

The LCCs Jetstar (QF), Jetstar Asia (QF), Jetstar Japan (QF/JL), Jetstar Pacific (QF), Vuelig (BA/IB) are not
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:14 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by moa999
FireFly is not - while described as full service, it operates separately, and indeed was more LCC when running the 737s

MasWings is

Jetconnect (Qantas NZ base) and QantasLink are

JLs subs J-Air and JTA are afaik

BAs Comair is (albeit not IAG owned)

The LCCs Jetstar (QF), Jetstar Asia (QF), Jetstar Japan (QF/JL), Jetstar Pacific (QF), Vuelig (BA/IB) are not
Flights on MASwings used to earn miles but this is no longer the case when crediting to AA and BA. (And probably many other OW airlines)

From AA.com:
Flights operated by Firefly and MAS wings are excluded from all frequent flyer program terms.
MASwings is also no longer listed on oneworld.com
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Mhmmmm, how come PR isn't in an alliance? They wouldn't bring much to OW that CX doesn't offer but still surprising they're nowhere.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Sure they would. The Philippines is a fairly large country (102 million) and if nothing else, they would add a large FF base and growth market for OW.
(Plus, OW is just small in Asia compared to others so it'd be nice to have some siz ein the Region)
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by AJones2000
Sure they would. The Philippines is a fairly large country (102 million) and if nothing else, they would add a large FF base and growth market for OW.
(Plus, OW is just small in Asia compared to others so it'd be nice to have some siz ein the Region)
Plus they'd add another 5th freedom NA route!

(the second 5th freedom YVR-JFK round-trip after CX YVR-JFK, coincidentally)

there's only 3 non-stop round-trips YVR-NYC (AC to EWR, CX and PR to JFK) so I'm all for it.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
And at LHR, they're transferring ops to T3 on October 19th!! They currently codeshare with EY, CX, GF, MH and TK.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Mhmmmm, how come PR isn't in an alliance?
Cost, probably. Membership is not free.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Cost, probably. Membership is not free.
I always forget that. Is it a publicly available #?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
In addition the Tatas & SQ are planning a full service airline in India.

I am not sure if 1W would like AI as much as the reverse.
So now that Vistara (UK) is up and running, would SQ let UK join oneworld? Does SQ have a say with less than half ownership? SQ (they own 49% of UK) is in Star, but so is AI. 9W may join Sky, which would leave oneworld as the only alliance without an Indian airline. UK looks like a perfect fit.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
So now that Vistara (UK) is up and running, would SQ let UK join oneworld? Does SQ have a say with less than half ownership? SQ (they own 49% of UK) is in Star, but so is AI. 9W may join Sky, which would leave oneworld as the only alliance without an Indian airline. UK looks like a perfect fit.
'Would SQ let UK join' is a legitimate question indeed. Personally I think it is possible either way or even not putting Vistara in an alliance - like how Silkair has been.

Though I don't think UK is at the size that would adequately serve OW needs or even need alliance memberships to be discussed yet. Also, if Interjet joins oneworld somehow like some persistent rumours insist, I bet there's a greater chance for IndiGo to join than Vistara.

But who knows? It's hard to predict anything at all. No one would have expected China Eastern and China Southern to be bedfellows in Skyteam for example.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:50 am

Alsoi, from what I've heard, UK isn't doing so hot (very premium-heavy a/c)
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
'Would SQ let UK join' is a legitimate question indeed. Personally I think it is possible either way or even not putting Vistara in an alliance - like how Silkair has been.

Though I don't think UK is at the size that would adequately serve OW needs or even need alliance memberships to be discussed yet. Also, if Interjet joins oneworld somehow like some persistent rumours insist, I bet there's a greater chance for IndiGo to join than Vistara.

But who knows? It's hard to predict anything at all. No one would have expected China Eastern and China Southern to be bedfellows in Skyteam for example.
I think that OW should consider pursuing UK now, even though this is a nascent airline. UK has some exceptional qualities that may not available with other airlines in the future.

UK is owned by Tata Sons Limited (51%) and Singapore Airlines (49%.) As an outsider looking in, that's high quality ownership. Ownership that's well capitalized and looking at the long run. Not IT.

UK seems to have 5-star aspirations. Well run 5-star airlines are rare. They're not there yet, but I wouldn't bet against them. A 5-star airline in the second most populous nation where OW has no member airline? Yes, please.

OW can help UK grow now by helping to feed it traffic. Seems like a win-win to me.

Originally Posted by AJones2000
Also, from what I've heard, UK isn't doing so hot (very premium-heavy a/c)
I've read that UK was too premium heavy, but that they adjusted:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/50329064.cms

Not sure if they're still too premium heavy.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I think that OW should consider pursuing UK now, even though this is a nascent airline. UK has some exceptional qualities that may not available with other airlines in the future.

UK is owned by Tata Sons Limited (51%) and Singapore Airlines (49%.) As an outsider looking in, that's high quality ownership. Ownership that's well capitalized and looking at the long run. Not IT.

UK seems to have 5-star aspirations. Well run 5-star airlines are rare. They're not there yet, but I wouldn't bet against them. A 5-star airline in the second most populous nation where OW has no member airline? Yes, please.

OW can help UK grow now by helping to feed it traffic. Seems like a win-win to me.

I've read that UK was too premium heavy, but that they adjusted:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/50329064.cms

Not sure if they're still too premium heavy.
As someone who has bias in choosing SIA and OW when possible, UK in OW is a pipe dream for me.

I don't think it's a given that UK will be shoehorned into *A even with SIA inside. MI isn't, and SIA is known to be picky with their friends even in *A. I would dare say UK in OW is a logical move for the management in the long run as Vistara grows, both to counter the badly run Air India in *A as well as taking away passengers to an alliance with although less members but less competition as well yet have the feed and market to push continuing short haul. That would be a winner for profits and SIA + Tata probably will not give up a money making opportunity if it ever arises.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Just hear that some news from Chengdu..... Sichuan airlines will go Skyteam.... again ..... where's OW carrier in Mainland China.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:49 am

One of the big problems for OW in China is that most are partially owned by either ChinaSouthern, ChinaEastern, or Air China. Doesn't give a lot of potential when the only leftover carrier is HU, who owns a carrier that directly competes with CX/Dragon. Your Sichuan example is owned 40% by Southern, 10% by an AirChina subsidiary (Shandong) and 10% by Shanghai, a MU subsidiary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.