Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:15 am
Suspended

Bangkok Airways has priority I think

Personally I think Bangkok Airways has a better chance than Alaska being the next member elect.

Bangkok Airways now have codeshares or FFP links with following oneworld members:

Airberlin, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, JAL, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar and Qantas

Pretty much a member elect candidate!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Originally Posted by chongcao
Personally I think Bangkok Airways has a better chance than Alaska being the next member elect.

Bangkok Airways now have codeshares or FFP links with following oneworld members:

Airberlin, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, JAL, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar and Qantas

Pretty much a member elect candidate!
Personally i love to see PG & AS into oneworld family! but i dont think PG can pay such high fee into oneworld. btw, how about PR? they said that would like to join OW this year....
Old Mar 15, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Thai Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by Xero
Sri Lankan is hardly a place to connect to get into India and does not make India more accessible. It is south of India so it will involve backtracking to get into India unless you are coming from Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia or Singapore. Also, Sri Lanka's airport is more structured for O&D than connections. Like the USA you need to collect your bags, clear immigration and customs then turn around and re-clear security for your flight.

Also, OW doesn't "need" a Chinese nor an Indian airline unless it is for domestic flights. CX and KA do an extensive job covering all the major and secondary Chinese cities.
Sorry for responding few months after your posting but you DON'T need to clear CIQ and collect your bags in Colombo during a transit; unless it is more than 24 hours.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lokron1125
Personally i love to see PG & AS into oneworld family! but i dont think PG can pay such high fee into oneworld. btw, how about PR? they said that would like to join OW this year....
Isn't PG part of the Etihad family...which would make it unable to join any alliance? And I don't see CX allowing PR to join unless they are moving over to Star Alliance.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Isn't PG part of the Etihad family...which would make it unable to join any alliance? And I don't see CX allowing PR to join unless they are moving over to Star Alliance.
EY and PG have FF partnership and code-share, but I think nothing more. EY has such relationships with many airlines that are in different alliances, and one of which (GA) recently joined ST. EY also holds large shares of AB, which is in OW. CX and PR have some cooperation in place, so whether or not CX would allow PR to join OW depends on how much PR is willing to give to CX.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

CX doesn't want competition.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:48 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Long shot : AZ to join OW

Long shot:
If Etihad will indeed take a share in AZ and does want AZ to cooperate closely with AB this may lead to AZ joining OW.

Rather:
Etihad will just extend his own alliance and create new codeshare agreements between all the airlines it already has shares in.

OW would however benefit from another partner in Europe. Off couse, Etihad doesn't mind if this would be to the benefit of OW or not.
I'm even afraid that AB may quit OW at a certain point if Etihad increases it's grip on this airline even further.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Long shot:
If Etihad will indeed take a share in AZ and does want AZ to cooperate closely with AB this may lead to AZ joining OW.

Rather:
Etihad will just extend his own alliance and create new codeshare agreements between all the airlines it already has shares in.

OW would however benefit from another partner in Europe. Off couse, Etihad doesn't mind if this would be to the benefit of OW or not.
I'm even afraid that AB may quit OW at a certain point if Etihad increases it's grip on this airline even further.
As long as QR is in 1W, I don't think this will happen.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Even if I would be delighted to see AZ joining oneworld, I highly doubt it can happen. AF still has a share in the company, furthermore they're in the North Atlantic JV with Delta. EY is not part of any alliance but it has some codeshares with Skyteam members (AF either). I don't think things will change in the short period but in the long term I think it's more likely to see airberlin exiting oneworld rather than AZ joining.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:02 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Long shot:

Rather:

I'm under the impression that if Etihad does get a stake in AZ, AB might be forced to leave OW and join ST. That scenario looks more likely.

There aren't that many European partners left. The big blunder was letting LX go to Star Alliance. Would of been a nice alternative to LHR.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
Rumor about a new member (possibly Volaris) joining OneWorld?

Went to a talk on consulting today in my school. Someone mentioned he did a case last year about "Mexican's second largest airline carrier joining One World".
Did some very quick search, Volaris seems to match this description. Another possibility might be interjet but I doubt it... it does not have so many routes between Mexico and US.
Have anyone heard about similar stuff?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by mrsmsr
Went to a talk on consulting today in my school. Someone mentioned he did a case last year about "Mexican's second largest airline carrier joining One World".
Did some very quick search, Volaris seems to match this description. Another possibility might be interjet but I doubt it... it does not have so many routes between Mexico and US.
Have anyone heard about similar stuff?
oneworld already has a Mexican carrier.
http://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/mexicana
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by skunker
oneworld already has a Mexican carrier.
http://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/mexicana
Mexicana has been an inactive member of oneworld® since it suspended all operations in late August 2010

Volaris would be an interesting addition. We have never flown them, heard mixed things, CHEAP peak fares within Mexico - might get us to reconsider starting trips to CUN, CZM, SJD out of TIJ
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Not terribly pleased with the prospect of an(other) LCC joining OW - you get what you pay for. As an example, AB provides connectivity - and that's about it IMO. Yes, they have a front cabin on their widebody aircraft and lounges here and there. But those are not up to par with the main OW carriers. Disappointing if true. More isn't necessarily better (see SkyTeam)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Not terribly pleased with the prospect of an(other) LCC joining OW - you get what you pay for. As an example, AB provides connectivity - and that's about it IMO. Yes, they have a front cabin on their widebody aircraft and lounges here and there. But those are not up to par with the main OW carriers. Disappointing if true. More isn't necessarily better (see SkyTeam)
Agreed. I've flown AB. It's fine over the pond but rather not nice in Europe. The lounge in TXL looks like a budget IKEA set-up and offers little. Intra-Europe flights offer nothing special and no F cabin.

ST has also scraped bottom with some of their carriers. I think it's fine to have them there is you need the connectivity ad it helps fill out the route network but I tend to avoid them when possible.

As for Volaris, they have developed a tight relationship with WN so I'd be surprised if they walked away from that.

And...as an FYI, Interjet is the largest domestic carrier inside Mexico. Interestingly, AeroMexico ranked fourth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.