Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Talking Flybe Anyone?

Well now that BA has sadly/unsuprisingly pulled out of NQY (Again....)

Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:52 pm

I wish Air pacific or air NZ would join
there is a big hole in the south pacific now
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:21 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by C-man
there is a big hole in the south pacific now
oneworld already has the best coverage in south pacific.
Of course, though, I wish that they'd join, too!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:42 am

Programs: QFF
Would be nice if JQ would join. I don't understand why they aren't already, being a QF subsidiary and all...
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by brahms77
There is no doubt that SQ is a top class airline, but having an attitude does not benefit the team play.
The same issue never appears to have bothered BA, even though, comparatively, it doesn't have the same hard product to boast about. When it comes to arrogance, Brits and the Singaporeans (at least the state) are good bedfellows
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
At least we all know candidates not to pick!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5651516.ece

Cheers

Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:13 am

Programs: AA-1MM
Air NZ would be a great addition, but unlikely...looks like I will have to fly to Australia to burn for a South Pacific holiday from NZ....
Old Feb 5, 2009, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
two are the most meaningful members to get into:
- Jet Airways (+ Kingfisher);
- Malaysian
plus maybe Vietnam Airlines.
the rest can be let to be easy fodder for the two others evil empires
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
I'd love to see an African airline join. ET would be ideal but since it looks like its going to Star we may be stuck with waiting for Arik to expand or to poach ET. And an Indian airline like Jet would be a great addition.

But thinking a little closer to home what do folks think about Oneworld going after Porter (PD)? Its a top quality airline and is growing. Or does the cozying up between WestJet and AA/BA/CX nix any thought of Porter?

Porter has a great hub at YTZ and already fly to Boston, Chicago and NYC. Granted they would likely have to move from MDW to ORD. And it would be tough for them to move into LGA but AA has 12 nonstops weekdays LGA-YYZ and three JFK-YYZ. So in theory AA and PD could work out a deal. With AC threatening to pry its way into YTZ PD might welcome an alliance with AA/OW.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Anyone heard anything more about any potential Chinese partners? That big gap is a real concern!
Africa - seems Arik is the most viable. With them starting JFK service to compliment LHR and JNB that would at last allow a direct Africa - North America link. And from all the accounts I have heard, their quality is up there with the best in Africa.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver; AF-KLM Silver; SPG Plat; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by bennytma
I'd love to see an African airline join. ET would be ideal but since it looks like its going to Star we may be stuck with waiting for Arik to expand or to poach ET. And an Indian airline like Jet would be a great addition.

But thinking a little closer to home what do folks think about Oneworld going after Porter (PD)? Its a top quality airline and is growing. Or does the cozying up between WestJet and AA/BA/CX nix any thought of Porter?

Porter has a great hub at YTZ and already fly to Boston, Chicago and NYC. Granted they would likely have to move from MDW to ORD. And it would be tough for them to move into LGA but AA has 12 nonstops weekdays LGA-YYZ and three JFK-YYZ. So in theory AA and PD could work out a deal. With AC threatening to pry its way into YTZ PD might welcome an alliance with AA/OW.
WRT to Porter and Oneworld, Porter is, at their YTZ hub, constructing a new terminal building which is scheduled to open soon (2010 sometime) and, supposedly, will house US Immigration pre-clearance facilities. This will allow PD to fly to DCA and, perhaps, LGA. (There was some hint in the Toronto newspapers that PD would be announcing a 2nd NYC destination - they currently fly to EWR).

Meanwhile Westjest has, in the past few months, hinted that they might - someday - be interested in acquiring PD. (Sorry, I don't have the links for these articles handy).

A combined Westjet-Porter would be well positioned to join either OW or ST.

Also, I don't think Porter, in OW, would necessarily have to switch from MDW to ORD. YYZ-ORD is already well served by AA. YTZ-MDW provides more choice for the downtown Toronto passengers. Perhaps, though, WRT to operations at Boston, if AA continues to cut back at that airport, they might pull BOS-YYZ (the only other current competition to AC) and instead codeshare with PD. Does anyone know how profitable AA's BOS-YYZ service is these days?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
The way its looking now, GOL is a serious possibility. They just signed a codeshare with IB which means BA wont be too far away. They already have a deal with AA, and somewhere I read that they're looking to work with MX.

In Africa, Arik is a good choice. However, I always worry about the bouts of violence in Nigeria. I'd prefer an airline based in Ghana(ACC). I would also look at TAAG. They're getting their act together and would provide a good Africa to S. America link.

OW also needs to double their efforts in getting WJ into the alliance now they're up and running on Sabre. AA isn't sponsoring anyone right now, so they have the resources.

In light of all that, I think AB (Air Berlin) should be OW's biggest priority as far as new partners. It would give OW the central continental partner they've been missing since the LX partnership.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
I would second Flybe. Flying 100+ sectors a year on Flybe it would be a very welcomed addition to a useful loyalty program. Also it would add a significant chunk of possibilities to oneworld in Europe.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: FB Plat, SA *S, RG Gold
Maybe Gol?

"Oneworld is looking to increase further its footprint in Latin America, particularly in Brazil, where Gol is among the potential membership candidates with which it is in discussions, ATWOnline learned last week as the alliance welcomed Mexicana in Mexico City. "Brazil is an important market for us, and Gol is obviously a significant player. They have made great strides in the past two years and, like in India and China, we keep channels open to everyone to review continually our options and their strategy," oneworld Managing Partner John McCulloch said.

He did not confirm the talks with Gol, but ATWOnline understands that discussions are "in an early stage" and that no announcement is imminent. Gol recently signed extensive bilaterals with oneworld members American Airlines and Iberia. LAN Airlines is oneworld's other Latin American member. Brazilian flag carrier TAM committed to Star Alliance last year (ATWOnline, Oct. 8, 2008), and SkyTeam Chairman Leo van Wijk confirmed in June that his alliance has talked with Gol as well (ATWOnline, May 26).

by Cathy Buyck"
Source: ATW
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by Metropolitan Airlines
How about 9W and IT in India?
9W has FF partner with OW members such as CX, AA & QF...
Seriously if OW got its act together and got one of the private airlines from India on board, they could fill a huge gap. AI will join *A but given how long that is going to take, if they jumped in on 9W or IT asap, they could even be operational Alliance members before AI actually startes offering * benefits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.