Wiki Posts
Search

CATHAY BIZ vs. AA first

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA + IHG
CATHAY BIZ vs. AA first

I fly from LAX to HKG a few times a year. The plane that AA flies non-stop is really quite nice these days. It is the 4 class 777 with pods in FIRST.
I have also flown CATHAY business quite a bit and it is a wonderful experience. Trying to decide between AA first and Cathay Biz class and I am just about 50/50. Would love to hear any opinions. Two biggest points for me are that the Cathay Wine and Food will be MUCH, MUCH better but the AA has a POD which is pretty darn private. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, cg4040
I am moving your thread to the One World Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:15 pm

My 2 cents: The AA F seat is more spacious than the CX Biz.Food and service on CX (despite the criticism about declining standards) is significantly better than AA.
If you had ask to compare both F products: CX is light-years ahead of AA.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Okay here is my take having flown CX and AA J recently plus AA F. I have never flown CX F but from what I have seen in the Cabin and know of the service I would put CX F in all probability ahead of AA F, which to me is more like a J+.

Going through:

Ground

On the ground in HKG it will be pretty much of a muchness, using lounges and so on, especially if top tier OWE. AA uses the Premium Plaza (a zoo) if I recall correctly whereas CX naturally has their own, exceptionally good lounges in HKG. Plus there is the excellent QF lounge as well.

In the Air

I don't think CX's food J is really that much better than AA's, and for me I prefer the AA selection. I find the wines are really a matter of taste and CX do change theirs, but the AA whites in F I find really good. AA does have their ice cream sundaes though!

The seat in J is exactly the same so thats a wash. The AA seat in F is definitely better, but really only because of the additional space, and it is nice and private.

IFE on CX is streets ahead of AA in terms of quality, quantity, diversity, choice and system.

Service is a matter of taste. CX will treat their elites and OW elites exceptionally well, though for non-elites seems hit and miss, but overall the crews are really good.

But I do like the AA service, when the crew is engaged they really can make the flight go well, especially on HK routes. I have found the AA crews to be very charming.

If you are getting AA F for the cost of CX J, then personally I would just edge the AA, whereas if a straight choice between AA J and CX J for me its about convenience.

CX's one big advantage is frequency.

But if you are doing the journey several times a year why not try all the different permutations yourself.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:14 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Also FF earn on F vs J is more, and this is FT after all. I haven't flown CX J in part 2 years (only fly F on CX), so surprised to hear OP define CX J food/wine as much better than AA F, would expect about the same quality given all the moaning about how much CX has declined (and their F catering has certainly dropped, from stellar to quite good, but no longer better than EK F for example). So CX J being that good is a pleasant surprise.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Presumably CX J is cheaper?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
CX die-hard here but fail to see how CX J has better food than AA F...on the midnight flights out of HKG/LAX CX only serves a 3/4 meal of 'supper' without proper appetizer and dessert. Meanwhile AA F has more than you can stomach and it's pretty much dine on demand - aren't the wines much better on AA too? (I thought they served LPGS on this route in F).

Lounge wise its exactly neutral for now but may change later this year as AA F gets Flagship First dining at LAX which would be fantastic if it is like its counterpart now up and running at JFK.

The only edge CX has (vast, too) would be service, but I am often considered biased in this aspect.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Aside from what's been written already, note that AA offers PJs and a mattress pad in F (and J), while CX does not in J. Also, AA offers flexible dining options (e.g., all-at-one right after take-off, or held until just before boarding), which on a short flight such as HKG-LAX can be very helpful in maximizing sleep time. I've heard that CX is rolling out dine-on-demand, but don't know if it's in place yet.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:09 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
I always dined whenever I wanted when flying CX J long haul over the past 10 years, so Dine on demand may be more of a marketing pitch.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA + IHG
As the original poster to the question I wanted to let you know how it went.

Flew CX Biz one way and AA first on the way back (LAX - HKG round trip).

Cathay was the winner for one simple reason. The AA first route had screwed up catering. They did not carry any of the wines on their list (I was excited about French and Italian choices) but they instead had South American Malbec and US Merlot. They also did not have all of their food choices. Seat was spacious yes but not much different that the seat in AA BIZ which is a very nice seat. Yes they did have pajamas and a mattress pad but for me personally that does not move to the needle too much.

Bottom line: You know what you are going to get with Cathay...they don't "screw up" catering and while it is always opinion based I truly believe food and wine on CX Biz is WAY better than AA first for this particular route.

*to note; I used a Systemwide to get into AA first and I requested it back and I got it
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cg4040

Cathay was the winner for one simple reason. The AA first route had screwed up catering. They did not carry any of the wines on their list (I was excited about French and Italian choices) but they instead had South American Malbec and US Merlot. They also did not have all of their food choices. Seat was spacious yes but not much different that the seat in AA BIZ which is a very nice seat. Yes they did have pajamas and a mattress pad but for me personally that does not move to the needle too much.

Bottom line: You know what you are going to get with Cathay...they don't "screw up" catering and while it is always opinion based I truly believe food and wine on CX Biz is WAY better than AA first for this particular route.

*to note; I used a Systemwide to get into AA first and I requested it back and I got it

Way to go !!!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

Awhile ago AA had catering problem ex-LAX. Was that the reason?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:09 pm

I flew cathay twice last year from YYZ-BKK. They only offer two meals. For some reason, not sure if if it was Air quality in the plane or Food. I felt sick and was off for day. I pretty much threw up like 7 times during the plane.

Never flew AA, but Cathay is nice and good customer experience.

maybe its because I too much meat this one day? Usually, I eat meat only 3x week usually light.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Seat was spacious yes but not much different that the seat in AA BIZ which is a very nice seat. Yes they did have pajamas and a mattress pad but for me personally that does not move to the needle too much.
I'm surprised you didn't find the AA F seat any different than the AA (or CX) J seat. To me, the extra width of the seat makes a big difference. I'm glad you got to try both. Sorry AA screwed up their catering out of HKG.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't care for CX J food at all, but this isn't a big deal for me because both LAX and HKG have good dining options. My real beef with CX is that they charge really high fares if you don't add a connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.