Africa originating DONEx DOH transit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hilton Hhonours Gold (also Marriot and SPG Gold)

I have a question regarding a transit via DOH for a Oneworld Explorer ticket which originated in Maputo. I think I am aware of the relevant fare rules, but am struggling a little to interpret them in these circumstances. Hopefully someone here can help !

The original (and currently) booked itinerary is as follows.

MPM-xDOH-JFK-SEA-LAX-AKL-xHKG-NRT-xDOH-WAW-DOH-LHR-JNB-VFA-JNB-PLZ

The flights through to LHR have already been flown and I am now wanting to change the final four segments to the following :

LHR-CPT-surface-JNB-xDOH-JRO

Basically I am wanting to go via South Africa and end up in Tanzania/Kenya rather than South Africa at the end of the ticket. Having tried to make this change to the booking with BA, the BA Agent is telling me I can't backtrack to the Middle East once I go back to Africa.

The problem is that once we are in South Africa, the only way we can get back up to Kenya or Tanzania on Oneworld is by transiting via somewhere outside Africa - DOH being the most convenient transit hub. And obviously the ticket needs to end up back in Africa somehow.

Is this viable or does it break the rules by taking me out of Africa again once I have finished there already ?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:15 am

This is from memory, so I could be wrong. I believe this breaks the rule of the number of intercontinental departures from continents.

Originally Posted by Brianek
I have a question regarding a transit via DOH for a Oneworld Explorer ticket which originated in Maputo. I think I am aware of the relevant fare rules, but am struggling a little to interpret them in these circumstances. Hopefully someone here can help !

The original (and currently) booked itinerary is as follows.

MPM-xDOH-JFK-SEA-LAX-AKL-xHKG-NRT-xDOH-WAW-DOH-LHR-JNB-VFA-JNB-PLZ

The flights through to LHR have already been flown and I am now wanting to change the final four segments to the following :

Basically I am wanting to go via South Africa and end up in Tanzania/Kenya rather than South Africa at the end of the ticket. Having tried to make this change to the booking with BA, the BA Agent is telling me I can't backtrack to the Middle East once I go back to Africa.

The problem is that once we are in South Africa, the only way we can get back up to Kenya or Tanzania on Oneworld is by transiting via somewhere outside Africa - DOH being the most convenient transit hub. And obviously the ticket needs to end up back in Africa somehow.

Is this viable or does it break the rules by taking me out of Africa again once I have finished there already ?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
the BA Agent is telling me I can't backtrack to the Middle East once I go back to Africa.
Correct

Is this viable or does it break the rules by taking me out of Africa again once I have finished there already?
Yes, it breaks the rules.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
2 stopovers in the continent of origin?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Welcome to FT Brianek

As the others have said, the BA agent is correct

The general rule is:
4(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent
The rule then lists three exceptions that allow a second pair of arrivals & departures to certain continents
One exception allows it for Europe/Middle East; no exception allows it for Africa

Your proposed itinerary has:
  • Two departures/arrivals for Africa
    The 1st pair is MPM-DOH and LHR-CPT
    The 2nd pair is JNB-DOH and DOH-JRO
  • Three arrivals/departures to Europe/Middle East
    The 1st pair is MPM-DOH and DOH-JFK
    The 2nd pair is NRT-DOH and LHR-CPT
    The 3rd pair is JNB-DOH and DOH-JRO

So, it looks like you will have to choose between returning to southern Africa or going to East Africa
(Maybe a JNB-JRO/DAR/ZNZ 1-way ticket is an option for you?)

Last edited by pandaperth; Aug 19, 2017 at 2:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I am now wanting to change the final four segments to the following :

Just curious: why do you want a CPT-JNB surface sector instead of flying Comair/BA?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hilton Hhonours Gold (also Marriot and SPG Gold)
Sorry, I did not answer the question ! The reason was that we wanted to drive the garden route. We ended up finishing the ticket in JRO instead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.