Wiki Posts
Search

SIN OneWorld staff: extremely impressed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
SIN OneWorld staff: extremely impressed

SIN is well known for being a good airport for transits.
But the OneWorld ground staff there are also on the ball when things go wrong. They are extremely efficient.

I missed the BA12 SIN-LHR flight, due to delays with the QF37 MEL-SIN incoming flight.
No dramas at SIN, though! Myself and a dozen others were greeted on the off ramp, swiftly informed of our rebooked itineraries, swept through immigration and straight on to a coach to a really nice hotel near Orchard Road in central Singapore.

There I had access to complimentary meals and room service. And the final touch was the hotel staff handing me 35 dollars in cash at checkout, for a taxi to Changi airport.

This far exceeded my previous experiences when missing a connection. And I was travelling in Economy and don't have status.
lcpteck and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikem004
... the OneWorld ground staff ... are ... on the ball when things go wrong. They are extremely efficient.

... Myself and a dozen others were greeted on the off ramp ...
Erm, sorry, but who are these people of whom you speak?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henry999
Erm, sorry, but who are these people of whom you speak?
I am speaking of the "greeters" at SIN, who were waiting on the off ramp to meet people with missed connections. Some were dealing with missed BA connections, others with Finnair, etc.
The chap in charge had a OneWorld badge.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I missed the BA12 SIN-LHR flight, due to delays with the QF37 MEL-SIN incoming flight.
That would have been QF's problem to solve. While they may have a OW badge, would not been employed by OW. Probably the company who does QF ground handling
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: QFF
I am speaking of the "greeters" at SIN, who were waiting on the off ramp to meet people with missed connections. Some were dealing with missed BA connections, others with Finnair, etc.
The chap in charge had a OneWorld badge.
There are 2 ground handling companies at SIN, SATS and Danta, that the airlines contract to handle their ground services. Most airlines will only have very few of their own staff based at the airport, for example a duty manager, while everyone else will work for the contracted ground handling company. Across all the oneworld members that fly to SIN (QR, QF, MH, JL, BA, AY, CX), there are maybe only 20 people who actually work for those airlines. The only "oneworld staff" work at oneworld's head office.

The people you saw would have been contract staff working for either SATS or Danta, and maybe a manager working for QF.

oneworld does have a program that monitors flights and proactively rebooks and assists people with short/missed connections, but that is only present at selected member airline hubs, which SIN isn't.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:05 am
Original Poster

>oneworld does have a program that monitors flights and proactively rebooks and assists people with short/missed connections, but that is only present at selected member airline hubs, which SIN isn't. <

All the more impressive, then. Often, you just get the option of joining a massive queue at the transfer desk, or given a telephone number to call.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Wow that is impressive, too bad I don't have much chances to transit SIN since I live here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.