Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
We dont have a specific timeline. Were working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Old Dec 26, 2015, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
CX has no rights to operate from PVG to anywhere other than HKG.
Gotcha
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by CXBA
  • BA, AA and probably QR are pushing for a Chinese member to join, and given CX unwillingness to help and hostility to the whole issue are finally involving their governments to negotiate with the chinese
Is CX unwilling to let any mainland Chinese airline in, or just HU?

• MU accession to ST is widely believed to have been forced personally by Li Shaoyong. The recent emphasis on fighting corruption by the current Chinese leadership may show this as a dangerous gamble rather than a successful idea, so it is entirely possible that MU management is trying to distance itself from a potentially tainted individual
Liu Shaoyong is still the chairman of MU. Will he need to resign before a switch to OW is feasible?

• CZ and MU will not remain in the same alliance for long. ST has a very little saying on the matter and it will either have to accept the Chinese government decision or aggressively renegotiate terms and conditions. Also a defection from either CZ or MU may induce other members outside China to switch sides as well (VN? KE?)
Why would CZ or MU leaving SkyTeam prompt VN or KE to also leave?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:14 pm

2016 oneworld predictions

I hope that everyone had an excellent 2015, and that 2016 will be even better!

In the spirit of arbitrary end points, and a little bit of fun, what are your oneworld predictions for 2016?

Here are mine:

What additions will be announced in 2016?
  • EI seems obvious. I'll be shocked if no such announcement is made.
  • I believe that RAM will (finally) also be announced.
  • If LO makes a last minute announcement that they're leaving *A, then that's #3. My guess is that if LO does defect, it will be after a deal was already negotiated to include LO in OW JVs. In all likelihood, nothing happens, and they remain in *A.
  • My longshot call is for J2 to announce that they're joining. This is one of the few 4-star (by Skytrax) airlines that is independent. The only OW member with whom they codeshare is QR, which is also the only ME3 airline that serves J2's hub at GYD in Baku. In addition to QR, BA and S7 have a presence there. J2 flies, or will soon do so, to some OW hubs: DME, JFK, LHR, and TXL. J2 is more of a "nice to have" addition than a "must have." Another 4-star airline that's not redundant? Yes, please.

What defections will be announced in 2016?
  • My crystal ball doesn't show me any defections by an airline, unless one becomes insolvent.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: LH/*A Gold, BA/OW Emerald, EK Silver, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I think EI is obvious, but maybe BA keeps them out of OW and operate it as a low cost player (like Vueling).
I think RAM will join.
There were also rumours about Air Tahiti and Interjet. Both would make sense.

Not sure what will happen with Air Berlin. It all depends upon Etihad's stategy after a court ruled that they have to stop some of the codeshare flights to/from Germany.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Originally Posted by hoteltraum
I think EI is obvious, but maybe BA keeps them out of OW and operate it as a low cost player (like Vueling).
I think RAM will join.
There were also rumours about Air Tahiti and Interjet. Both would make sense.

Not sure what will happen with Air Berlin. It all depends upon Etihad's stategy after a court ruled that they have to stop some of the codeshare flights to/from Germany.
Guess... If Etihad can't do any more with airberlin. Sure AB will back to BA and join their transatlantic JV.

I'm waiting RAM, Interjet to join ow in 2016. But hope Indian and chinese carrier can be part of ow too.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoteltraum
IAG, which is the new owner of EI, has already said to their shareholders that EI will be joining oneworld. (IAG owns BA, IB, VY and now EI.)

The intention of the purchase is that DUB will be a major transatlantic hub in future like LHR or MAD.

I will try to find the presentation where this was discussed.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: CX,HX,DL,UA
I don't think J2 is anywhere a candidate and I don't understand why Skytrax gave it a 4-star after my recent flights on J-class. Seats are just angle flat for B767 and even within the same cabin, I find over 1/3 of the seats recline less than the others. FA distributed meals randomly without asking my choice, though if you asked, they would serve your request. Amenity kit is minimal. Heard B787 has better seatings, but now they call it First Class, and the PEY has become J-class with better food and J-class service. However, given the price they charged, I am more than happy to fly them again.

I agree with prior post that certain point of time down the road, MU may be out of ST given all the senior official/management changes in China recently. However, this may not be the top priority.

By the way, I recently received email from DL, promoting its deeper partnership with MU. DL members can now earn higher tier points when flying MU
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:07 pm

My personal list who i would love to see in oneworld:
1. Aer Lingus
2. Royal Air Maroc
3. Air Tahiti Nui

Hopefully this 3 airlines listed above will join soon.

4. Air Transat
5. Interjet
6. Air Seychelles
7. Bangkok Airways
8. Philippine Airlines
9. Hawaiian Airlines

A few airlines who would fit in oneworld and covering countries like Canada, Thailand or Mexico.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by venom6
1. Aer Lingus
2. Royal Air Maroc
3. Air Tahiti Nui

4. Air Transat
5. Interjet
6. Air Seychelles
7. Bangkok Airways
8. Philippine Airlines
9. Hawaiian Airlines

A few airlines who would fit in oneworld and covering countries like Canada, Thailand or Mexico.
I don't think TS joined the OW. They had no FF programs. Sorry Guys.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by venom6
1. Aer Lingus
2. Royal Air Maroc
3. Air Tahiti Nui

4. Air Transat
5. Interjet
6. Air Seychelles
7. Bangkok Airways
8. Philippine Airlines
9. Hawaiian Airlines

I don't see an airline that is on the EU 2111/2005 Annex A (airlines banned from EU airspace) or FAA Category 2 nations from joining while they are on those lists.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Himeno
I don't see an airline that is on the EU 2111/2005 Annex A (airlines banned from EU airspace) or FAA Category 2 nations from joining while they are on those lists.
Actually, it was Philippines Airlines that they banned from EU airspace back in March 2010. Due to safety concerns.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:29 pm

4O will start flying to DFW, which is an AA fortress hub:

Mexican airline Interjet will begin flying between Mexico City and Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport early next month.

Interjet plans to offer two flights a day, except Saturdays, between these destinations. Tickets are already available for the flights, which start March 3.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ico-city.html/

4O just looks aligned for oneworld. As if they'll join in the next year. So we should get the announcement in 2028.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: LH/*A Gold, BA/OW Emerald, EK Silver, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Who will be the next oneworld member? [merged]

Is there any update on when EI is joining (if at all)? Thank you!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Nope! Timeframe hasn't been announced. IAG (BA/IB) do intend for EI to join.

Check https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews for announcement as and when it's made.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
4O will start flying to DFW, which is an AA fortress hub:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ico-city.html/

4O just looks aligned for oneworld. As if they'll join in the next year. So we should get the announcement in 2028.
Interjet is a LCC, but their services are pretty decent.

20% discount for senior citizens (register age at booking)

Up to three 25 kg / 55 lb checked bags free (N.B. 10 kg / 22 lb carry on allowance), minimum 25 kg with iFare

No cost seat selection

Extended seat pitch, 34" throughout cabin
179 passenger capacity Airbus A320 restricted to 150 seats

103 passenger capacity Sukhoi Superjet 100 restricted to 93 seats
Their "JetBook" programme allows one to purchase five, ten or 15 tickets between certain city pairs at discount, with no charges for changes nor restrictions on who can use them (are not restricted to buyer). E.g. My sister purchases ten return MEX<->SAT trips for USD $3,890, unrestricted and changeable.

"Club interjet" FFP.

AA is probably eager to have a oneworld partner to replace the "dormant" Mexicana and Mexicana Click, and Interjet is adding local and international routings.

Personally, I'm hoping EI assimilates soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.