Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I'm holding my breath for a C919
Ha! I'm happy to let others volunteer for the first year or two worth of (commercial) flights of new jets (regardless of who makes them)...
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Or perhaps OW should start actively poaching ST and *A members.
That's an interesting point because LO has been quietly mooting leaving Star Alliance ever since LH blocked its proposed codeshare arrangement with NH on WAW-NRT.

Unlike in oneworld the other participants in Star have the ability to interfere in proposed codeshares between members [and the NH-LH JV gives the participants absolute right to veto codeshares on the Europe-Asia market]. LH was concerned that the codesharing would bring LO into competition with it on its routes to Asia.

Meanwhile LO is excluded from the transatlantic JV with UA as well. Yet LO is looking at doubling its size by 2020 and sees itself as the potential market leader for eastern Europe.

Now, because of a recent rule change at Star, LO has until the end of this year to leave Star Alliance without paying a hefty exit fee.

Meanwhile of course oneworld is still missing a partner in east/central Europe, since the loss of MA, and there are people in LO who think that IAG could be a useful investor. Personally I think that is wishful thinking (IAG takes over, it doesn't passively invest) but I am no expert.

On the other hand, of course LO did host this year's Star Alliance meeting, so maybe things are warmer than they appear.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
LO would be an awesome add if that's actually an option ^
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by scnzzz
LO would be an awesome add if that's actually an option ^
I agree, LO would help plug a gaping hole in the European presence, at least for regional options. They're going the right direction with their fleet renewal, albeit with limited but growing presence in the Americas (ORD, JFK, YYZ) and Asia (PEK, NRT on Jan 13). They can't be happy to be in *A right now; hosting may have just been their attempt to gain more clout, not to be buddy-buddy with LH et al.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
That's an interesting point because LO has been quietly mooting leaving Star Alliance ever since LH blocked its proposed codeshare arrangement with NH on WAW-NRT.

Unlike in oneworld the other participants in Star have the ability to interfere in proposed codeshares between members [and the NH-LH JV gives the participants absolute right to veto codeshares on the Europe-Asia market]. LH was concerned that the codesharing would bring LO into competition with it on its routes to Asia.

Meanwhile LO is excluded from the transatlantic JV with UA as well. Yet LO is looking at doubling its size by 2020 and sees itself as the potential market leader for eastern Europe.

Now, because of a recent rule change at Star, LO has until the end of this year to leave Star Alliance without paying a hefty exit fee.

Meanwhile of course oneworld is still missing a partner in east/central Europe, since the loss of MA, and there are people in LO who think that IAG could be a useful investor. Personally I think that is wishful thinking (IAG takes over, it doesn't passively invest) but I am no expert.

On the other hand, of course LO did host this year's Star Alliance meeting, so maybe things are warmer than they appear.
I found an interesting article about just this here:
http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...--tokyo-231439
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:46 pm

RwandAir (WB)

I was reading this article about WB, and they seem like a possible fit for OW. Are they sufficiently developed where, with a new investor, WB in OW makes sense?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I was reading this article about WB, and they seem like a possible fit for OW. Are they sufficiently developed where, with a new investor, WB in OW makes sense?
Seriously?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA (G), SK (S), KL
Wink Emirates Getting Cosy With another oneworld airline!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/malaysia...lan-1449079699

If only they joined instead of QR , but I'm glad OW has at least one ME3
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No

It's true that oneworld is in need of another African partner. But I doubt either side would profit from entry at this stage.

At present only QR flies to KGL (via EBB) and I don't think there is much demand for anyone else.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by joey_12

oneworld has RJ and QR. No reason on the OW side they couldn't have EK as well (other then EK stating they don't want to be in any alliance). Skyteam has most of the mainland Chinese carriers...
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by joey_12

Wonder why MH did not go with QR.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
No

It's true that oneworld is in need of another African partner. But I doubt either side would profit from entry at this stage.

At present only QR flies to KGL (via EBB) and I don't think there is much demand for anyone else.
That makes sense.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Wonder why MH did not go with QR.
I was wondering the same thing. My first thought was perhaps EK would buy MH's 380s, but the article gave no indication of that.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was wondering the same thing. My first thought was perhaps EK would buy MH's 380s, but the article gave no indication of that.
EK has a bigger network with more optimal timing from their European flights for connections to South East Asia. 91 EK destinations are included in the codeshare arrangement with MH, QR cannot compete with that.

EK has nearly twice the number of weekly seats on Gulf to Kuala Lumpur compared to QR.

If MH wants to offload some A380s I am sure a buyer could be found.

Here is an in depth analysis of the partnership and MH's future. http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...c-bases-256263

Last edited by Calchas; Dec 5, 2015 at 4:21 pm
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

The chief of IAG (BA) did publicly invite the CEO of EK to join Oneworld but the Sheik running EK turned him down flat.

EK will eventually need to partner up with one of the big 3 US carriers (AS just doesn't cut it) I think or else they will face increasing political hurdles in their expansion into the U.S.

Who knows, maybe EK will change their mind in the next few years, these kind of things and alliances are always in a state of flux.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.